U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 PM

3,731 posts, read 4,793,770 times

Advertisements

What's up with the wind?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM

74,042 posts, read 57,425,808 times
Just read that Mt St. Helens just had its second largest earthquake today since its eruption and ironically it was on Valentines day 1981! 30 Aftershocks!

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no..._30_years.html

So off the top of my head, the list of activity increasing is now:

Japan Shinmoedake Volcano (smoke rising)
Iceland Bardarbunga (Lava Rising)
N. Korea Mt. Baekdu
and now Mt. St. Helen Earthquake activity.

All just this year.

Last edited by Cambium; 02-14-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM

4,445 posts, read 9,102,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What's up with the wind?
Front coming through. It will help cool things down alot tonight and Tue...but it will be brief. From Wed onward the southerly flow will get even stronger. They think some stations around the Tri-State could crack 60 F on Friday

Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Enjoy the quiet week folks. Quick cool down tomorrow then a rebound to 40's and 50s. Then here we go with storms after this week..

~ Light showers Saturday

~ Slighter Bigger storm on Tuesday like I been saying for 2 weeks now. Its flip flopping between cold and warm, at this moment its rain, to ice to snow on backend. I think Hartford, Tolland & Windham have best chance at 2-4" right now.

~ Bigger storm on 27th, 28th and 1st..Rain to snow as Artic air comes back down.

Just a note: Even at all snow for the last storm, it would mean 6-8" and I think we all can handle that now a days. lol .. Timing is crucial on this storm. Still too far..
Well...after looking at some different senarios for the March 1st storm, let me present you with the most extreme, worst case for now...Keep in mind we're so far away from this storm that things will change so many times...

But here's something I found which caught my eye on the March 1st storm... The run from last nights 0z.

#1. I was right about it being big.
#2. This particular run shows snowstorm for us. At 1 inch qpf thats 10-14"

But again...dont worry, its 14 days away...I'll let you enjoy this quiet week for now..

That blue line is the 0degree line. Some say the rain/snow line but there's other factors to consider also. 984mb Low is pretty strong. Blues indicate 1"+ moisture

Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 AM

9,754 posts, read 15,789,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Front coming through. It will help cool things down alot tonight and Tue...but it will be brief. From Wed onward the southerly flow will get even stronger. They think some stations around the Tri-State could crack 60 F on Friday
Most almost got to 60 yesterday as well (Newark actually went over 60!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just read that Mt St. Helens just had its second largest earthquake today since its eruption and ironically it was on Valentines day 1981! 30 Aftershocks!

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no..._30_years.html

So off the top of my head, the list of activity increasing is now:

Japan Shinmoedake Volcano (smoke rising)
Iceland Bardarbunga (Lava Rising)
N. Korea Mt. Baekdu
and now Mt. St. Helen Earthquake activity.

All just this year.
HMM.....could mean a cooler than expected summer a la Mt. Pinatubo in 1992.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Wow... ok, ok...I'll let you enjoy the quiet week...

But I'm Dying to tell you what I'm seeing...I'm going to wait until Thursday at least... Dont put your shovels away.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Most almost got to 60 yesterday as well (Newark actually went over 60!).

Yea, I did see that later. Hartford hit 55 F and I think Atlantic City hit 64 F. Once this cool shot fades today, the southelry flow will get even stronger in the coming days. I think even 70 F is an outside shot in the city and maybe central NJ. Interior southern Connecticut should see 60 - 62 F. We'll see.

It's nice to use up late winter days with warm weather

Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 AM

9,765 posts, read 9,450,747 times
Quote:
Yea, I did see that later. Hartford hit 55 F and I think Atlantic City hit 64 F. Once this cool shot fades today, the southelry flow will get even stronger in the coming days. I think even 70 F is an outside shot in the city and maybe central NJ. Interior southern Connecticut should see 60 - 62 F. We'll see.

It's nice to use up late winter days with warm weather
My you are chatty with the warm weather!! Like you came out from under a rock

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
My you are chatty with the warm weather!! Like you came out from under a rock
Well most carbon based life prefers sunny 50 to 90 F weather…rather than 15 F windchills, tundra snow, and cloudy skies.

I hope you are not one of those winter fans who get depressed near the end of winter (a reversed SAD?) I think they call it MADD.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM

9,765 posts, read 9,450,747 times
Quote:
Well most carbon based life prefers sunny 50 to 90 F weather…rather than 15 F windchills, tundra snow, and cloudy skies.

I hope you are not one of those winter fans who get depressed near the end of winter (a reversed SAD?) I think they call it MADD.
HAha...I live in North Carolina so I dont have to worry about that as it stays pretty moderate. Na..when summer comes I go north as much as I can. We still get the seasons here..thank goodness. How anyone could live in Florida is BEYOND me. Oh and 50-70 I agree with 90???? NO...most people hate hot weather especially males. You are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!