Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Aside from the temps in the 70s, this week will be a Mirror of last week. Rain/Clouds Monday-Wednesday. Partly Cloudy Thursday. Clears out Friday and for the weekend.

HPC has Flash Flood possibilites just south of us.

Upton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good Morning - Waking up to temps in the 50s is ok but where's that sun?? Just doesnt want to warm up to 70 lately.

Looks like some clearing over Middlesex, New London and Tolland right now.
52 Degrees here in Meriden, CT. Sun is struggling to come out. Yesterday had to be one of the nicest days in CT history. Was down along the coast most of the day with temps about 65 degrees and a nice breeze blowing. The air was so clear, sun shining lots of people out and about. Good weather always brings out the best in people. Took a ride all along the coast then back home and had forgotten how beautiful the coast of Conn. is. Everyone have a wonderful Mother's Day..check out the coast of Conn. perhaps lunch and Len and Joes Fishtail.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Well, as 7Wishes posted, Hartford did make it on the list of Strangest Weather Cities. lol

6 Strange Weather Cities in 2012 - weather.com

From Stu Ostro. "I would argue no state in the U.S. has seen more extreme weather since the start of 2011 than Connecticut"
Hartford cracked 80 yesterday and looks poised to repeat it today. Late week/weekend shows highs in the upper 70s there. I guess we're back to "normal" May weather, LOL!

Interesting how far eastern LI and far southeast CT show almost no rain on that graphic. If that system goes just a little bit more west this could be one of those "rains that isn't" just like in March.....

Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Hartford cracked 80 yesterday and looks poised to repeat it today. Late week/weekend shows highs in the upper 70s there. I guess we're back to "normal" May weather, LOL!
Looking at the monthly data. Hartford temp departure for May is exactly 0. Bridgeport is 1 above. I cant ignore that its showing May has been "normal".

So because that surprised me a bit I went to check the "daily" numbers... Sure enough..Day highs were mostly 6-10 below normal BUT the night lows were mostly 6-10 above. And there's your normal

So one can argue days have been below normal and be right but another can argue that a blend of lows and highs shows we been normal. Both ways are correct but naturally we always remember the day temps.(I guess cause we're not sleeping. LOL)

Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Looking at the monthly data. Hartford temp departure for May is exactly 0. Bridgeport is 1 above. I cant ignore that its showing May has been "normal".

So because that surprised me a bit I went to check the "daily" numbers... Sure enough..Day highs were mostly 6-10 below normal BUT the night lows were mostly 6-10 above. And there's your normal

So one can argue days have been below normal and be right but another can argue that a blend of lows and highs shows we been normal. Both ways are correct but naturally we always remember the day temps.(I guess cause we're not sleeping. LOL)
You'll remember warm night temps when you need to crank up the A/C to sleep, LOL!

Actually the temperature pattern you describe is typical of unusually cloudy periods, the clouds both keeping the daytime temperatures down and the nighttime temperatures up. Some say how 'global warming' will really play out is that way, that more clouds will form in reaction and instead of an absolute temperature rise, there's no real change, just that daytime temps go down and nighttime go up. There's some evidence of this happening (Central Park's temperature record shows this a lot over the last few decades, though increasing urbanization and the "heat island effect" can produce this pattern too).

Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:

Definitely one of the fallacies of "AVERAGE TEMPS" ..with so much cloud cover the lower temps naturally are higher. However, nobody would mistake this month for being normal temps (except today of course). Its been cool, windy if its sunny or its cloudy. Besides, the warm weather folks have been in hiding..a sure fire way to tell its not to their liking

Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
30F this morning in Merrimack County, NH. This will likely be the last freeze of the Spring season in this area.
I was hesitant to say it might not be for you but just seems more likely now. /Thursday Night/Friday morning will be the next (and probably last) chance at frost.

GFS0z Temp forecast for Friday 8am.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
cambium... any update on that potential coastal storm around 24th?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
cambium... any update on that potential coastal storm around 24th?
Nahh, usually when I'm quiet about something it means there's no threat or interest in it. Few days it disappeared. Now it reappeared but staying way OTS towards Bermuda. Pattern doesnt favor a coastal storm even though there's blocking. Last GFS does dig a trough deep which would be a frost concern, but its stil a week+ out.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Default Extreme Weather Text Alerts

Something I have been pushing for YEARS..Started in here last year.

** FINALLY**!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/weather/1575171-extreme-weather-text-alerts-set-begin.html

Quote:
Everyone should sign up for weather alerts to be sent as a text to their cell phone!
weather.com (no sprint) or accuweathercom or weatherusa.net.

It takes a few seconds to sign up for free. Alerts will be sent to phone regarding Tornado or weather warnings.

Why this isnt mandated frustrates me.
Quote:
Problem is most people arent in tune with the weather and they get caught. EVERYONE should be on text alerts with TWC or Accuweather. Period.
Quote:
I can't watch these same scenes again. This is why EVERY SINGLE PERSON NEEDS TO GET TEXT ALERTS TO THEIR CELL PHONE.
Quote:
The best way is to mandate alerts be sent to cell phones which everyone carrys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut