Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 01:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
2 things helped keep temps from dropping lower. No Winds and No healthy snow pack. It was an impressive drop from Siberia but those 2 things prevented it from breaking records around here.

Central park temp was posted here. //www.city-data.com/forum/22389043-post70.html
Wait Camb..you sure? I think no wind allows the air temps to drop LOWER. Wind creates friction which does not allow cooling as fast. The temps may FEEL colder with wind but as far as I know a windless , clear , snow pack ground is the perfect formula for a very low air temp....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wait Camb..you sure? I think no wind allows the air temps to drop LOWER. Wind creates friction which does not allow cooling as fast. The temps may FEEL colder with wind but as far as I know a windless , clear , snow pack ground is the perfect formula for a very low air temp....
Pretty sure a NorthWest wind with a healthy snowpack would push down colder air then refridgerate it. The real feel would have been much worse but the temps might have been just a couple degrees (not much) colder. Let me know if you find anything out.

Another blast coming...will post in other thread.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I checked the daily climate page for yesterday for Bridgeport...they still show zero snowfall for the day and the month. Could this be an error, or did the flurries never reach the ground in Bridgeport?

As far as lows last night...my low was 12.6 F...my coldest temp since last January. Tonight looks to be 10 F warmer, so this could well be my low for this winter.
LOL, you're right! The original report they do the "day of" around 4:30-5pm showed a trace in Bridgeport. I don't know if it's an error or not.

Forecast is showing chance of flurries throughout the tri-state tonight, so we'll see.......

Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure a NorthWest wind with a healthy snowpack would push down colder air then refridgerate it. The real feel would have been much worse but the temps might have been just a couple degrees (not much) colder. Let me know if you find anything out.

Another blast coming...will post in other thread.

Here is the answer

Q: Why is the coldest weather associated with light or no wind?

A: The coldest temperatures usually occur when the wind is light or calm because the air isn’t mixing. During light or calm winds, the coldest air settles toward the Earth’s surface, where we live. However, when it’s windy, air feels colder to the exposed skin because of the wind chill.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Here is the answer

Q: Why is the coldest weather associated with light or no wind?

A: The coldest temperatures usually occur when the wind is light or calm because the air isn’t mixing. During light or calm winds, the coldest air settles toward the Earth’s surface, where we live. However, when it’s windy, air feels colder to the exposed skin because of the wind chill.
Hmm, I know about the real feel but thats a vague statement not mentioning where the winds are blowing from. If they are from the south then yes, warm air mixing wouldnt help. There needs to be wind to push the Jet/Trough of cold air south so wind has to be present.

Here's a PDF file from NOAA...I'm still curious about the science of it.

"Why has it been so warm lately?"

"Also, when the winds blow in from the north and northwest, they aren’t blowing over a snowpack and cooling down."

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/top/w...ember_2011.pdf

Then there's the question about the Low Level Jet.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM

308 posts, read 680,057 times
Solar cycle update: sunspots down, Ap index way down. Low AP has correlation to blocking.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I know about the real feel but thats a vague statement not mentioning where the winds are blowing from. If they are from the south then yes, warm air mixing wouldnt help. There needs to be wind to push the Jet/Trough of cold air south so wind has to be present.

Here's a PDF file from NOAA...I'm still curious about the science of it.

"Why has it been so warm lately?"

"Also, when the winds blow in from the north and northwest, they aren’t blowing over a snowpack and cooling down."

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/top/w...ember_2011.pdf

Then there's the question about the Low Level Jet.

Yes wind has to be present in the upper atmosphere..not at the surface.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes wind has to be present in the upper atmosphere..not at the surface.
Much more science than that. A snowpack will keep temps cooler so ask yourself what happens when you get winds over that snowpack. Areas around it will get cooler.

Best analogy I can think of is, grab an ice tray from the freezer place it on the table on one end. Blow over the ice tray and the air temp on other end of table will be cooler. Now imagine a Canadien snowpack or NorthEast snowpack. So surface winds do help keep it cool IF theres a snow pack and IF the winds are from the NW.

Then there's the whole air conditioning analogy regarding upper air and surface layer.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Looks like snow was just missed last night. It appears an area from southern NJ down to DC got enough that some areas got dustings.....

Interesting that the record for Bridgeport and NYC would've been broken if it weren't for Oct. 29. No precip in forecast until the 12th and that may be all rain.....(I'm guessing Sunday's storm (which appeared to be rain too) has weakened or is missing us as NWS is saying "mostly cloudy" everywhere now.......

Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Looks like snow was just missed last night. It appears an area from southern NJ down to DC got enough that some areas got dustings.....

Interesting that the record for Bridgeport and NYC would've been broken if it weren't for Oct. 29. No precip in forecast until the 12th and that may be all rain.....(I'm guessing Sunday's storm (which appeared to be rain too) has weakened or is missing us as NWS is saying "mostly cloudy" everywhere now.......
Isnt it amazing.
Reading the special statement for NJ sounds like they got a little snow.
Quote:
...SOME ICY CONDITIONS THIS MORNING...
LAST NIGHT'S LIGHT SNOW HAS LEFT SOME ICY CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED ROADS EARLY THIS MORNING.
10 Degrees Above average Saturday? lol
Too dry around here for the "light" moisture now to get to surface. I dont see anything measureable for the next 8 days. Lets see if that can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut