Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 28,881 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to CT in a little over a month and am looking to purchase a condo/townhouse. I came across a nice, new construction complex in the Black Rock Area of Bridgeport. I have avoided Bridgeport in my search because I have heard from numerous sources that it is not a good area. I actually visited some lofts on Lafayette Boulevard and was not impressed with the area. That said, I have heard that Black Rock is, in fact, a nice part of Bridgeport. I also notice on the map that it is on the Bridgeport/Fairfield border and I have heard good things about Fairfield. I live in upstate NY so I can't visit the area for a few weeks. Can anyone familiar with Black Rock (specifically Fairfield Avenue) please give me their opinion of the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM

79 posts, read 303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1908 View Post
I came across a nice, new construction complex in the Black Rock Area of Bridgeport. I have avoided Bridgeport in my search because I have heard from numerous sources that it is not a good area. I actually visited some lofts on Lafayette Boulevard and was not impressed with the area. That said, I have heard that Black Rock is, in fact, a nice part of Bridgeport. I also notice on the map that it is on the Bridgeport/Fairfield border and I have heard good things about Fairfield. I live in upstate NY so I can't visit the area for a few weeks. Can anyone familiar with Black Rock (specifically Fairfield Avenue) please give me their opinion of the area? Thanks!
Black Rock is THE prime area of Bridgeport. Fairfield Avenue is the Black Rock Arts & Entertainment District, lined with some of the best restaurants in Fairfield County, galleries, clubs, an arts center, and the like--the website is
http://www.blackrockrocks.com/ From The Avenue (as it is usually called) you can walk down Gilman Street past a salt marsh noted for bird life to St. Mary's by-the-Sea, a long shoreline promenade reminiscent of the Cliff Walk in Newport. You can also walk around the beautiful old mansions on Grovers Hill, or to the original seventeenth-century seaport village, preserved as a historic district.

Black Rock is full of active and dynamic people who are in love with their community. You will find nothing like the urban decay of some of inner-city Bridgeport in this part of town.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 28,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsower View Post
Black Rock is THE prime area of Bridgeport. Fairfield Avenue is the Black Rock Arts & Entertainment District, lined with some of the best restaurants in Fairfield County, galleries, clubs, an arts center, and the like--the website is
http://www.blackrockrocks.com/ From The Avenue (as it is usually called) you can walk down Gilman Street past a salt marsh noted for bird life to St. Mary's by-the-Sea, a long shoreline promenade reminiscent of the Cliff Walk in Newport. You can also walk around the beautiful old mansions on Grovers Hill, or to the original seventeenth-century seaport village, preserved as a historic district.

Black Rock is full of active and dynamic people who are in love with their community. You will find nothing like the urban decay of some of inner-city Bridgeport in this part of town.
Thank you!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:59 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
There is a good song by O.A.R. called blackrock. Anyways, the area is very nice. If you don't have kids I wouldn't worry about being in bridgeport. Evan if you do have kids you could always send them to a private school, isn't Notre Dame H.S. in that area?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 43,939 times
Personally, I would not move to Bridgeport even if it is the prime spot of Black Rock. You have to remember when you go to sell the property are you going to get a profit. Many people dont want to move into Bridgeport because of the crime. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:59 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Black Rock section of Bridgeport is considered a prime area to live in the city. Beautiful homes, great shops and restaurants, St. Mary's sea walk. All very nice and you will pay a premium to live there, but a LOT less than the suburbs. If schools are not an issue for you it would be fine. If schools are of interest to you, there are several parochial schools in the area and Notre Dame High School in Fairfield. Another interesting perk may be that a new train station is being built just over the Fairfield town line which when open should be a valuable asset to the area.

I would however be careful where in Black Rock you buy though. There is a public housing project on the east side of the Black Rock area that can be a problem. Good luck, Jay

Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Black Rock section of Bridgeport is considered a prime area to live in the city. Beautiful homes, great shops and restaurants, St. Mary's sea walk. All very nice and you will pay a premium to live there, but a LOT less than the suburbs. If schools are not an issue for you it would be fine. If schools are of interest to you, there are several parochial schools in the area and Notre Dame High School in Fairfield. Another interesting perk may be that a new train station is being built just over the Fairfield town line which when open should be a valuable asset to the area.

I would however be careful where in Black Rock you buy though. There is a public housing project on the east side of the Black Rock area that can be a problem. Good luck, Jay
JayCT, where is the new Metro North station going in, exactly? I haven't been able to locate it or determine how far along the station is by doing a search online. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 AM

79 posts, read 303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
There is a good song by O.A.R. called blackrock.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7RRlCDdvdY

Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
JayCT, where is the new Metro North station going in, exactly? I haven't been able to locate it or determine how far along the station is by doing a search online. Thanks.
The station is being built on Frank Street which is off Kings Highway East. There will be a new access road constructed over the railroad tracks from Kings Highway East to Black Rock Turnpike, just north of the Bridgeport town line and Ash Creek. Sout of Ash Creek is Black Rock. I believe construction will start later this year and is expected to be completed in Spring 2009. Jay

Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Thank you--appreciate it. That area should take off in rentals/purchases, or is it already? Good area to buy, I'd guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut