Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I just saw a fly walking on my outside window!!! I never seen a bug flying around on this month before!!!!

Is that weird Cambium seeing bug flying around in the middle of winter???

I saw butterflies as late as the last week of November and heard the crickets at night till the same week. Last night I saw a moth flying around outside near my outside light. I would say it is unusual. I guess they are alive, but hibernating and when it gets warm they come to life. Anyway enjoy the good weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Default yesterday was great at the beach!

As planned, I went to the beach yesterday. The place was packed with everyone enjoying the great weather. Looks as if Tues. will be almost as warm. Let's enjoy this winter gift from Nature. Then the January thaw comes about the 20th or so, Feb. is a short month, so I think we will all get thru it.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Any chance of accumulating snows in NH soon, Cambium?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I saw butterflies as late as the last week of November and heard the crickets at night till the same week. Last night I saw a moth flying around outside near my outside light. I would say it is unusual. I guess they are alive, but hibernating and when it gets warm they come to life. Anyway enjoy the good weather.
Sounds like global warming to me.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 PM

The big question that none of the scientists can answer is why the NAO and AO indicies increase to such high standard deviations above average? Also, data has indicated that the swings in both indicies from extremely positive to extremely negative has been a recent trend within the past several years. Overall, it just seems like weather patterns are getting much more volatile or unusual and temperature patterns don't make any sense anymore.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
I will laugh uncontrollably if my mother in law who retired in SC gets snow before us.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Any chance of accumulating snows in NH soon, Cambium?
lol, I think 90% of the country is asking the same thing (except the SouthWest of course) Even the California Mountains dont have a big snowpack.

The only hope we have is for the 19th time frame. So another week without big snow.

16% of U.S is covered in January, rare.

Quote:
The big question that none of the scientists can answer is why the NAO and AO indicies increase to such high standard deviations above average? Also, data has indicated that the swings in both indicies from extremely positive to extremely negative has been a recent trend within the past several years. Overall, it just seems like weather patterns are getting much more volatile or unusual and temperature patterns don't make any sense anymore.
Did you see the drop of SOI??? La Nina is breaking apart and if we stay in negative terriority on the SOI say hello to Nino.

What this all means is, atmosphere and ocean changes are happening...Precipitation wil come into picture again. Watch for the "transition" of positive NAO to neutral or negative..

Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol, I think 90% of the country is asking the same thing (except the SouthWest of course) Even the California Mountains dont have a big snowpack.

The only hope we have is for the 19th time frame. So another week without big snow.

16% of U.S is covered in January, rare.

Did you see the drop of SOI??? La Nina is breaking apart and if we stay in negative terriority on the SOI say hello to Nino.

What this all means is, atmosphere and ocean changes are happening...Precipitation wil come into picture again. Watch for the "transition" of positive NAO to neutral or negative..
Yes, I did see the drop in SOI. It would be nice if the NAO and AO could be predicted more than a few weeks out, though. Maybe, if we get advanced tech on the SOI for signals in advance it could lend a bit more accuracy? Also, I'm not sure the La Nina event had any correlation to the strongly positive NAO and AO. It certainly wasn't the case last winter.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Has anyone actually looked at the newly released 30 year climate normals for CT? Basically every single time they release a new decade of climate normals, it has warmed by a degree during the winter.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Slight changes.. You might see a "snow/rain" in your forecast for Wednesday night. The system slowed down a bit so there "could" be some snow to start or mix.

Maaaybe a trace of snow tonight for coastal areas.

It's fascinating to see the pattern change before it happens. We could be going into a colder pattern and you'll see more chances of snow popping up (light stuff for now).

Using this next rain storm for an example, it has slowed down a little, this to me signals a change and maybe some blocking starting to happen.

The 19th snowstorm continues to show up. High temps could be single digits next week. I believe our landscape will change by the end of the month(24th).

Just like some years we go from Summer to Winter in October, this time we could be going from a Spring to Winter senario in February.

This storm in Pacific will lead to the trough in the East.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-09-2012 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut