Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM

28 posts, read 99,316 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just bought a house in Durham and are moving into our house soon. Durham reminds me of Wisconsin but with hills and I think I'm really going to like it. I'm just looking for some input from others who are familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 04:14 AM

439 posts, read 721,174 times
Durham is just to the southwest of Middletown less then 10 miles.

Durham is known for its famous fair- 'The Durham Fair' This year taking place on the dates Sept. 22-26- the Fair is one of the largest in the world- the town itself is mostly rural, that has grown into a wealthy suburb. Pop 6200.The Middlefield ski area is also nearby. Shopping in Durham is very limited- there is a large Mall in Meriden to the west, and shopping in Middletown. The charming towns of Ivoryton and Essex are just to the south along the Connecticut river.

Weatherwise -you will find it to be noticeably milder then your present home in the upper midwest. Durham is less then 20 miles from Long Island sound- which moderates the climate-the Atlantic ocean is just to the east. Snow while common, does not usually last long. Nor easters can move up the coast bringing wind and rain in the fall or heavy snow from early winter till early spring. Sleet and freezing rain can make travel tricky in the winter.Temps below zero are not all that common either. Last winter was very mild- Summers can be warm to hot, with periods of unpleasant humidity- lasting for days. 90 degree weather this past summer exceeded 20 days. Central Air is a necessity here now. Generally it is most pleasant from mid April to late June- and from mid August to late November. Spring can begin late, while autumn can last till mid December with mild weather.

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-12-2006 at 04:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 AM

66 posts, read 346,782 times
Durham is very pretty and the Fair. The schools really improved and are #2 in its size in the state behind number 1 overall Joel Barlow of Redding/Weston. For doing things the ice place on 17 is great!!! Go to Madison for the beach: Hammomassett. Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, The Mall, The Farms, in Farmington is very upscale. The outlets in Clinton and Westbrook get you great bargains. Check out Mystic for the aquarium and the seaport. RI has a small zoo and the Bronx Zoo 1 1/2 hours away is one of the top ten in the world and the Bronx is not like it was they fixed it up. Just be careful in certain areas of Middletown or New Haven & Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut