Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 25,687 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Harford area in June and need to know some good AFORDABLE places to live with good schools.

We are moving from the Detroit area where $250,000 can buy a good size home in a great neighborhood. I need help with finding a nice home for a great prices, in a great area with great schools.

I will be working in Windsor Locks and everyone tells me to stay North of Harford and West of the Connecticut River.

Please help! The real estate sites don't seem to have good information.

Thanks

GI Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,965,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe View Post
My family and I will be moving to the Harford area in June and need to know some good AFORDABLE places to live with good schools.

We are moving from the Detroit area where $250,000 can buy a good size home in a great neighborhood. I need help with finding a nice home for a great prices, in a great area with great schools.

I will be working in Windsor Locks and everyone tells me to stay North of Hartford and West of the Connecticut River.

Please help! The real estate sites don't seem to have good information.

Thanks

GI Joe
GI Joe

If working in Windsor Locks; keeping west of the Connecticut river would be appropriate, but not your only possible place to live by far. Keeping north of Hartford is really optional to you as well.

Actually if working in Windsor locks there are great cheaper housing options in great towns just across the Connecticut river in towns like East Windsor, Ellington and to the north east Enfield (also across the CT river near the Mass border) Other great towns east of the river and nearby include South Windsor, and Somers, also consider Vernon. The commute to Windsor Locks is not grueling.

Housing generally in a good town with good schools will be cheaper east of the river. To the north of Windsor Locks is the charming but rather pricey town of Suffield. and to the west is another smaller bedroom community, East Granby,

Simsbury, to the west is a great town, but will have high housing prices.

A new home in towns east of the river in Enfield, Vernon and Ellington will start at about 240K- west of the river it will be much more.

Also have you tried Realtor.com? this site is very informative-
median home prices east of the river will average around 250K west of the CT river about 325K and up- and this is for a 1500 square foot home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. This will get you a Cape or raised ranch- on a small lot. Housing in the Hartford area while not nearly as high as other areas of the northeast, will be considerably higher then Detroit.

You can easily cross the CT river to the east on I 91- very close by- or via I 291 just to the south- so access to the eastern part of metro Hartford is easy for you. So staying north and west is not the only option by far. Windsor Locks by the way is located right on the CT river just north of Hartford.

A new Colonial 2000 square feet in Coventry - in a small town in rural eastern CT about 19 miles from Hartford- with double garage, 1 acre. fireplace, family room, basement,wood floors, etc will start at about 310K- in towns west of Hartford tack on at least another 100K to that price.

Others here will surely offer suggestions as well- feel free to ask more. Good luck and welcome to beautiful Connecticut

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-25-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times
GI Joe - welcome to Connecticut. I am sure that you and your family will love it here. If you are working in Windsor Locks, I would defintiely stay north of Hartford. There are many great towns. I particularly like Granby and East Granby. I found there to be a lot of nice people there and the schools are very good. These towns are bit rural though, so if you don't like traveling, they may not be to your liking. Granby has all of the basics including a newer large supermarket, but if you want to shop for clothing and such, you would have to travel to Enfield which is about 20 minutes away.

Staying west of the river is somewhat of an old wives tale that you still hear occasionally from older people. It is because east of the river use to be poorer and had little to offer in the way of shopping. That has drastically changed. Towns like Glastonbury, South Windsor and Ellington are some of the nicest places to live in the Hartford area. Manchester/South Windsor now has the largest shopping area in the State, Buckland Hills, with just about every major store you could think of.

If you can give us an idea of what you are looking urban, suburban, rural and your idea of price, we could probably help you a little more. JAy

Old 05-26-2007, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 25,687 times
Thanks for the information. I know for a fact I would like to stay out of the city, and prefer either suburban or country setting. But schools are important then followed by affordable pricing. I will look at the areas suggested.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:13 PM

GI J

Since I am not a Realtor- yes avoid Hartford, but also Windsor and East Hartford
beyond that it is not bad. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:33 PM

639 posts, read 2,701,233 times
You still want to be close enough to Hartford so you can enjoy arts, theater, sporting events, dinning ect.....

Old 05-27-2007, 06:25 PM

948 posts, read 3,345,470 times
Default Some other things to think about

Ct has high property taxes and the electric rates are through the roof. Choose your home carefully knowing that. Odds are you'll be looking at a fixer-upper as your price range for Detroit would buy you a small place in need of a lot of tlc here. Another tidbit, if you're a handyman all the better. Finding reliable and honest contractors here is a challenge. Also, there's so much handyman type work that contractors will turn away jobs frequently. It's crazy considering how bad things are elsewhere like Detroit.

Good Luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:01 PM

At 250K you can buy a new home in Vernon- not a fixer upper-

In Ellington 280K gets a nice new home. Perhaps not the size, and perks as Detroit, but in a good town with good schools.

Property taxes vary by town also- Electric rates have yes gone up- conservation helps.

Contractors should be licensed- and checked with the state of Connecticut regarding their history and any complaints.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:16 PM

903 posts, read 3,493,568 times
Wow! Does this bring back memories! We lived in Windsor Locks several years ago (oh gosh, now that I count them, it was 18!) and loved it there. My husband was going to school in Enfield, and I worked in South Windsor. Both a very reasonable commute (less than 30 minutes, even with traffic, weather, etc).

While we lived there, we did a lot of wandering (gas was cheap them!) and found all the towns mentioned quite charming. I often wish we stayed, but were just starting out and $$ was an issue at the time. Just wanted to say I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 13,406 times
Def stay away from the Hartford school system. I went out the other night in Hartford and it was like a scene from a "bad rap video". Try Glastonbury, I have heard good things and it might be cheap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut