Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 19,720 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job in Milford and we are looking into relocating. We have two kids and are looking for a family friendly town with a good school district. We'd also like to be near shopping, restaurants, etc.

Two of the areas we are looking at are Newington and Glastonbury. Does anyone have information on how the commute to Milford would be? Is it better to be on one side of the river vs. the other? How long do you think it would take to get there? What are the pros and cons of the two areas? Newington seems more affordable, although Glastonbury schools seem better. Any information would be greatly appreciated! We'd look to spend between $400k to $450k on a house. Seems like we could get a lot for our money in Newington, but still could get a small older home in Glastonbury (from my research). Also, we'd like to be in a jewish area. Both towns are closed on jewish holidays and have temples, but curious if one has a larger jewish population than the other.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
The only downside to Glastonbury is it might be a bit further of a commute to Milford since it's east of the river. Personally I like Newington more but Glastonbury is overall a nicer town. Schools in both towns are good, but Glastonbury's are definitely the better of the two. Also you'll find a larger Jewish population here than in Newington. There's at least one if not two synogaugues in town there. You can definitely get a nice-sized house for $450k in Glastonbury, it's considered an upscale area but not so much that there isn't a middle class there unlike the lower Fairfield County.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
They are quite far from Milford (about 40 miles if not a little more for Glastonbury) and as for schools being closed on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, I believe just like in the immediate NYC area (but unlike every town in the Hartford area), virtually EVERY school district between New Haven and the NY State line along the Sound closes for those holidays, including "urban" districts like Bridgeport and New Haven that have very few Jewish students (it's probably either because they "historically" had a higher Jewish population before "white flight" to the suburbs and/or because of a high number of Jewish teachers).

Milford itself isn't too bad and there are nicer nearby towns that are no more expensive than up in Newington or Glastonbury (unlike once you go west of Bridgeport where housing expenses skyrocket!).

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Newington and Glastonbury are both pretty far from Milford (about 45 minutes to an hour). As suggested there might be towns closer to Milford that you should consider.

There are definite differences between Newington and Glastonbury. Newington is more of middleclass community while Glastonbury is more upscale. That said, glastonbury does have a lot of nice homes in your price range so it should not be ruled out. Glastonbury schools are considered excellent but Newington schools are very good too. To me Glastonbury has a bit more charm than Newington. Glastonbury is an old river town with a lot of nice old homes along Main Street which Newington seems to lack. I would strongly suggest that you visit both towns and get a feel for them. Only you can decide which is best for you. Jay

Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 19,720 times
We were considering Newington and Glastonbury due to their proximity to West Hartford, which looks like it has a lot of nice shopping, restaurants, etc. Plus, you seem to get more for your money than further south. Are there any other towns anyone can suggest closer to Milford that we should also consider based on our price range, etc? We will likely be visiting the area soon and would like to go visit a few towns. Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by li2ct View Post
We were considering Newington and Glastonbury due to their proximity to West Hartford, which looks like it has a lot of nice shopping, restaurants, etc. Plus, you seem to get more for your money than further south. Are there any other towns anyone can suggest closer to Milford that we should also consider based on our price range, etc? We will likely be visiting the area soon and would like to go visit a few towns. Thanks so much for your help!!
Orange has plenty of shopping/restaurants/etc. The residential neighborhoods are very nice and the school system is well regarded. I believe Woodbridge would have a larger Jewish population than Orange, but your $$$ won't go as far.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
I second Orange and Woodbridge. Your selection for $450k will be smaller in Woodbridge but it has a strong Jewish community.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
We just had a family move to our town from Newington because they had a child about to enter highschool and did not want their child going to highschool in Newington because of problems in the highschool. I was surprised by this, because I'd never really heard anything negative about Newington schools.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
We just had a family move to our town from Newington because they had a child about to enter highschool and did not want their child going to highschool in Newington because of problems in the highschool. I was surprised by this, because I'd never really heard anything negative about Newington schools.
Newington High school is huge, so there are bound to be some problems. My friend attended Newington High and I never heard of anything serious happening. That was over 10 years ago though so maybe it has gotten worse since then.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Newington High School has about 1,600 students which is not large. Glastonbury High School has over 2,100 which is getting there. There were a couple of problems at Newington a few years back but nothing unusual for a suburban high school. Glastonbury too has had issues over the years, so I don't see a lot of differences. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut