Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Now having lived here about three months, I'd like to open a discussion on COL based on my experience.

When I moved to Black Rock from Austin, I expected my COL to be dramatically more expensive-- because thats what I had consistently been told. Leaving out taxation and purchasing real estate-- which are going to vary from area to area for many, many reasons I found that the COL was really NOT any different here.

Keep in mind that I run a training business that has me all over the country so where I physically live is irrelevant. But I do not get any kind of "increase" when I move....

Ok so here's my breakdown of the averages so far:

*Austin Price listed first than Connecticut price.

Austin Connecticut
Rent: $950 (2 bedroom condo) $1050 (2 bedroom in a multifamily home)
Electric: $145/month $95/month
Cable: $125/month (Cable + Internet) $90/month (Cable + Internet)
Car Ins.: $680/ 6 Months $700/ 6 Months
Dry Cleaning: $225/ Month $135/ Month
Airport Transfers & Parking: $375 Month $135 Month
Cleaning Service: $110/ month $120/ Month
Groceries: $300/ month $300/ Month

I guess my point is here that the rumored increase in COL really didn't come to fruition. My monthly expenses are almost exactly the same. There were even a few surprises here as some things (dry cleaning) proved to be DRAMATICALLY cheaper. Also, not having to run air conditioning 9 months per year cuts down on my electric, and I really don't run the heat very high.

Re: Getting to the airport and parking. Parking at LGA is $33/ day which is about 6x what I paid in Austin-- But I have the option to take public transportation here. I can get from Bridgeport to LaGuardia for $13.00. (MetroNorth to 125th street and M60 to LaGuardia). I didn't have a public transportation option in Austin...

All in all, I think its important for people to know (at least compared to Texas) that the only real differences are taxation and real estate. Other than that everything appears to be evening out.

I'd be interested to hear if others who moved here found the same thing.... I expect the inverse is also true -- That the south is not dramatically cheaper when it comes to COL than the north.

Last edited by mlassoff; 12-30-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
When I lived in CA for half of the year, I found that the COL was not that much different than CT.

That said, I do notice the COL difference between CT and places like TX and very much so. One look on Craigslist is proof. Ad after ad show that you can get a beautiful 2br apartment out there with a pool, fitness center and clubhouse for less than 1k per month. Show me where I can find that in CT.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Interesting. It always makes me wonder how real the claims of things being cheaper elsewhere are true. Food is one thing that is pretty evenly priced across the country. I also found it interesting that groceries were taxed in North Carolina, yet few people talk about that. To me necessities for living should not be taxed. Also, living in an upscale neighborhood in many parts of the country means paying HOA fees and good schools mean paying for private school, not public. These things are kind of hidden so they really are not well known. On top of all of this, most jobs pay better here than other parts of the country. That makes a big difference as well. Thanks for the comparison, Jay

Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Ad after ad show that you can get a beautiful 2br apartment out there with a pool, fitness center and clubhouse for less than 1k per month. Show me where I can find that in CT.
I'm not sure that's a COL difference as much as a lifestyle difference. Developers invested in huge complexes in Texas because land was cheap. I just think the types of complexes you refer to rarely exist in Connecticut.

By the way, I lived in those types of places for years in Texas. They're great. Especially if you like knowing every time your upstairs neighbor walks across the floor, your next door neighbor uses the toilet.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting. It always makes me wonder how real the claims of things being cheaper elsewhere are true. Food is one thing that is pretty evenly priced across the country. I also found it interesting that groceries were taxed in North Carolina, yet few people talk about that. To me necessities for living should not be taxed. Also, living in an upscale neighborhood in many parts of the country means paying HOA fees and good schools mean paying for private school, not public. These things are kind of hidden so they really are not well known. On top of all of this, most jobs pay better here than other parts of the country. That makes a big difference as well. Thanks for the comparison, Jay
This is a myth. It is simply that we have more "executive" level jobs in CT that bring the increase the averages. For the middle class folk, it's pretty even across the board in the US.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I just think the types of complexes you refer to rarely exist in Connecticut.
Just because they don't exist doesn't mean CT is still cheap. Searching for an affordable and decent rental in CT is incredibly frustrating because everything decent is so damned expensive - and if it's not, it's in the ghetto.

Don't you live in one of the most affordable cities in CT?

Quote:
By the way, I lived in those types of places for years in Texas. They're great. Especially if you like knowing every time your upstairs neighbor walks across the floor, your next door neighbor uses the toilet.
Just because you don't enjoy living in them doesn't mean everyone hates them. I lived in a great complex in the LA area where I *never* heard my neighbors, HOA fees weren't too bad, we had a pool, spa, full gym, and a large grocery store within walking distance. Granite counters, beautiful hardwood floors, it was great. I still cannot find anything like this in CT, and if I do, it's $2,000+ per month for a 2 bedroom!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Baloney

Quote:
This is a myth. It is simply that we have more "executive" level jobs in CT that bring the increase the averages. For the middle class folk, it's pretty even across the board in the US.
Not at all. I couldn't disagree more.

Unions in Connecticut for many trade and labor jobs keep the pay dramatically higher for many of these types of jobs.

Supermarket workers in Texas start at about $8/ an hour. Supermarket workers are unionized in Connecticut and make a great deal more. Same with tradesman (plumbers, carpenters, etc).

Texas is a "right-to-work" state which is a bogus politicized name for the fact that collective bargaining is illegal, and there for unions are useless.

The City of Austin starts laborers at about $11.00 an hour. (City of Austin Job Titles, Descriptions and Pay Scales) Check out the titles under Parks. Check out even things like "peace officer". All of these jobs pay dramatically more in Connecticut.

Another example of unionization-- My brother is a teacher. My best friend in Austin is a teacher. My brother with just a few years experience makes over $50K. It took my best friend in Austin almost 15 years to make over $45 and he'll top out at $55.

Salaries are higher here. Go apply for a job elsewhere and see what the offers are. As an employer in Austin when I had my IT company, we used to pay programmers $32.5 - $40K. Why? Cause we could get away with it due to the oversupply.

Unions make a big difference in the pay -- even for non-union jobs by raising the scales overall.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
That may be true for some jobs but I know my company pays more here in Connecticut than they do down south for comparable jobs and they pay even more in more expensive places like Boston, San Francisco and New York. I know someone that wanted to transfer to one of our southern offices and they were told to do so would mean a significant pay cut. It ended up not being worth it to them. Jay

Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I couldn't disagree more.

Unions in Connecticut for many trade and labor jobs keep the pay dramatically higher for many of these types of jobs.

Supermarket workers in Texas start at about $8/ an hour. Supermarket workers are unionized in Connecticut and make a great deal more. Same with tradesman (plumbers, carpenters, etc).

Texas is a "right-to-work" state which is a bogus politicized name for the fact that collective bargaining is illegal, and there for unions are useless.

The City of Austin starts laborers at about $11.00 an hour. (City of Austin Job Titles, Descriptions and Pay Scales) Check out the titles under Parks. Check out even things like "peace officer". All of these jobs pay dramatically more in Connecticut.

Another example of unionization-- My brother is a teacher. My best friend in Austin is a teacher. My brother with just a few years experience makes over $50K. It took my best friend in Austin almost 15 years to make over $45 and he'll top out at $55.

Salaries are higher here. Go apply for a job elsewhere and see what the offers are. As an employer in Austin when I had my IT company, we used to pay programmers $32.5 - $40K. Why? Cause we could get away with it due to the oversupply.

Unions make a big difference in the pay -- even for non-union jobs by raising the scales overall.
Supermarket workers in TX make $8? Interesting, because I know someone who is currently pulling in a whopping $9.50 at Stop and Shop after being there for a year. He is special needs, but it is what it is. A $1.50 difference hardly makes up for the COL difference.

And the reason why teachers make more here is for a few reasons. Schools here perform better which is a result of more work by the teachers and more demand from parents. Also there's a hue and cry from the teacher's union in CT for every little thing in CT (no offense to teachers) - the wheel that squeaks gets the grease.

I ask again - show me a decent rental in CT with the amenities available that we previously discussed at under $1k.

Just because you're living better in CT doesn't mean everyone is, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That may be true for some jobs but I know my company pays more here in Connecticut than they do down south for comparable jobs and they pay even more in more expensive places like Boston, San Francisco and New York. I know someone that wanted to transfer to one of our southern offices and they were told to do so would mean a significant pay cut. It ended up not being worth it to them. Jay
My job in the IT field pays about the same in CA, and even more in Charlotte. It depends on the job.

What I'm talking about are the middle class jobs. People working at the movie theater, the gas station, the Gap, etc. There is no difference in pay for the middle/working class, but there is a huge difference in the COL.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Mlassoff, keep in mind that with housing you're talking about the city of Bridgeport (albeit a very nice part of the city) and not only is the city itself cheaper than surrounding towns, but you're basically on the border of the "less expensive" part of the state and the very expensive areas nearer to NY. I think for much of CT your analysis may be valid, but I bet someone in Stamford or Greenwich may beg to differ and a lot of the "expense" of CT reflects lower Fairfield more than the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut