U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 AM
 
Location: USA
151 posts, read 489,158 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am LOVING it! It would be nice if it was a little more humid though. It's kind of a dry heat. Tomorrow is supposed to be 101. I wish it was like this every single day in the summer in CT. Hopefully with global warming and all that, it will become a reality someday. It just feels so good to walk out of a freezing office building all day, into the heated outdoors. I drove all the way home with windows rolled down and no AC or sunglasses whatsoever. Love it.


To be honest I don’t mind it either. I kind of enjoy deep Caribbean style weather once in awhile. Right now there is not much difference in the temp and dew points between Kingston, Jamaica and New Haven or Trenton, NJ. The overnight lows in the Tri-State area were in the lower 70’s in several places - lol. It’s an amazing thing to wake up at 6:00 AM and its already 71 F – lol.

I think the secret is that one has to know how to deal with hot sultry weather. I saw people jogging in the 100 F heat, not smart. The weather should get a little more mild this weekend into next week (relatively speaking)…with highs/lows back to a more normal 80/60 F. I guess all we can do is take it in stride...its the East Coast, summer is HHH.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
74,069 posts, read 57,443,479 times
Reputation: 13139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Lows of 80+ in June are quite rare (don't have stats on it though), in fact, the all time "highest low" for any month is just 3 degrees higher, the "84" occurred twice in 1908 (once in July and again in August) and again twice last year (two days in a row in July).

If it gets to 100 there, it would be the earliest in the year it was that temperature (record is June 26, 1952).

I wonder if the 2-3 days of extreme heat causes June to end up above normal after all, though the return to below normal temps next week may prevent that.
Interesting stats about the low being rare. Good point about the 2-3 days above normal disrupting the overall month. That would suck just purely on a long term view point. We'll look back at June 2012 and see above normal but we wont realize 2 or 3 days was the cause.

Yesterday we were 1.2 below normal for the month in BDR. Today we are .70 below. So the 92High/68Low did bump up the average 1/2 degree.

Hartford was 2.3 below normal yesterday. Today they are 1.35 below normal.

So Hartford is safe and should stay below normal for the month. BDR is in jepordy but like you said...next week will drop the numbers back down again being 10 degrees below normal for the High
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
74,069 posts, read 57,443,479 times
Reputation: 13139
Default Severe Storms 6-22-12

SPC has Western half of CT in risk zone tomorrow(Friday). Heat energy from hot surface,
high dew points, high cape values, cold front...this could get interesting.

They are saying after 21z(5pm). Since the freezing level isnt up until 13,000 hail wont be a threat but microbursts, lightning, downpours, & wind gusts will.

Storm Prediction Center Jun 21, 2012 0600 UTC Day 2 Convective Outlook



...DELMARVA TO SRN NEW ENGLAND...

WEAK HEIGHT FALLS WILL OVERSPREAD THE OH VALLEY/LOWER GREAT LAKES
REGION FRIDAY AS UPPER TROUGH SHIFTS EAST. IN RESPONSE TO THIS
TROUGH IT APPEARS THE PRIMARY BAROCLINIC ZONE WILL EXTEND FROM NRN
VT/NH...SWWD INTO ERN KY AT 18Z. DIURNAL CONVECTION IS EXPECTED TO
INITIATE/INTENSIFY ALONG THIS CORRIDOR BY EARLY AFTERNOON AS
BOUNDARY LAYER WARMS REMOVING EARLY MORNING INHIBITION. LATEST
MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGEST WARM SECTOR INSTABILITY COULD EXCEED 2500
J/KG ACROSS THE DELMARVA REGION WHERE SFC TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED
TO WARM INTO THE UPPER 80S/LOWER 90S. AS A RESULT...ROBUST UPDRAFTS
SHOULD EVOLVE PRIMARILY EAST OF THE APPALACHIANS WITHIN A SHEARED
ENVIRONMENT FAVORABLE FOR MULTI-CELL STORMS. GREATEST CONCENTRATION
OF THUNDERSTORMS WILL LIKELY BE NOTED AFTER 21Z FROM NRN VA INTO SRN
NEW ENGLAND AND ACTIVITY SHOULD SPREAD ESEWD TOWARD THE ATLANTIC
COAST DURING THE EARLY EVENING HOURS. GUSTY WINDS AND ISOLATED
SEVERE DOWNBURSTS ARE THE PRIMARY SEVERE THREAT WITH THIS
CONVECTION.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY
9,755 posts, read 15,792,509 times
Reputation: 3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting stats about the low being rare. Good point about the 2-3 days above normal disrupting the overall month. That would suck just purely on a long term view point. We'll look back at June 2012 and see above normal but we wont realize 2 or 3 days was the cause.

Yesterday we were 1.2 below normal for the month in BDR. Today we are .70 below. So the 92High/68Low did bump up the average 1/2 degree.

Hartford was 2.3 below normal yesterday. Today they are 1.35 below normal.

So Hartford is safe and should stay below normal for the month. BDR is in jepordy but like you said...next week will drop the numbers back down again being 10 degrees below normal for the High
I went looking on the OKX site and turns out we almost "broke the streak" back in August (at least in CPK, BDR was still 1.5 above normal) as CPK was only 0.1 above normal. But the hot weather was at the beginning of the month (94 on the 1st, 91 on the 2nd), so it's kind of like a 1-hitter in baseball where the "no hitter" was broken up in the first inning.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 19,203,908 times
Reputation: 3301
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
 
5,065 posts, read 14,397,050 times
Reputation: 3538
It's 92 where I am, which really isn't that bad. I know you cold-lovers find that uncomfortable but at least it's not 100.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: USA
151 posts, read 489,158 times
Reputation: 189
There seems little difference between the seacoast and inland on the East Coast today; At last hour (2:00 PM) Bridgeport was was 95 F and Atlantic City was 96 F...yet Hartford was 94 and Trenton was 93 ? There really is nowhere to run...from Columbia, South Carolina to Providence heat index values are near 100 F.




I'll bet we on the East Coast are hotter right now than North Africa or much of the Caribbean nations.


I like the pic above...the guy really looks like he is melting - lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
74,069 posts, read 57,443,479 times
Reputation: 13139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
There really is nowhere to run...from Columbia, South Carolina to Providence heat index values are near 100 F.

I like the pic above...the guy really looks like he is melting - lol.
Nope...nowhere to run and everything is melting.



At least dew points are in 60s today compared to 70s yesterday. Thats why there are less 100 real feels today.

Current temps: I dont believe there are records around here...I'll check later. Just a typical summer day in 90s.(usually its July/August though)

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Woburn, MA / W. Hartford, CT
2,705 posts, read 2,842,287 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
There seems little difference between the seacoast and inland on the East Coast today; At last hour (2:00 PM) Bridgeport was was 95 F and Atlantic City was 96 F...yet Hartford was 94 and Trenton was 93 ? There really is nowhere to run...from Columbia, South Carolina to Providence heat index values are near 100 F.




I'll bet we on the East Coast are hotter right now than North Africa or much of the Caribbean nations.
Heh, heh...just talked to a colleague who returned from Dubai on business. He said it was 40 C and 40% RH over there...that translates to a dewpoint of 77 F! It feels pretty crappy today...but Hartford's dewpoint is a relatively nice 64 F right now...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: USA
151 posts, read 489,158 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Heh, heh...just talked to a colleague who returned from Dubai on business. He said it was 40 C and 40% RH over there...that translates to a dewpoint of 77 F! It feels pretty crappy today...but Hartford's dewpoint is a relatively nice 64 F right now...

Yes, that is interesting, far inland areas like northern CT seem to have lower dew points (or did during times today) than areas near the seacoast or points south. Looking at the NWS obs at this hour, the highest dew points/temp/Heat index I can find is Meriden with a dew point of 72 F…a temp of 89 F…and a heat index of 96 F. The worst I saw on the whole East Coast (or that I could find) was Quantico, Virginia – dew point was 80 F…temp was 94 F…and the heat index was 113 F at this hour.

I’m not sure, but I would guess than most places in North Africa or the Caribbean would have trouble getting dew point/temps/heat indexs much higher than we had in some places on the East Coast today. It really is amazing. The heat and humidity today was like a wet blanket, it felt like you were in some lowland tropical jungle. This must be what the monsoon in southeast Asia feels like - lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nope...nowhere to run and everything is melting.



At least dew points are in 60s today compared to 70s yesterday. Thats why there are less 100 real feels today.

Current temps: I dont believe there are records around here...I'll check later. Just a typical summer day in 90s.(usually its July/August though)

Funny picture!!

As far as dew points, I did see several spots that were in the 70's today. To be honest, I can't feel the difference between a dew point of 68 or 72 F when the temp is 90 F -lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top