Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

114 Record High Temps Broken yesterday in the U.S
//www.city-data.com/forum/22812661-post322.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Interestingly enough, looks like this January still missed the top 10 (using Central Park....it appears they're using LaGuardia data for the 2 1/2 days the weather station wasn't functioning, it came back up yesterday afternoon). They averaged 37.3-F for the month, "tenth place" is 38.4-F.

Bridgeport averaged 35.7-F for the month, 5.6-deg above average. It's warmest January was not much more, 37.1-F (back in 1950! Just 2 years after Sikorsky started recording weather.....), so not sure if it made the "top 10" as I could only get the "top" month for there.
At 35.7 this past January was pretty close to what the normal mean temp for December is at NWS Bridgeport (35.1 F ). So we kind of had December in Januaary I guess.

Out of station interest, I tried to find out how far south one would have to go to find and NWS station with an average January mean temp of around 35.7 F on the East Coast? The answer…NWS Salisbury, MD on the Delmarva Peninsula (ave Jan temp 35.6 F). So you might say that NWS Bridgeport and much of southern Connecticut/Long Island had a “Maryland Eastern Shore” January.

I love it!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
really felt like march or april... me and a friend went out and there was this big fat fly and she got scared. I said global warming! lmao hahahaha

I also saw flies yesterday (Wed. Feb. 1) and the day before. Normally not something you like to see, but this time of year, surprising. And last night the coyotes and foxes were raising a racket in the woods nearby. Probably spring fever for them, too.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Where's the snow? Not in Lower 48, but elsewhere - Yahoo! News

This shows where in the world it's a much colder than normal winter (it highlights Alaska and Eastern Europe). There were some years about 10-20 years ago where virtually the whole earth had very warm winters, a bigger argument for "global warming" (I personally believe it's real but exaggerated).

Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I also saw flies yesterday (Wed. Feb. 1) and the day before. Normally not something you like to see, but this time of year, surprising. And last night the coyotes and foxes were raising a racket in the woods nearby. Probably spring fever for them, too.
And for some reason Squirrels are going nuts too. I

Quote:

This shows where in the world it's a much colder than normal winter (it highlights Alaska and Eastern Europe). There were some years about 10-20 years ago where virtually the whole earth had very warm winters, a bigger argument for "global warming" (I personally believe it's real but exaggerated).
Just posted about the Earth being really cold past few months but USA is not. Uh, Oh, here come the conspiracy theories. lol
Check out the map. //www.city-data.com/forum/weather/1487110-northern-hemisphere-snow-ice-map-south.html

Thanks for the article.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
The point is, it is mainly a "freaky warm" winter here and not really in the rest of the world this time around (and for some it is a "freaky cold" winter, averaging it all out). While the last 2-3 decades have been about as warm as they've ever been (at least in the 150 or so years that weather has been regularly recorded) on an overall scale, I think the last winter when the entire hemisphere was warmer than normal for all of it was 1998.

A more accurate view of my thoughts on global warming is that the science is technically correct, but weather and climate are a lot more complex than that. The stuff we put into the atmosphere is definitely a factor (and changing the composition of our atmosphere is probably not a good thing long-term, though given that we're talking about things like a less than 100 parts per million add-on, I'm not sure how much of a percent of the atmosphere we're really alterning), but other random factors can easily cancel it out too.

My last post on this, as I want to emphasize the "averaging" and "some areas are very cold this year" point, not something that turns into a political debate.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:

Exactly...as long as somewhere is cold (Alaska and eastern Europe are getting POUNDED this year) . We are in the warm sector this time around.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
The point is, it is mainly a "freaky warm" winter here and not really in the rest of the world this time around (and for some it is a "freaky cold" winter, averaging it all out). While the last 2-3 decades have been about as warm as they've ever been (at least in the 150 or so years that weather has been regularly recorded) on an overall scale, I think the last winter when the entire hemisphere was warmer than normal for all of it was 1998.

A more accurate view of my thoughts on global warming is that the science is technically correct, but weather and climate are a lot more complex than that. The stuff we put into the atmosphere is definitely a factor (and changing the composition of our atmosphere is probably not a good thing long-term, though given that we're talking about things like a less than 100 parts per million add-on, I'm not sure how much of a percent of the atmosphere we're really alterning), but other random factors can easily cancel it out too.

My last post on this, as I want to emphasize the "averaging" and "some areas are very cold this year" point, not something that turns into a political debate.
The old time meteorologists always used to say that in the long term ...seasonal weather in the temperate or middle latitudes always averages out.

Last year they tried to hype the extreme snow in January as somehow winters were turning “severe” in the Tri-State area. Then we get a winter like this year (essential no winter) and now all the rage is global warming - lol. Weather and winter varies in our climate zone (lower middle latitudes) it seems. It always has. Agreed that there is a lot of scientific proof out there that the high arctic is warming.

Otherwise, in terms of our local weather…in the short term this week should stay dry and mostly semi-mild. It looks to turn colder the 2nd week of Feb (next week), but nothing greatly below normal. By the following week, winter should start to really start to lose strength.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
February 2012 Day 1. Should we start our veggie seeds? What do you think?

While 60s are across NYC and Long Island, upper 50s have reached into southern MA but the 40s are still holding on not to far north.

Red numbers are wind gusts.

I came in here to ask just that! LOL Is it too early?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I came in here to ask just that! LOL Is it too early?
We can only guess, predict, and assume. I'm guessing it is still too early.

I do believe we wont be seeing "sustained" temps in the teens or 20s for highs anymore. (more than 4 days worth)

We all know extremes have become the norm lately so I wont rule out a big Snowstorm until after mid April this year.

Omaha Nebraska saw a record high temp 2 days ago at 61 degrees. Today they are getting a foot of snow and in the teens tonight. Past weather means nothing.

I usually start my pepper seeds mid Feb. Tomatoes Early March. Nice to have a greenhouse just in case we do have a cool Spring.

My thinking Remains the same: Cold Feb/March/April, Flip to Summer April/May/June. No Spring.

10am Temps Feb. 3, 2012.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut