Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 AM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times

Advertisements

It looks like no flurries fell in NYC or Bridgeport up to midnight (based on the daily climate report). Can't tell regarding from then to this morning (hourly updates show simply "overcast", but sometimes it just happens between hours and you don't know until it's reflected on the "daily climate update" around 4 or 5 pm), but if nothing was recording in the wee hours this morning I think it is a true rare "snowless" December given that highs near 50 and lows above freezing are expected thru and until Tuesday.

Radar is showing flurries right now right on the CT-MA border though.

Interestingly, the PHI (Philly) offices are saying snow showers (no mix) the morning of Jan. 2nd for all their zones except southern coastal NJ (rain) even though OKX (NYC) is showing just rain except for maybe a mix from about Bridgeport on east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well, the latest it's ever snowed more then 1" was:

For Bridgeport, during the winter of 1979-80, the first >1" snowfall did not occur until March 13.
For NYC - Central Park, during the winter of 1997-98, the first >1" snowfall did not occur until March 22.

Thats going to be hard to beat but anything is possible I guess.
Interesting side note, the one other winter (using Central Park, could be true for Bridgeport but their weather station didn't begin until 1948) where the first >1" of snow didn't occur until March was in 1918-19 (don't know the date but it was obviously before the 22nd).

I wonder if 1979-80 had a lot of snowfalls <1" that "added up" or if all the snows until March were from NYC on westward because OKX shows (for NYC) 3.5" for December, 2.0" for January, and 2.7" for February. BOX site used to have Bridgeport snowfall statistics (they covered ALL of CT until I believe 2002 when OKX took over the coastal counties, I think ALY (Albany) took over Litchfield then too), but it's not there anymore (OKX only shows the stats for Central Park). They did have Bradley Airport stats and I found something very interesting. They had 1.7" on October 9, 1979 but didn't get more than 1" of new snow in a single snowfall until Feb. (HMM, sounds familiar?). So this is a good sign about my theory regarding Bridgeport vs. NYC in the 1979-80 winter (i.e. snows were bigger to the west until March, I'm presuming the 7.7" Hartford got in Feb. 1980 was rain or a mix along the CT coast/NYC).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 12-30-2011 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM

83,285 posts, read 74,525,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I wonder if 1979-80 had a lot of snowfalls <1" that "added up" or if all the snows until March were from NYC on westward because OKX shows (for NYC) 3.5" for December, 2.0" for January, and 2.7" for February. BOX site used to have Bridgeport snowfall statistics (they covered ALL of CT until I believe 2002 when OKX took over the coastal counties, I think ALY (Albany) took over Litchfield then too), but it's not there anymore (OKX only shows the stats for Central Park). They did have Bradley Airport stats and I found something very interesting. They had 1.7" on October 9, 1979 but didn't get more than 1" of new snow in a single snowfall until Feb. (HMM, sounds familiar?). So this is a good sign about my theory regarding Bridgeport vs. NYC in the 1979-80 winter (i.e. snows were bigger to the west until March, I'm presuming the 7.7" Hartford got in Feb. 1980 was rain or a mix along the CT coast/NYC).
Wow - excellent stats. Good point about the monthly totals for 79-80 I'll have to look into that. Maybe it was just 1/2" a few times those months.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Wow - excellent stats. Good point about the monthly totals for 79-80 I'll have to look into that. Maybe it was just 1/2" a few times those months.
Actually, now that I think about it the 3.5 in December and 2.0 in January could have been easily just 4-6, 1/2" accumulations. So It's possible 1979-80 latest >1" snows was in March. It came from NWS Upton themselves so Im pretty sure its accurate.

With no big storms still in picture till after mid month it's sure looking like its possible again this year...but I do believe after mid month we will start to see storms once again. Might even be one on the 9th along a cold front.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it the 3.5 in December and 2.0 in January could have been easily just 4-6, 1/2" accumulations. So It's possible 1979-80 latest >1" snows was in March. It came from NWS Upton themselves so Im pretty sure its accurate.

With no big storms still in picture till after mid month it's sure looking like its possible again this year...but I do believe after mid month we will start to see storms once again. Might even be one on the 9th along a cold front.
Remember, the numbers I gave were CENTRAL PARK numbers for the 1979-80 winter, as I couldn't find Bridgeport stats. I also noted that Bradley Airport (Hartford) (after a "Snowtober" on 10/9/79) had less than an inch of snow total each of the other months until February that same year. So it's very possible that Dec.-Feb. NYC had at least one snowfall over an inch but Bridgeport didn't (i.e. maybe one fall was like 1.5" in Central Park and 0.9" in Bridgeport, another <1" for both, etc., maybe a third one where NYC had say 2.5" and Bridgeport 0.7".....note: I'm making these examples up, don't know the real numbers) and that Bridgeport had less snow than CPK each of those months to begin with.

Just clarifying.....was never denying the record, just finding it interesting in how it contrasted with a weather station also on the coast just 40-50 miles away (yet almost agreed completely with another one inland in a different direction just a little more the same distance away).

By the way, January 2000 is a very good example of things suddenly "changing" mid month. First two weeks had lots of highs in the 50s, even a couple of 60-deg readings, then the last two weeks AVERAGED in the low 20s and had 9" of total snow.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM

Daily climate report came out, no flurries this morning in Bridgeport (or anywhere in the tri-state area for that matter). So unless snow somehow mixes into tonight/tomorrow morn's predicted precip (likely to be too warm for that), looks like a very rare no snow period in December this year.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Looks like a drizzle/light rain to end the 2011 year. Anyone realize how warm it was today?? (mid 50s) I cant wait to see the December temp totals.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM

From upton. LOLOLOL "few hundredths of an inch"

Quote:
A CLIPPER SYSTEM IMPACTS THE AREA INTO
MONDAY MORNING. PRECIPITATION SHOULD BEGIN AS LIGHT RAIN
SHOWERS...THEN MIXING WITH AND CHANGING TO SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT SUNDAY NIGHT. WITH ONLY A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH OF QPF EXPECTED...NOT EXPECTING ACCUMULATING SNOW FOR THE INTERIOR.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Interesting analysis of this snowless month by Joe Rao of News 12 (Westchester). I like the analogy to no-hitters and perfect games in baseball (snowless Decembers being like perfect games, Decembers with nothing but traces of snow being like no-hitters):

Election Results (http://www.news12.com/blogs.jsp?widgetblogslink=http://blogs.news12.com/westchester/2011/12/23/so-far-we-have-a-perfect-game/ - broken link)

(I know the link says "election results" but I tested it and it went to the right spot. I didn't want to copy/paste his long blog here, but will if the link doesn't work for some reason).

Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 AM

308 posts, read 677,168 times
el nino winters after double ninas. look for a nasty winter next year (el nino likely) http://pic.twitter.com/J1YgRpO5
pic.twitter.com/J1YgRpO5

Last edited by CarolinaOnMyMind; 12-31-2011 at 12:21 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Election Results (http://www.news12.com/blogs.jsp?widgetblogslink=http://blogs.news12.com/westchester/2011/12/23/so-far-we-have-a-perfect-game/ - broken link)
That link only works for people who live in lower FFC.

Everyone here keeps referring to this December as "snowless" in the tri-state area, but Ct. got as much as two inches earlier in the month. Only some areas were snowless, but I'm more interested in Ct.'s weather. I'm awfully happy the winter has been mild so far though, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this continues. We didn't hit the mid 50's in my area yesterday, but it was unusually mild. I still have a pansy blooming in my backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut