Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 02:04 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here's Norwalk's temp at 1:00pm from Weather Channel... We blew the old record for today out of the water....La Nina making a comeback. Winter Haters Beware!
If I'm not mistaken, the state record is 105 in Danbury in 1991, that was at an official NWS weather station (the airport there).

The 106 you show (and the 108 in Milford you quoted) probably has to be verified by the NWS. It doesn't mean it's not true (LOTS of state records are at unofficial secondary "spotter" weather stations, though in many cases it's because they occurred in the first half of the 20th century which they're a bit more lenient for some reason (for example, I'm quite suspect of the NY State record of 108 in 1926 in Troy, near Albany, as Albany "only" recorded 100 and no other "official" station in the northeast was over 100......the "real" record is probably the 107 recorded at LaGuardia Airport on July 3, 1966 as it was 103 in Central Park and 105 in Newark that day....even Bridgeport on the water hit 100)).

And I think they're going to really be on the lookout this time. WCBS News Radio 88 noted today that the high so far initially was 106 at Newark, which would not be the NJ state record but would be the city/airport's record (they have a lot of 105 "ties" going from the 1930s to the 90s, including the 1966 day I note above) but the NWS checked it out and said there was an error and the "high" is really 103 (still a record for the date). And that's at one of their OFFICIAL stations with manned gov't personnel.

The fact that the 104 in Baltimore, well south of CT, is the highest reading so far means the NWS is going to be quite suspect of secondary "spotter" stations for state records. The 101 reading at Bradley will help it's cause but the fact that much closer Danbury "only" got to 98 so far and Bridgeport isn't even 95 won't help.

But touchee to Snowman27, who in May said on this thread it would be a hot summer.

An interesting side note that shows that we've actually had some cool summers lately, I was visiting some relatives in northeast PA this long weekend and a local TV station noted there that if they get 3+ 90-deg or more days in a row out of this it will be their first heat wave in FOUR YEARS! (they are in the mountains and are usually a bit cooler than even rural, inland parts of CT).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 07-06-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM

Hate to post twice, but this site shows all the Tri-State area high temps and records (even Bridgeport, which I said in my last post didn't get to 95 yet got to 98 and tied its record for the date) and notes the problem at Newark that I mentioned in my last post:

National Weather Service Text Product Display

I'm pretty sure Hartford broke their record too.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
But touchee to Snowman27, who in May said on this thread it would be a hot summer.

An interesting side note that shows that we've actually had some cool summers lately,
Thank You. I say so many things at different points it's hard to remember what I said. LOL But thanks for remembering.,..I did mention that when I noticed El Nino was ending and it was heading towards Neutral Phase. Plus the way the weather was acting in May.

Yes, past summers have been cool and I know this from the way my garden had looked past 2 years.... You have to see it now....WOW...LOL Dark Green leaves and explosion growth. Watered them 3 times today.

If La Nina stays weak...we're gonna be in for one fridgid winter!! But lets wait till September to make that call.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thank You. I say so many things at different points it's hard to remember what I said. LOL But thanks for remembering.,..I did mention that when I noticed El Nino was ending and it was heading towards Neutral Phase. Plus the way the weather was acting in May.

Yes, past summers have been cool and I know this from the way my garden had looked past 2 years.... You have to see it now....WOW...LOL Dark Green leaves and explosion growth. Watered them 3 times today.

If La Nina stays weak...we're gonna be in for one fridgid winter!! But lets wait till September to make that call.
Oh, hey Snowman, why'd you change your name? I was wondering who this "Cambium" guy with 800 posts who suddenly appeared on this forum was

Found nothing on a potential state record in Norwalk or Milford, but this article: Record Heat in Connecticut | NBC Connecticut (http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/weather/stories/Mercury-Rising-97862899.html - broken link) says that Bradley tied it's all-time high of 102 (since they're not saying it's Hartford's all-time high, I'm guessing that Brainard and/or if a "city office" station took readings before Bradley came to be had a higher temperature at one time.....though the Weather Channel's daily averages and record highs and lows seem to include years that pre-date BDL so it very well may have tied the all-time high temperature for Hartford).

Speaking of which, I looked it up, the state record set in Danbury was actually 106 on July 15, 1995.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It was 104 according to my car thermometer when I was driving home. To my un-airconditioned house. Without the AC on in the car, because there's this really nasty rattle under the hood and I'm afraid the vibrations will cause the catalytic converter to fall off while I'm driving.

Inside the house it was a balmy 98. Joy.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Weather Channel says that 102 in Hartford tied it's ALL-TIME high, presumably for all locations in the areas (i.e. Bradley vs. Brainard, etc.):

Hottest in Years - weather.com

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
The NWS just came out with this:
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
509 PM EDT TUE JUL 6 2010

...HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORDS FOR JULY 6TH BROKEN OR TIED AT ALL SIX
WFO NEW YORK NY CLIMATE SITES.

.....TEMPERATURE.....TIME (LDT).....PREVIOUS RECORD
CENTRAL PARK NY........103............311 PM...........101 1999...
LA GUARDIA NY..........103............342 PM...........101 1999...
JFK ARPT NY...............101...........1240 PM............99 1999...
ISLIP NY....................101............255 PM............99 1999...
BRIDGEPORT CT..........98...........1252 PM............98 1999...
NEWARK NJ..............103*..........1234 PM...........102 1999...

*NOTE: SENSOR CALIBRATION ERROR OCCURRED AT NEWARK NJ. OFFICIAL
TEMPERATURE OF 103 WAS MEASURED BY FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

Reminds me of those old fashioned tropical East Coast summers of the 1950’s: Heat, humidity, and hurricanes – lol. It's shaping up to be a long hot summer folks!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
Anyone else tired of the warm, humid weather?

All these days straight of high 80s - low 90s with dewpoints 67 or above... I've had enough for a little while. And yet we're getting another week plus.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Anyone else tired of the warm, humid weather?

All these days straight of high 80s - low 90s with dewpoints 67 or above... I've had enough for a little while. And yet we're getting another week plus.
Amen. Can you imagine how nice last July felt? The dewpoints are a double whammy...the nights/morning have not been getting below 70 F for a long time.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
And yet we're getting another week plus.
I am so thankful it rained today. My lawn and gardens needed it. My lawn looks terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut