Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Current snow depth vs monthly normals.
I couldnt find Jan 4th normals so I used the entire month.

It only takes one storm to put down a healthy snow depth but its still amazing to see the current colorless maps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Here is the answer

Q: Why is the coldest weather associated with light or no wind?

Still looking into this cause it peaked my interest. I always hear about the snowpack cooling temps down & I thought wind would help further.

But everytime I find something it doesnt give a full senario. For instance like this below doesnt tell you that the layer above us can actually be cooler then the surface so there wouldnt be "mixing" of warm air.. I mean in winter the air above us is almost always a few degrees colder(sometimes more) thats why rule of thumb is temps drop 3.5 degrees every 100 feet of mountain you climb.

USATODAY.com

Q: Why do fruit growers use wind machines to circulate air to prevent freezing?
A: On calm, clear nights, the Earth radiates energy to space efficiently, with air near the surface cooling rapidly as the ground cools. This stubborn layer of cool air, called an inversion layer, is topped by warmer, lighter air. Without surface winds to push it around, this inversion layer will continue to get colder during the overnight hours and could result in freezing of fruit and tender vegetation. Wind machines are used to break up this inversion layer, mixing warmer air from above down to the surface to keep temperatures from dropping to the freezing mark.

And this doesnt mention a healthy snowpack which would have cooler air above it.

Q. I was wondering if the Appalachian range could have the same effect on cities on the East Coast?
A: Yes, winds flowing down the Appalachians do warm up as they descend. Descending air always warms at the rate of 5.5 degrees F for each 1,000 feet of descent. On the east side of the Rockies the winds might descend 7,000 feet from the mountain tops to the Plains below, warming by around 38 degrees. In the East, the winds would descend only around 2,000 feet, warming up by about 11 degrees. This is why in the summer, northeast winds that you would expect to be cool actually warm parts of the East. "Chinook winds" are the ones that blow down the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains in Canada and the USA.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Still looking into this cause it peaked my interest. I always hear about the snowpack cooling temps down & I thought wind would help further.

But everytime I find something it doesnt give a full senario. For instance like this below doesnt tell you that the layer above us can actually be cooler then the surface so there wouldnt be "mixing" of warm air.. I mean in winter the air above us is almost always a few degrees colder(sometimes more) thats why rule of thumb is temps drop 3.5 degrees every 100 feet of mountain you climb.

USATODAY.com

Q: Why do fruit growers use wind machines to circulate air to prevent freezing?
A: On calm, clear nights, the Earth radiates energy to space efficiently, with air near the surface cooling rapidly as the ground cools. This stubborn layer of cool air, called an inversion layer, is topped by warmer, lighter air. Without surface winds to push it around, this inversion layer will continue to get colder during the overnight hours and could result in freezing of fruit and tender vegetation. Wind machines are used to break up this inversion layer, mixing warmer air from above down to the surface to keep temperatures from dropping to the freezing mark.

And this doesnt mention a healthy snowpack which would have cooler air above it.

Q. I was wondering if the Appalachian range could have the same effect on cities on the East Coast?
A: Yes, winds flowing down the Appalachians do warm up as they descend. Descending air always warms at the rate of 5.5 degrees F for each 1,000 feet of descent. On the east side of the Rockies the winds might descend 7,000 feet from the mountain tops to the Plains below, warming by around 38 degrees. In the East, the winds would descend only around 2,000 feet, warming up by about 11 degrees. This is why in the summer, northeast winds that you would expect to be cool actually warm parts of the East. "Chinook winds" are the ones that blow down the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains in Canada and the USA.

Yea, the first Q/A was the point I was making...its hard to find a more definitive asnswer...

Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yea, the first Q/A was the point I was making...its hard to find a more definitive asnswer...
Right, but here's my point and you can easily check. Unisys Weather - Upper Air Sounding Plots

How can the winds "mix" warm air from above us if the air is colder?? Take a look at the current data. Left line is dew point. Right line is temperature. Altitude is left hand column. Pink line is the 32 degree line. The temperature is obviously colder as you go high above us. Its -10 degrees Celsius at the 7000' level.

Thats whats not making sense to me. There's no "warm" air above to mix down. So if we had a snow pack and "NW" winds the air would stay cold and I think cool off a degree or two.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Right, but here's my point and you can easily check. Unisys Weather - Upper Air Sounding Plots

How can the winds "mix" warm air from above us if the air is colder?? Take a look at the current data. Left line is dew point. Right line is temperature. Altitude is left hand column. Pink line is the 32 degree line. The temperature is obviously colder as you go high above us. Its -10 degrees Celsius at the 7000' level.

Thats whats not making sense to me. There's no "warm" air above to mix down. So if we had a snow pack and "NW" winds the air would stay cold and I think cool off a degree or two.

You definitely make a good point. I don't get it really either but its always been that on a calm clear night you get the coldest temps. You would think a northwest wind would bring even COLDER air...but I guess it doesn't matter how cold the air is, as the motion actually somehow affects it. I still think its friction which in turn creates heat (albeit very little)..moving air creates friction, no wind allows the cold to settle . Shrug..

Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 AM

Default Flip Flop

The usual flip flop continues. We'll be 5-8 degrees above average until Tuesday. Here's Saturdays temps. Coast should get to 50.

Light Moisture back in picture for Sunday.
Dry Monday-Wednesday
Big storm still in picture for Thursday. Not sure on precip type but the trend has been rain so thats what I'm thinking. Will post if that changes.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,378 times
Seriously this is ridiculous and seems like there is no end in sight! Can we just have normal temps instead of this warm air sh##t?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
I love the snow, but I have to admit after last winter, I'm enjoying these moderate temperatures.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I love the snow, but I have to admit after last winter, I'm enjoying these moderate temperatures.

I don't like snow, so am really enjoying this weather. Did a 3-hour hike on Sun. and some of the people were wearing shorts! Tomorrow, I plan to take a lunch and go sit at the beach in a nearby town - the place I sit is near a cinder block bathhouse, so it gets really warm there. I can probably stay till the shadows reach my spot, then it cools off. My town, at this time, does not have a beach since it was washed away by storm Irene. Let's all enjoy this weather while it lasts.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM

633 posts, read 1,643,913 times
im loving this weather... really make winter feel short and closer to spring... feel bad for the snow lovers. To bad, it our mild weather lovers turn for 2012 hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut