Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Yes, finally some good QPF for NH over the next 7 days. I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Both Accuweather and USA Today (who's usually more accurate on this, in fact unlike "in-accu weather" they show it as a tie with Quantico, VA) show the 93 at Westfield, MA (just west of Springfield and only a few miles north of Windsor Locks, CT, which was 92) the hottest place in the entire US yesterday!

I wonder how rare that is......USA Today has records going back to 1995: USATODAY.com

I didn't go through everything, but "cherry picked" a few spring and fall months (when an anomoly like this is most likely.......winter is dominated by FL, CA, and TX and summer by Death Valley and desert locales in AZ and NV) and the only thing I found even remotely "close" is that during the 2002 stretch of heat at almost the same part of April Richmond/Petersburg, VA was the warmest in the nation one of the days at 99. I think the only other time something remotely in the "Northeast" was the warmest spot in the US was on March 13, 1990 when Baltimore was an incredible 95-deg (USA Today only goes back to 1995 but I've read it was the hottest in the nation that day elsewhere on some piece about that freak March heat wave). There is a late March day in 1945 when Providence, RI was 90, it's possible it was the "warmest in the nation" that day, but I'm not sure they recorded that back then.

NOTE: That includes Hawaii. Unlike Alaska locations (which are often excluded for "coldest in the nation") it is actually somewhat rare for Hawaii to get the nod due to an ocean influence similar to how Miami was never 100-deg. When a Hawaii location is the warmest in the US, it's usually in the dead of winter.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Both Accuweather and USA Today (who's usually more accurate on this, in fact unlike "in-accu weather" they show it as a tie with Quantico, VA) show the 93 at Westfield, MA (just west of Springfield and only a few miles north of Windsor Locks, CT, which was 92) the hottest place in the entire US yesterday!

I wonder how rare that is......USA Today has records going back to 1995: USATODAY.com
Wow. The mid-Conneticut River Valley is a local hot spot. I didn't need to skim for another similar day, I remembered one very well. On May 26, 2010 the hottest spot in the country was Hartford at 99°F (97°F where I was in Massachusetts 50 miles north)

May 2010 highs and lows - USATODAY.com

Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wow. The mid-Conneticut River Valley is a local hot spot. I didn't need to skim for another similar day, I remembered one very well. On May 26, 2010 the hottest spot in the country was Hartford at 99°F (97°F where I was in Massachusetts 50 miles north)

May 2010 highs and lows - USATODAY.com
Good catch on that one! What makes it a "local hot spot" during unusual spring (and presumably fall) warmth is that it is just far enough from the coast to not get cooled down by that but is just far enough south and low enough in elevation (vs. say northern New England or far upstate NY) to still have most of the warmth. The mid-Hudson Valley of NY state is very similar (I think Poughkeepsie got to 90 or 91).

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Latest Euro 00z.
Finally had time to check the totals from that run. Are we going to keep seeing these through summer? LOL What a tease.

Maine gets a blizzard. parts of New Hampshire and MA get 6-12". 3-6" for Litchfield and Windham counties.

What are the odds this run of the Euro verifys? LOL! Dont count on it. .. unless it shows it consistantly like Octobers.

Snowfall totals from 00z run last night.

EDIT:: Afternoon update, Latest 12z GFS shows a foot of snow for upstate NY and just a dusting into CT. But latest Euro shows just rain. Looks like they swapped solutions. lol

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM

The weirdest thing about that map is it shows no snow over about 1/3 of the Hudson Valley but snow over most of coastal CT and eastern LI, doesn't make sense especially this time of year.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The weirdest thing about that map is it shows no snow over about 1/3 of the Hudson Valley but snow over most of coastal CT and eastern LI, doesn't make sense especially this time of year.
Well, I wouldnt consider the blues anything this time of year so nothing for PA, NJ, southern NY or Southern CT on that run.

What happened was the trough was amped up and it phases with the storm but a little too late for Hudson valley. Eastern LI would be more lucky then Western LI based on the 850 temps crashing a little late. The cold air pretty much catches up and eventually thickness lines support snow as it moves away from Long Island.

That run is ancient news now. Moving on. lol

From NWS Boston: Explains the Euro showing the stronger trough but obviously not mentioning just 1 flawed run.

"FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY...AS STATED ABOVE THERE IS MUCH UNCERTAINTY IN THE MODELS WITH REGARDS TO THE SURFACE PATTERN. GENERALLY SPEAKING THERE IS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH APPROACHING THE EAST COAST THROUGH THIS PERIOD. THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN HOW DEEP THIS TROUGH IS AS WELL AS HOW AMPLIFIED. THE ECMWF HAS A VERY AMPLIFIED TROUGH WHILE THE GFS HAS A MORE SUBDUED TROUGH. THIS LEADS TO DIFFERENCES AT THE SURFACE...HOWEVER...THE OVERALL PATTERN IS WET AND COOLER...MORE SEASONABLE TEMPERATURES. BOTH SOLUTIONS GIVE ONE TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN..."

Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Technically 4 more weeks to safety but I thought I start checking the long range to see if I can start the harden off process which takes a week.

I wanted to start this weekend and then they can be put outside by April 30th. So I looked at the long range, I dont know...I keep seeing these troughs swing through.

So I'm thinking we may have a frost or two still. What do you guys think?
They are itching to go out. One plant even starting to bloom.

Tomatoes:

Bell Peppers:

GFS18z April 29th, maybe frost at night.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
As far as frost (or what’s left of the chances of frost this April)…we in southern Connecticut (and Long Island, NYC/NJ) have not had a frost since March 27th. In fact, most of my lows (according to my min/max) have been above 40 F this April. My last frost tender plants went out this past weekend. Looking at the pattern until May 1st, I see very little chance of frost in the lowlands. Most area NWS stations now have normal lows near 40 F, and temps look to remain above normal right through May 1st according to NOAA 14 day outlook:

Although one never knows….I really doubt there is any chance of frost in the lowlands of the Tri-State area again until early November. I just hope we get some rainfall...my yard already looks like Yuma!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As far as frost (or what’s left of the chances of frost this April)…we in southern Connecticut (and Long Island, NYC/NJ) have not had a frost since March 27th. In fact, most of my lows (according to my min/max) have been above 40 F this April. My last frost tender plants went out this past weekend. Looking at the pattern until May 1st, I see very little chance of frost in the lowlands. Most area NWS stations now have normal lows near 40 F, and temps look to remain above normal right through May 1st according to NOAA 14 day outlook:

Although one never knows….I really doubt there is any chance of frost in the lowlands of the Tri-State area again until early November. I just hope we get some rainfall...my yard already looks like Yuma!
Looking at Central Park, Newark and Bridgeport's "almanacs" we are just about getting to the point where all the record lows for coming dates are above 32-deg. There was a freak cold wave in early May of 1966 that produced a sub-freezing temperature in Bridgeport (and surprisingly in Philadelphia!) but that is pretty much it. Anything's possible and I know you can get "frost/freeze" conditions on the plants when it's a bit above 32, but I think you're pretty much right on this one if you live in/near the coast. Now even a little inland (i.e. Danbury or Hartford) it's a slightly different story though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut