Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Current Temperatures. Almost comical. Where is the only spot its above 45? The NY,CT, RI and MA Coast. LOL.. Should drop all day...heads up on black ice tonight if things are still wet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
Apparently...in Hartford when it rains it snows and all with the sun out. Real real strange pattern passing through.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Possible Record Warm temperatures end of January

Here ya go. lol. While we're continuing the flip flop I'm more confident we'll see April weather end of this month. GFS consistantly showing warm (maybe record) temps for around January 25th. Still long range but it's not letting up on the idea.

The brown you see over us is +10 to +15 degrees above normal. Means upper 40s and probably 50s in spots especially in the sun. A south flow push and we could be nearing some records.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Don't know if the "official" stations will record anything but definitely have seen flurries this morning (working in Norwalk today).

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Don't know if the "official" stations will record anything but definitely have seen flurries this morning (working in Norwalk today).
No accumulations though. Danbury reported some light snow. There's been snow falling here and there all day but no accums in southern CT.

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Danbury Municipal Airport

Bridgeport doesnt show anything BUT because it was sleeting and flurrying for litterally a minute it fell in between the "hourly" report.

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Bridgeport/Igor|Sikorsky Memorial

Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Possible Record Warm temperatures end of January

Here ya go. lol. While we're continuing the flip flop I'm more confident we'll see April weather end of this month. GFS consistantly showing warm (maybe record) temps for around January 25th. Still long range but it's not letting up on the idea.

The brown you see over us is +10 to +15 degrees above normal. Means upper 40s and probably 50s in spots especially in the sun. A south flow push and we could be nearing some records.
The GFS has been flip flopping daily so I don't know how much validity the model has at this point. No real reason for the above average temperatures considering the NAO and AO are both forecasted to be at near the baseline. Lots of cold coming down into Canada over the next 7-10 days and I don't think the GFS is handling that very well. Small shifts in the cold could have a huge impact as to how far south the jet stream shifts. 474-480 thickness values will be moving down into Manitoba soon so we'll see what happens.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No accumulations though. Danbury reported some light snow. There's been snow falling here and there all day but no accums in southern CT.

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Danbury Municipal Airport

Bridgeport doesnt show anything BUT because it was sleeting and flurrying for litterally a minute it fell in between the "hourly" report.

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Bridgeport/Igor|Sikorsky Memorial
If it falls in between the "hourly" report but was observed out the window, etc. by the NWS staff there, they usually still count it, especially in a "streak" like this. I looked at the observed weather for the tri-state area stations, looks like in one of the "hourly" reports JFK, Danbury and Newark reported snow, but White Plains, Central Park, LGA and Bridgeport did not. But again, we'll see what the daily climate report says.....

Saw snow flurries again at 3pm around Norwalk and Stamford and some significant (but not enough to stick) snowfall in the New Rochelle, NY area around 3:30.

I still think given that even a trace hasn't fallen since October that even flurries is noteworthy today.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
If it falls in between the "hourly" report but was observed out the window, etc. by the NWS staff there, they usually still count it, especially in a "streak" like this. I looked at the observed weather for the tri-state area stations, looks like in one of the "hourly" reports JFK, Danbury and Newark reported snow, but White Plains, Central Park, LGA and Bridgeport did not. But again, we'll see what the daily climate report says.....

Saw snow flurries again at 3pm around Norwalk and Stamford and some significant (but not enough to stick) snowfall in the New Rochelle, NY area around 3:30.

I still think given that even a trace hasn't fallen since October that even flurries is noteworthy today.

So funny how you guys are trying to figure out who had a trace of snow. What a change from last year...wow

Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Something fishy's going on at the NWS.

Even though the "hourly reports" showed snow at JFK and Newark, the daily climate reports show "0" for the day, not even a "T" there (and they obviously show "0" for Bridgeport, Central Park, etc. but no evidence at least from the hourly reports of any snowfall, though I find it hard to believe no flurries fell at all). I remember earlier this month there was snow in the morning in the Bridgeport area and it too showed up on the "hourly reports", in fact the 4pm "daily climate report" even reported a trace for Bridgeport that day (but can't remember the date), then the next morning the updated climate report showed "0" and it stuck since.

I'm rarely one to get into "conspiracy theories" but this is starting to not make sense.......

Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 AM

UPDATE: Looks like NWS figured this one out....

The "morning update" of yesterday's climate data shows that all tri-state area stations recorded a trace of snow yesterday, so that "streak" is finally over. Ironicly, Islip on LI (records only go back to 1987) claims that snow of any kind has never been recorded on Jan. 13 before (all the other stations have 1964 as the "daily record", when apparently a significant snowfall of 8-16" occurred on Jan 13).

So now the question is when will measurable snow next/finally happen? If one is curious whether the records would've been in jeopardy had Oct. 29 not occurred, the Central Park record (only one I can find data on) is Jan. 29, back in 1973 (the winter that also was the least snowiest ever, at 2.8")....they came very close to breaking it in 2002, when the only measurable snowfall the entire winter occurred once in mid-January (3.5" and that is the 2nd least snowiest winter unless they get 0.5" or less the rest of this winter). Don't know the record for Bridgeport, but I assume it's something similar. Nothing in sight (only precip on the extended outlook is Tuesday, and it warms up to 50 and rains again.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut