Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm still thinking a "2nd half winter" this year. I was 50% wrong last year saying snowless but fridgid... this year I say warm & average rains first half very Cold & snowy 2nd half.

I'm picking peppers from backyard in mid October!!!
That's funny because Accu Weather thinks the exact reverse.....a "1st half winter" kind of like last year but less intense....they even predicted a NYC seasonal snowfall total of about 30-35" (half of last winter but still slightly above normal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
And just like that, last run of GFS says What storm. What cold. It went with the model showing no cold temps next week.

I'm sure it will come back again tomorow. LOL. But notice the trend..

We're going to stay average...

Next pattern change should be around mid December.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That's funny because Accu Weather thinks the exact reverse.....a "1st half winter" kind of like last year but less intense....they even predicted a NYC seasonal snowfall total of about 30-35" (half of last winter but still slightly above normal).
maybe with the pattern change for mid December the cold air starts rushing in and then the snows after holidays to follow. Our blizzards last year stopped Jan. 27th. It was a first half winter.

This year the snow would be spread out instead of just 3 big storms but I think the cold air would be locked in place after Jan. 15th thats why I think a 2nd half.

BTW central park now #4 on wettest year list..Your right going into 2nd. Wow.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
I saw AccWeather prediction....colder in the first half of winter Dec/Jan...then milder the 2nd half (Feb/early March).

However, I've been watching temps up in Northwest Canada very carfully, there is a scary lack of cold air up there. My guess (just a guess) is unless we see a really deep build up or Polar high pressure over NW Canada very soon, like the first week of November - I just can't see how the first month of winter (Dec) will be anything but mild in the Tri-State area. Remember, for us to really get alot of snowy/cold weather, temps need to run at least a little below normal. Normal temps give us touch and go snow/cold...and above normal temps, well there is little true winter weather most of the time.

I think 30 -35 inches of snow in NYC is really on the high side - my guess is more like 15 to 25 inches.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
Seems like every year October just becomes warmer and warmer frost becoming little later than normal

Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I saw AccWeather prediction....colder in the first half of winter Dec/Jan...then milder the 2nd half (Feb/early March).

However, I've been watching temps up in Northwest Canada very carfully, there is a scary lack of cold air up there. My guess (just a guess) is unless we see a really deep build up or Polar high pressure over NW Canada very soon, like the first week of November - I just can't see how the first month of winter (Dec) will be anything but mild in the Tri-State area. Remember, for us to really get alot of snowy/cold weather, temps need to run at least a little below normal. Normal temps give us touch and go snow/cold...and above normal temps, well there is little true winter weather most of the time.

I think 30 -35 inches of snow in NYC is really on the high side - my guess is more like 15 to 25 inches.
Time will tell but that does make sense. That is a good description of what local winters were like from the late 1980s to about the early 2000s and the science behind them.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Seems like every year October just becomes warmer and warmer frost becoming little later than normal
Cool observation, I'll come back with actual numbers for you.. It does feel like that so Im curious myself.

Here's a short video that shows the temperatures for the U.S for this time period last year.

U.S Daily Temps October-December 2010 - YouTube

Old 10-21-2011, 04:14 AM

NOAA Releases 2011-2012 Winter Outlook - weather.com

Doesn't say much one way or another for here though.....

Worth the Wait: East Treated to Cool, Fall-Like Weekend (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/56662/worth-the-wait-east-treated-to.asp - broken link)

In relation to some recent posts, funny how this article says we're getting a "fall-like weekend" when it is the middle of autumn.....I guess winter is the new fall, LOL!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:

Worth the Wait: East Treated to Cool, Fall-Like Weekend (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/56662/worth-the-wait-east-treated-to.asp - broken link)

In relation to some recent posts, funny how this article says we're getting a "fall-like weekend" when it is the middle of autumn.....I guess winter is the new fall, LOL!

That is hilarious! Geez a fall -like weekend in late October..shows how the heat has almost become expected....

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:

This October has been very mild. NWS Bridgeport is running 4.7 F above average (monthly mean temp is 61.4 F as of today). Down here at the coast it has been pretty mild. I wounld't worry, as the solar angle keeps decreasing, cold air to our north has to start to develop sooner or later.

Over the years the more I think about it, the more I think our immediate local area climate (meaning CT/NYC/northern NJ) is always ready to go either way weather wise; Some years a very cool fall sets in right after late September...then we are getting cool to cold weather by mid October. Some years, like this year so far, summer-like weather just keeps coming and coming until early November. It really is a crap shoot. My bamboo is still the best weatherman(lol). When the new leaves really start coming out and the dry ones that baked all summer fall off - I know cooler weather is finally here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut