Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 7,455 times

Advertisements

prayowenmeany,

I can see what you are saying but do they have homes that are at least rent to own because I don't have a problem per say with renting if that means that somewhere down the line I will end up owning what it is I am renting. I live in MAryland right now and I have been renting for ten years now, next year it will be eleven, and I have nothing to show for it. I don't own anything and to just move somewhere else and have to do the same thing all over again is just an unbearable thought. Also if there aren't a lot of houses that you can rent to own then I would feel there is no choice but to buy because I want a house. I'm tired of apartments. I want to give my daughter a back yard to run around and play in and an apartment just won't cut it. So do they have houses that are rent to own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I would say that there a some rent-to-own homes in Connecticut but I would not say that there is a lot. You would need to discuss this with a Real Estate agent that is most familar with the area you end up looking to settle in. They could identify which homes are available on a rent-to-own basis. Jay

Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM

84 posts, read 291,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcladyluv View Post
prayowenmeany,

I can see what you are saying but do they have homes that are at least rent to own because I don't have a problem per say with renting if that means that somewhere down the line I will end up owning what it is I am renting. I live in MAryland right now and I have been renting for ten years now, next year it will be eleven, and I have nothing to show for it. I don't own anything and to just move somewhere else and have to do the same thing all over again is just an unbearable thought. Also if there aren't a lot of houses that you can rent to own then I would feel there is no choice but to buy because I want a house. I'm tired of apartments. I want to give my daughter a back yard to run around and play in and an apartment just won't cut it. So do they have houses that are rent to own?
U have the right idea...renting is a waste of money. by a home and have something to show for ur money. renting is paying someone elses mortgage

Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM

35 posts, read 87,079 times
Are you planning to drive to NYC or take the rail? This would impact the recommendation I give.

I would not rule out a city because the schools are bad. I live in Waterbury which has such horrid public schools one actually lost its accredidation, but what the parents do here is send their kid to a catholic school. Its a trade off though... spend less on a house to live in a less populated area within the city limits and you will 99 times out of 100 be payming more in property taxes (btw, if you havent seen the mill rates here yet, please check soon), plus having to send your kid to a private school for the better system. Its not always the case, but could be.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM

73 posts, read 259,504 times
You can also find a lot of rentals listed on craigslist -- which you can check for almost any town you're thinking about. If you see houses for rent, it's possible those owners might be open to rent-to-buy idea.

I recommend Stratford. Houses in the 200s, many walkable to train, some with very decent back yards for a kid to play.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 7,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelap View Post
Are you planning to drive to NYC or take the rail? This would impact the recommendation I give.

I would not rule out a city because the schools are bad. I live in Waterbury which has such horrid public schools one actually lost its accredidation, but what the parents do here is send their kid to a catholic school. Its a trade off though... spend less on a house to live in a less populated area within the city limits and you will 99 times out of 100 be payming more in property taxes (btw, if you havent seen the mill rates here yet, please check soon), plus having to send your kid to a private school for the better system. Its not always the case, but could be.

I refuse to move to an area that has bad schools. That is one of the major considerations for where I chose to live. I can not afford to put her in private school so that is not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut