Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times

Advertisements

I hate humidity. When it is hot and humid, I just can't sleep -- or breathe for that matter. Cold and damp is nearly as bad.

Every year I stay in this stewpot of summer humidity in the east could well be used as evidence for the proposition that I'm dumber than dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I hate humidity. When it is hot and humid, I just can't sleep -- or breathe for that matter. Cold and damp is nearly as bad.

Every year I stay in this stewpot of summer humidity in the east could well be used as evidence for the proposition that I'm dumber than dirt.
I much as I totally agree with you about the humidity, I can assure you that 100+ even in dry weather is just as brutal.

After experiencing 107*+ in the Southwest I best describe it like this: "If you want to know what Southwestern dry heat feels like, take your hair dryer and stick it in your face. When it hurts, keep it there a little longer and you'll understand 'dry heat'." Same for the Winter. Yea, it was "only" -5 with a decent wind and no sun in the upper Midwest but it was "dry cold". I thought my damned face was going to crack and fall off my face in the first 5 minutes!

That's why I say, NorCal is for me aside from the fruits and nuts.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Anyone got caught in that downpour in Stamford this morning? It was crazy how fast it went from light to dark and windy with lots of old leaves blowing on 95-S

So I got off exit 8 and while slowing moving forward lightning stuck somewhere near the Stamford train station.. Amazing how loud the thunder was.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I much as I totally agree with you about the humidity, I can assure you that 100+ even in dry weather is just as brutal.

That's why I say, NorCal is for me aside from the fruits and nuts.
I understand what you're saying. NorCal is great. And for me high country Colorado summers are perfect - warm days, cool nights.

But I really don't mind desert heat -- as long as I have shade and water. I'm probably unusual that way, but I don't feel really bad until it gets over 110 or so if the humidity is low enough. I've spent a lot of time in the southwest deserts, and I really enjoy it there, heat and all.

That's why my vacation plans are always very simple: head west.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
This morning I was in Plainfield, and it was looking very very dark down about Griswold way.

Speaking of loud thunder, I remember about the 4th of July 2004. There was a massive 45 minute long thunderstorm which rolled through here at 3-4 in the morning. Some of the thunder was so close and so loud, it shook the house.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
I forgot too Stamford turns into one giant pool when it rains hard

Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I understand what you're saying. NorCal is great. And for me high country Colorado summers are perfect - warm days, cool nights.

But I really don't mind desert heat -- as long as I have shade and water. I'm probably unusual that way, but I don't feel really bad until it gets over 110 or so if the humidity is low enough. I've spent a lot of time in the southwest deserts, and I really enjoy it there, heat and all.

That's why my vacation plans are always very simple: head west.
Nothing wrong with that...if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I die in extreme heat of any kind. Just not my bag. Although I will say that Flagstaff AZ has a pretty nice climate...just no ocean.

This Summer is KILLING ME. I have sweat running off my chin like there is a hose over my head. No joke. I can literally wring my t-shirt out and at the end of the day it takes 5-7 minutes in the shower to rinse all the salt out of my hair so it doesn't sting my eyes. Times like this sitting in the truck eating lunch with the AC on MAX is the only repreive. (I have a garbage bag over the seat so I don't soak it. LOL )

I'd rather be out working in 15* weather than this any day...at least I won't pass out from heat stroke.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Phoenix man suffers 2nd degree burns after walking on hot street

Just saying...

Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL The guy only went half way across the street and lost half the skin on his feet and couldn't make it back to the grass without two people carrying him!

But, it's a "dry heat".

Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL The guy only went half way across the street and lost half the skin on his feet and couldn't make it back to the grass without two people carrying him!

But, it's a "dry heat".
What amazes me is that people stop to chat while walking their dogs. Their poor pads! I have one dog who yelps walking across my deck to get to the back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut