Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times

Advertisements

Looks like another "out of the blue" storm putting snow south of us but not here..... Quick Snow in the Mid-Atlantic Monday? (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/quick-snow-in-the-midatlantic/59948 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Looks like another "out of the blue" storm putting snow south of us but not here..... Quick Snow in the Mid-Atlantic Monday? (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/quick-snow-in-the-midatlantic/59948 - broken link)
Was just about to mention that. I dont think I'll have the energy to change my status everyday but if Mid Atlantic gets snow before coastal CT does I just wont be motivated to count anymore. lol Even Texas and Tennessee got snow this year.

If it wasn't for the October storm, it would have been 288 days without more then a trace in Coastal Connecticut.(March 24th, 2011) 41 weeks.

With next week being a big rain storm the only thing I see that would be at least an inch is around the 17th and even thats long range still. LOL So without October we could get to 298 days without more than a trace. With October it will be 78 days.

New model says there may be a little something on the 13th after the big one passes.

Enjoy next couple days, beautiful outside. Im getting the itch to start my veggie seeds.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM

January 12, 2012 Storm Update:

http://wa1.www.3news.co.nz/Portals/0-Articles/238375/heavy-rain-umbrella-1200.jpg?width=380;pv032ca6c20fd4e462 (broken link)Rain.

Hurricane hunters are actually going to fly into the energy once it enters the Pacific so we'll have to see if the new drop data tells us anything different. I assume they are doing this because models show a decent size storm happening.

Quote:
We here at The NOAA Hurricane Hunters are busy gearing up for our winter projects. Next week, Gonzo (N49) will be heading westward to fly missions over the Pacific Ocean, in support of the National Center for Environmental Prediction (NWS-NCEP).

Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
You poor snow lovers, this must be misery for you! I swear it almost smells like spring outside. It's wonderful weather for hiking and walking the dogs. I might make it through this winter after all. After last winter, I wasn't sure I could face another one, but this is bearable. I wonder if we will have a drought next summer as a result of a dry winter?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
[quote=andthentherewere3;22425618]You poor snow lovers, this must be misery for you! I swear it almost smells like spring outside. It's wonderful weather for hiking and walking the dogs. I might make it through this winter after all. After last winter, I wasn't sure I could face another one, but this is bearable. I wonder if we will have a drought next summer as a result of a dry winter?[/QUOT

Ahha..you snow haters love to dig the old screws in dont ya

Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You poor snow lovers, this must be misery for you! I swear it almost smells like spring outside. It's wonderful weather for hiking and walking the dogs. I might make it through this winter after all. After last winter, I wasn't sure I could face another one, but this is bearable. I wonder if we will have a drought next summer as a result of a dry winter?
lol. I hear ya. Well, I try to keep reminding myself averages mean the "middle". So there needs to be a point of more and less over the years. But I'll take this winter over summer any day.

Not sure about Summer just yet but I do think a late start to Spring. I'm thinking it will stay cool (40s) for March/April. Then maybe jump to Summer in May/June with 60s and 70s. I believe a wet Spring is in store. We'll see.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 PM

For JP03

Latest text discussion from Upton. National Weather Service Text Product Display

Quote:
CLEAR AND CALM SATURDAY NIGHT AS HIGH PRES BUILDS INTO THE REGION. WINDS WILL AVERAGE 5-10 MPH...WHICH MAY BE A BIT TOO STRONG FOR OPTIMAL RADIATIONAL COOLING CONDITIONS...BUT IF WINDS DROP OFF... THEN TEMPS ACROSS THE INTERIOR COULD DROP MUCH LOWER THAN FORECAST. WILL BLEND THE MET/MAV FOR LOWS IN THE MID 30S IN/AROUND NYC...AND IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S MOST ELSEWHERE.

WITH PASSAGE OF WEAK TROUGH...WINDS SHIFT TO MORE OF A NW FLOW ON SUNDAY...USHERING A COOLER AIRMASS TO THE REGION WITH TEMPS NEAR NORMAL ON SUNDAY WITH HIGHS TOPPING OFF IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S. CLOUDS INCREASE SUNDAY NIGHT AS H5 TROUGH/SHORTWAVE COMBO APPROACH FROM THE WEST.
So first paragraph mentions without winds, temps will get colder. 2nd paragraph mentions what I always thought that when winds are from the NW, cooler air temps happen, especially with a snowpack.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
If it wasn't for the October storm, it would have been 288 days without more then a trace in Coastal Connecticut.(March 24th, 2011) 41 weeks.

With next week being a big rain storm the only thing I see that would be at least an inch is around the 17th and even thats long range still. LOL So without October we could get to 298 days without more than a trace. With October it will be 78 days.
I wonder what the record for this sort of thing is (biggest and smallest distance in days from last snowfall of the previous winter to first snowfall of the next winter). I know the BOX site has it for Boston but haven't seen the stat anywhere else.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
For JP03

Latest text discussion from Upton. National Weather Service Text Product Display

So first paragraph mentions without winds, temps will get colder. 2nd paragraph mentions what I always thought that when winds are from the NW, cooler air temps happen, especially with a snowpack.
Thanks...that sums it up. In an odd way we are both right. No wind allows the air mass itself to maximize its cooling potential. Northwest winds basically come along with the entrance of colder air and drive temps down.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM

308 posts, read 680,057 times
winter is coming for much of US and the globe is cooling,and its the wkend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut