Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM

83,278 posts, read 74,503,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Meanwhile, in another part of the US: National Guard digs Alaska town out from snows
Its absolutely INSANE there. I started a thread couple days ago. The pics are crazy. 18 feet in a couple weeks for a fishing town, people cant clean their roof off cause of nowhere to put it so they are collapsing.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...on-2011-a.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM

Thursday January 12, 2012 Storm Update

First thing I see is this.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-10-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM

It wont be a snow"storm" but it could cause a messy morning commute for many areas north of I-84.

Lets hope they salt the roads tomorrow. I'm more worried about the Ice then the snow that will fall. Cold air at the surface might get locked in and with a slightly warm layer above that spells freezing rain before changing to rain.

Danbury, CT
Wednesday Night: Snow likely before 2am, then snow, freezing rain, and sleet likely between 2am and 5am, then rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet likely after 5am. Cloudy, with a low around 30. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
We will see hope it will changed back to being spring like weather

To be honest - I don't see any 60's like last week for the rest of January. However, keep in mind this is the coldest month of the year in the Tri-State area...highs should only be from 35 to 40 F.

On the other hand, while it WILL turn cooler by this weekend...it now looks like the cold air will not be quite as deep as they thought last week. So expect highs by next week at this time around 40 F. Otherwise, it should stay dry (after the rain on Wed night/Thur morning). Much of the last two weeks of January now look to be cool and dry.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,408,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
To be honest - I don't see any 60's like last week for the rest of January. However, keep in mind this is the coldest month of the year in the Tri-State area...highs should only be from 35 to 40 F.

On the other hand, while it WILL turn cooler by this weekend...it now looks like the cold air will not be quite as deep as they thought last week. So expect highs by next week at this time around 40 F. Otherwise, it should stay dry (after the rain on Wed night/Thur morning). Much of the last two weeks of January now look to be cool and dry.

I am enjoying another nice, fairly warm day here in southern CT. This morning I saw something amusing and interesting. A large, long-legged spider was walking across the parking lot of my complex. It encountered an empty peanut shell on the ground, climbed inside and lay there basking in the sun. Not so different from me the other day, sitting against the light-colored wall of the bathhouse at the beach catching the sun's direct rays. Hope the coming cold spell is short-lived!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,074,660 times
again I get a phone call from my friend who is fishing on the South Shore of Long Island, I know it's not CT but he is still catching bluefish there, in fishing all my life (well since I was 5 anyway) I never ever recall bluefish being around past the 1st week of December. Water temp where he was, 49 degrees, also higher than normal.

This is a strange weather year for sure. 103 degrees to snow in October, to 60s in January, and a snowless winter so far...keeps one on their toes for sure.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Sounds like they are calling for a Little bit of everything. Plan your Thursday morning commute carefully north of 84.

Quote:
SNOW ACROSS THE INTERIOR. TEMPS ALOFT ACROSS THE INTERIOR ONLY GO UP TO 2-4C. FCST TRANSITIONS THE SNOW TO A SLEET AND FEEZING RAIN MIX INTO THU...ENDING AS ALL RAIN.

STRONG WINDS POSSIBLE ALONG THE COAST EARLY THU MRNG INTO THE EARLY AFTN. ELY WINDS 20-30KT WITH HIGHER GUSTS ARE LIKELY AHEAD OF THE LOW.

SMALL CHANCE OF THUNDER EARLY THU.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I am enjoying another nice, fairly warm day here in southern CT. This morning I saw something amusing and interesting. A large, long-legged spider was walking across the parking lot of my complex. It encountered an empty peanut shell on the ground, climbed inside and lay there basking in the sun. Not so different from me the other day, sitting against the light-colored wall of the bathhouse at the beach catching the sun's direct rays. Hope the coming cold spell is short-lived!

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I was out on the sand the past weekend when it was in the upper 50’s, and you could feel the heat radiating up from the sand. That sun is getting a little stronger each day.

…and to think I thought I was the only beach bum in the Tri-State area from Dec through March...

Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,730,239 times
Cambium, What are you seeing in the longer range say 10 to 15 days from now??

It looks like the NAO forecast till late Jan is fairly strong positive despite the GFS showing it turning negative in that timeframe just a few days ago.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/mode.../00zgfsnao.gif

Accuweather is showing some unsettled weather sometime between the 20th and 25th with rain instead of snow with temps in the mid 40's which of course I'm happy about as it means good instrument flying weather without ice!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/glastonbury-ct/06033/daily-weather-forecast/2208188?day=11 (broken link)

Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Cambium, What are you seeing in the longer range say 10 to 15 days from now??

It looks like the NAO forecast till late Jan is fairly strong positive despite the GFS showing it turning negative in that timeframe just a few days ago.
For some reason they dont allow the link to work anymore. A screen shot is best way but judging by the name on the link thats just One run of one model, the GFS model. Tellies wil change with each run.

Use this, they blend them all and get a middle. NCEP and ESRL are more reliable. Notice the trend downwards. Either way we wont be near the extreme positive we had past month. Lots going on above us and some blocking trying to form. http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecas...compare.pn.png

As far as flying, days of dry weather for a long stretch(7+days) could come to a close after today. We'll see.

Models lost the 20th storm but a couple of ensemble models still have it. So confidence dropping for that to happen until it comes back. More snow chances (little ones) till end of month then before..

February could be the worst month for us as far as most snow and cold. I'll explain in another post when I get the chance

Last edited by Cambium; 01-10-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut