Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,080 times

Advertisements

Will be working in New Haven and would like to live on the shore. Budget is a max of 600k for a house. It seems like Branford has the most reasonably priced options, but felt sort of congested to me. Guilford has a nice green, but I know very little about it otherwise. Fairfield is familiar to me but seems the costliest. Any opinions on the three out there? We have children, and so schools are important, as is leisure activities and restaurants. We're trying to avoid the "snob" factor, but from previous posts, I know there might be some in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,700 times
The best fit for your family will depend on details. All of these towns are great places to live. If you decide on Branford or Guilford, you will always have the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of the other town without living there. Of course, the same would be true of Fairfield and its neighboring towns.

In my experience, Branford does have a large volume of traffic on Route 1, but it is limited to Route 1. Guilford has a moderate amount of traffic on Route 1 and around the green which is somewhat heightened in the Summer. I am less familiar with Fairfield, but there is generally a higher volume of traffic in Fairfield County -- although not necessarily on local roads -- due to commuters and travelers in transit to/from New York City. Commuters from Guilford and Branford to New Haven on I-95 typically face congestion during rush hours. The Shoreline East train is a good option for anyone in that position.

As for schools, I would say that Fairfield and Guilford are both excellent. Branford has typically been very good. Your children will not be denied opportunities in any of these school systems.

Branford has abundant access to Long Island Sound and coastal scenery. Guilford has a vast amount of publicly-owned wooded land for hiking and natural resource conservation. I am less familiar with Fairfield. If you have questions about specific neighborhoods in Guilford or Branford, please feel free to send a private message.

N

Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
I live in Fairfield and I love it. But it is the most expensive option of the three you listed, and probably the furthest away from New Haven.

Not sure about the commute, but Fairfield would be a reverse commute, so it might be better in that respect. I don't know how much of an issue it would be, but it's something to think about.

You'll definitely have the snob factor to some extent in Fairfield, though it varies depending upon the neighborhood. I'm not sure about Branford and Guilford in that respect.

The only way to really know what suits you best is to spend some time in each place and get a feel for each.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
If you're choosing between Fairfield and Guilford, you really cant' go wrong. I don't know much about Branford except that it is geographically closest to New Haven. I live on the Fairfield border now and love the town. Lots of goings on for families... Great location along 95 and the Meritt Parkway. I can make it from the Bridgeport side of Fairfield to New Haven in 20-25 minutes most of the time. It's a pretty easy commute most days.

Fairfield is the most expensive of the three towns. I think it has better shopping and more restaurant variety than the other two, but is more "urban" in parts.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I agree al three of the towns mentioned are excellent choices. Fairfield is going to be the most expensive. For $600,000 you will will only get a somewhat modest home. In the other towns you will get a very nice home. Also note that commuting to New Haven from Fairfield will not be quite as easy as dazzleman says. While you are going against the majority of the traffic on norhtoubnd I-95 in the morning, there are still significant traffic issues going into New Haven in the morning and coming out on I-95 Southbound at night. Another advantage of Fairfield is hoping on a train and being in Manhattan in a little over an hour. Also there are more shopping options in Fairfield than in Branford or Guilford.

Of the three I personally would probably go with Guilford in your situation. It is a very charming town with a lot of nice homes and very good schools. You will get a very nice home there for your money. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,080 times
Thanks for the input everyone. Seems to confirm my thoughts that Guilford and Fairfield are the two most appealing. I'm not too concerned about traffic- both are reasonable distances. I suppose the next step will be spending some time in each and seeing which feels most like home.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
All three towns are great.

Branford will be the town where you get most for your money. All three have nice town centers - Guilford's being the most quaint IMO. As for the snob factor: I think the most snobs exist in Guilford, the least in Branford. Fairfield is somewhere in between.

I moved to Branford almost 4 months ago and I couldn't be happier here. There is a great mix of lifestyles - many apartments and condos right up to multi-million dollar estates, fantastic restaurants, and many things to do. Fairfield is similar in that respect but the price is much higher due to proximity to Fairfield County and NYC.

My only suggestion is if you don't have to live in Fairfield County for work, then don't. The cost of living is not worth it if you can live east of New Haven. JMO.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,676 times
Guilford is more a family town to me. Branford has a lot of nice parts, but definitely has a lot more run down areas compared to Guilford.

I'd go back to Guilford if I had to chose. Much less congestion and MANY quiet country-like areas. (Great Hill rd) Branford is just waay more industrial.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Guilford is more a family town to me. Branford has a lot of nice parts, but definitely has a lot more run down areas compared to Guilford.

I'd go back to Guilford if I had to chose. Much less congestion and MANY quiet country-like areas. (Great Hill rd) Branford is just waay more industrial.
Branford doesn't really have "rundown" areas IMO. Neighborhoods with older homes are not "rundown", they are just older. The only older area I can think think of is Bradley Street - but even that is just a bunch of very old homes that date to the beginning of the century.

As for being more industrial, the one factory in town near the train station is currently being converted into luxury condominiums. If there are more, please correct me.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,689 times
I live in the Short Beach section of Branford -- least snobby place in CT, fabulous for children, schools are great. for 600k you will get a ton for your money. Mill rate's 28-something. do a search for 'short beach days'. very safe, most folks don't lock their doors. Short Beach, unlike the rest of branford, has its own zoning board and while they are a pain in the a** they are very strict, in the best way possible. Absolutely no mcmansions or new condos here, they're up in arms at the suggestion of a cellphone tower by the dog run. (that's the only bad thing about short beach -- bad cell reception). but few people leave short beach, so it's hard to find a house here. (unfortunately I may have to if I don't get a loan mod, but it won't be by choice. If I had my druthers, they'd carry me out of here feet first). as a lifelong Manhattanite, I also love that it's close to New Haven (great places to eat, decent night life) and I can jump on 95, be in ny in 90 minutes (75 if I go to my brother in Queens). It's like living in a small town here, which I love, it's its own little hamlet. (that said, people will know your business, like any place else with a sense of community -- but they won't necessarily rat you out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut