Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 PM

21,566 posts, read 30,996,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Because it would be a huge administrative and logistical undertaking.
I don't see how though. As people register their cars, they sign up for EZ pass. Seems pretty simple to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,151,789 times
The other option being floated is "no toll" tolls. Vehicles pass through normal speed and photos taken of the plate, and the bill is mailed to the registered party.

What do people think about instead fully incorporating our weigh stations and taxing loads? The money could be used to reinvigorate freight rail...

~Cheers

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,294,487 times
Considering how much this state likes to tax, and will need it in a few years due to budget problems - I wouldn't be surprised by 2015 it comes along. I personally hope not, but Chicken Little will scream the sky is falling and we buy it.

I live in a border town, where there might be a toll plaza. Sure I can get around it on backroads - but it would take longer from my commute. (I work in Mass., live in Conn.) That and the backroads would be clogged by smart people trying to avoid the tolls.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM

691 posts, read 1,145,104 times
If our state wasn't so ridiculously full of NIMBY's, Southwestern CT's I-95 parking lot would probably be undergoing a project something like this:

http://www.i-95expresstolllanes.com/

Congestion-based toll lane pricing is an idea that would potentially work brilliantly in that section of the state.

At what point is something actually going to be done down there about the 25 mile delay that occurs on a daily basis between Greenwich and Bridgeport?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,783,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
In a perfect world all cars should be required to get an EZPass tag when their vehicle is registered, and that would ultimately lead to complete elimination of the cash lanes and therefore everyone could cruise through at the speed limit. But that would never happen.
Yes, that's just what i'd want. Let Big Brother track my every movement by requiring my car to have an EZPASS. Perfect.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM

9,120 posts, read 13,144,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hopefully just on the state lines coming into CT - in Greenwich, Stonington, Union and Danbury.

It's about time we stop giving these MA, NJ, PA and NY folks free rides through our state. On any given Saturday or Sunday, about half of all cars (maybe more) hold the license plate of a surrounding state.
And then what will happen when these states retailate and surround the Connecticut border with their own tolls?

And don't say it will never happen, my state is desperate right now for money and is looking at everything possible to do it. I have a hunch that making "rich people" from Connecticut pay a big toll to use I-95, I -84 and the Hutchinson River Parkway will be more popular in Albany than raising taxes on "hard-working" New Yorkers.

I for one, don't think we should give politicians any bright ideas like this. Once they raise a tax or a toll they rarely lower it again even after the orginial budget problems are over. Not to mention having more tolls all over the place will make the Northeast economy even less competitive compared to other regions.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM

457 posts, read 900,833 times
For people who don't have EZPass or want to wait in cash lane, Dallas has a "Pay by Mail (http://www.texastollways.com/content/pay.htm - broken link)" system that sends a bill to the registered owner of the car.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
For people who don't have EZPass or want to wait in cash lane, Dallas has a "Pay by Mail (http://www.texastollways.com/content/pay.htm - broken link)" system that sends a bill to the registered owner of the car.
The percent return on Pay by Mail is not great and the costs to enforce payment is high which means that the state would lose money. Plus some people really do not want transponders in their vehicles so "Big Brother" can watch you.

Also while express toll lanes are nice, I-95 does not have the right-of-way width to accommodate separate lanes and there is a lot of very expensive real estate in the way of widening that right-of-way. This type of highway would really impact the towns along the corridor. Again people here don;t like change. Jay

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM

457 posts, read 900,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The percent return on Pay by Mail is not great and the costs to enforce payment is high which means that the state would lose money. Plus some people really do not want transponders in their vehicles so "Big Brother" can watch you.

Also while express toll lanes are nice, I-95 does not have the right-of-way width to accommodate separate lanes and there is a lot of very expensive real estate in the way of widening that right-of-way. This type of highway would really impact the towns along the corridor. Again people here don;t like change. Jay
You are correct; Texas is having trouble collecting from deadbeats. However, the NTTA apparently feels that the cost of collections is more than offset by the headcount savings and the impact to traffic flow. The North Dallas Tollway, easily the busiest tollway in Texas, is going cashless by the end of the year.

As for CT avoiding change, yes, I’ve noticed. If CT were to convert its existing freeways to tolls, going with the cashless system offers the smallest impact to the physical layout of the roads. Higher fees and nothing changes – Connecticut should love it.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM

21,566 posts, read 30,996,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And then what will happen when these states retailate and surround the Connecticut border with their own tolls?
They already exist. There is a toll plaza on 95 right near the CT border in eastern Westchester County. Same goes for Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut