U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM

4,445 posts, read 9,104,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
We are getting rain on thanksgiving...with some mixing of snow behind it at night inland areas.

Now here's a question.... I said Storm on Thanksgiving...I was right...I said snow...I was wrong but was I wrong or does mother nature control all that? I cant control the air temp.

I was right...models were right. Period.
Again, there’s a little hype/spin in that:

We might get rain on Thanksgiving (50/50). ZERO % chance of any snow in the Tri-State area.

AccuWeather and the “models” tried to hype a big snowstorm in the I-95 corridor on the Thanksgiving Holiday (like they attempt to do every year for marketing reasons)...

Zero snow will fall in the I-95 corridor on Thanksgiving Day , or the day after, or the day after that (like 99 out of 100 years).

The models and the AccuWeather hype was wrong.

Period.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:50 PM

9,765 posts, read 9,452,758 times
Quote:
We are getting rain on thanksgiving...with some mixing of snow behind it at night inland areas.

Now here's a question.... I said Storm on Thanksgiving...I was right...I said snow...I was wrong but was I wrong or does mother nature control all that? I cant control the air temp.

You were WRONG... you hyped a SNOWSTORM.....you failed.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

You are a bit annoying. Stop wishcasting

Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 PM

74,082 posts, read 57,451,608 times
Had I said rain storm you people would be worshiping me..

Next "storm" is Dec 4th give or take a day and judging by the temps it could fall as snow...

You guys will never prove me wrong...I have been right all along...there's a storm thanksgiving..unfortunetly its not snow...

Fun times are here

Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 AM

I found something to be excited about... I been following the PNA / NAO and we all know the PNA needs to be positive and NAO negative for a nice cold snow in the NorthEast.

Finally the PNA is forecasted to go neutral / positve while the NAO stays negative. (after Nov. 26)

But it doesnt stop here.... I researched the history of the PNA/NAO and found that the NAO has been negative all of 2010 with the peak in January....so I looked for a similar year which it stayed negative that long and it seems like 1969 was the only year...

So I was just curious what happened winter of 69'....and I came across this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/1...nt_lindsay.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/1998/10/22/1998-10-22_winter_of_discontent_lindsay.html - broken link)

WINTER OF DISCONTENT LINDSAY'S SNOWSTORM, 1969
By OWEN MORITZ Daily News Staff Writer

THE TV WEATHER forecasters were brimming with confidence: rain, wind and sleet, they said, just a chance of snow. A typical weather pattern, they assured viewers in the second week of February 1969.

But snow it was, and once it started falling that Sunday the 9th, it didn't stop. Ten inches by 7 p.m. By midnight, 15 inches in Central Park, 20 inches at Kennedy Airport. The entire Northeast was paralyzed under mountains of snow.

Hundreds of motorists were trapped on the Tappan Zee Bridge, thousands more on the New York State Thruway as the blizzard shut down the road between New York City and Newburgh.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,006,565 times
Right now it's only a 50% chance of a storm on Thurs night into Fri morning, snow overnight turning to rain on Friday.

It's alright if it affects the insane people heading off to their BS Black Friday adventures.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I found something to be excited about... I been following the PNA / NAO and we all know the PNA needs to be positive and NAO negative for a nice cold snow in the NorthEast.

Finally the PNA is forecasted to go neutral / positve while the NAO stays negative. (after Nov. 26)

But it doesnt stop here.... I researched the history of the PNA/NAO and found that the NAO has been negative all of 2010 with the peak in January....so I looked for a similar year which it stayed negative that long and it seems like 1969 was the only year...

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/1...nt_lindsay.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/1998/10/22/1998-10-22_winter_of_discontent_lindsay.html - broken link)

THE TV WEATHER forecasters were brimming with confidence: rain, wind and sleet, they said, just a chance of snow. A typical weather pattern, they assured viewers in the second week of February 1969.

But snow it was, and once it started falling that Sunday the 9th, it didn't stop. Ten inches by 7 p.m. By midnight, 15 inches in Central Park, 20 inches at Kennedy Airport. The entire Northeast was paralyzed under mountains of snow.

Hundreds of motorists were trapped on the Tappan Zee Bridge, thousands more on the New York State Thruway as the blizzard shut down the road between New York City and Newburgh.
I say at this point everyone just ignore this thread,..it has turned into a Cambium wish cast ....its not really a useable thread anymore. Sadly the wishcaster is always wrong too, the guy cant even make semi-accurate predictions..

I promised myself not to post in here anymore after today.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM

17,981 posts, read 24,889,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I say at this point everyone just ignore this thread,..it has turned into a Cambium wish cast ....its not really a useable thread anymore. Sadly the wishcaster is always wrong too, the guy cant even make semi-accurate predictions..

I promised myself not to post in here anymore after today.
I agree.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 PM

9,758 posts, read 15,794,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Again, there’s a little hype/spin in that:

We might get rain on Thanksgiving (50/50). ZERO % chance of any snow in the Tri-State area.

AccuWeather and the “models” tried to hype a big snowstorm in the I-95 corridor on the Thanksgiving Holiday (like they attempt to do every year for marketing reasons)...

Zero snow will fall in the I-95 corridor on Thanksgiving Day , or the day after, or the day after that (like 99 out of 100 years).

The models and the AccuWeather hype was wrong.

Period.

OKX website for most of their CT regions (i.e. Bridgeport, Stamford) is actually showing possibility of at least wet, nonsticking snow for Thanksgiving evening.

Quote:

But interestingly enough, this site: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/...nsnowfall.html shows that there was just 5.6" of snow in NYC the rest of the winter. Also keep in mind the radars, satellites, models, etc. are a LOT better now than they were in 1969. The March 1993 blizzard was probably the last time the weather forecasters really got it "that" wrong since a lot of the new technology kicked in not long after that (and even then, it was only in the South where the snow was a surprise and unexpected).

Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM

Snow is in the Air for thanksgiving. My oh my how things change in a matter of days..

Now back to my original post of potential for snow thursday.

I'm thinking thurs. Night if anything.. Will not be more than an inch for now..

I'm thinking Dec. 15th for accumulating but models showing around Dec. 3rd for a storm...I'm just worried about the air switching back to warm again...

Expect 60s next couple days..30s at night..

Its amazing we can call these things 11-15days out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut