Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Just to be fair to NOAA and their 90 day temp outlooks …the reverse is what they are expecting:

....when watching the Weather Channel/AccuWeather - the greater conceals the less . They seem stuck on the hopes for this weekend storm
I was talking about next winter not 90 days.

Dont understand the comment on TWC and Accuweather... They actually said it was complex. They are accurate in where the storm was coming from. And their accurate on what its going to do. In fact here's a map...Doesnt show anything for East Coast so not sure why that comment was made. Nothing was said in regards to hopes or false information at a given time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I was talking about next winter not 90 days.

Dont understand the comment on TWC and Accuweather... They actually said it was complex. They are accurate in where the storm was coming from. And their accurate on what its going to do. In fact here's a map...Doesnt show anything for East Coast so not sure why that comment was made. Nothing was said in regards to hopes or false information at a given time.
That’s quite a twisting of the facts in their favor no?

TEN DAYS AGO, they tried to get the hype machine going with a “MASSIVE Snowstorm could hit the East Coast” headline. They told every single twists and turn of 50 model runs - when they know darn well (or should know if they were not in it for the marketing angle)…that the long term numbers for a big snow in the I-95 states is tiny (and really tiny in early December), and the typically all the models are all over the place 120 to 184 hours out. Of course that angle in not marketable is it.

Then of course, long term climate data…and real science…takes over had AccuWeather hype bites the dust - again. In the end, nothing more than a rain storm and 50 F temps will pass over the East Coast this weekend…after all the hype.Next up on the hype machine after the storm...the cold in NYC for a few days. It will be in the upper 20's F for a few days next week in the I-95 states: Of course it will be -25 to -40 F in North Dakota too - but we all know how marketable that is

Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:

TEN DAYS AGO, they tried to get the hype machine going with a “MASSIVE Snowstorm could hit the East Coast” headline.
???? You gotta start looking at the models more often. Not only I can prove the models were showing east coast blizzard but i can prove past storms that have changed hours and even during the storm. Point is...call it like you see it. Period.

You cant call it based on what you think or what "has" happened in the past. Thats not meterology or using the tools at hand...

LAST YEAR::NewCanaan
December 6: 2 Inches
December 9: 4 inches
December 20: 12 Inches(Middlesex and New London County Up to 2 Feet!)
December 31: 2 Inches

Very easy for someone to say "see no snow" or "wow,its snowing".. Once you realize the variables associated with weather you'll understand where I'm coming from.

It is amazing a storm is happening that was shown 2 weeks in advance... I find that unbelievable

Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Are you guys enjoying the light snowfall this evening? I got accumulation on ground...only half inch so far but it might be the most I see for a while....

I really miss El Nino!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
???? You gotta start looking at the models more often. Not only I can prove the models were showing east coast blizzard but i can prove past storms that have changed hours and even during the storm. Point is...call it like you see it. Period.

You cant call it based on what you think or what "has" happened in the past. Thats not meterology or using the tools at hand...

LAST YEAR::NewCanaan
December 6: 2 Inches
December 9: 4 inches
December 20: 12 Inches(Middlesex and New London County Up to 2 Feet!)
December 31: 2 Inches

No, the point is:

Anyone who attempts to use a computer to make a forecast 184 hrs in advance…should have a basic understanding of world climate and regional geography. Therein lies part of the problem: Not only are these computer generated fantasy forecasts spun for maximum marketing value (trust me on that one)…but the users of these products at media outlets like the Weather Channel and AccuWeather increasingly have less and less knowledge about the true climate of the USA.

Weather in the United States is no longer forecast…it is marketed.

PS:

DECEMBER 2007: Bridgeport (and much of Connecticut/NYC):

December 7: T

Monthly snow for December 2007 = T

You can spin that both ways.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Not only are these computer generated fantasy forecasts spun for maximum marketing value
Dear Lord.... The Euro and Nam showed a GLC(Great Lakes Cutter) 10 days ago...

I'm not even sure what your trying to debate here...The Models did show this storm going west of the Big Coastal Cities... The models spoke the truth... The models (especially Euro) are very reliable. Not fantasy generated.

Its all a matter of when they all agree.. Get it?? Usually they all agree 3-5 days before.. this one took 2-3 days for them to all agree due to the complexity of this one. But the Euro showed the exact path forecasted today from 10 days ago.

We basically show EACH model and TELL each forecast based on that model. Dont have to be a genius to understand that. Everyone knows risks, facts, history, averages, and chances... it has nothing to do with explaining whats happening and what could happen.

I think we're on a cul-de-sac here ..

2007 was another LaNina year..I'll never forget it cause we had green grass all winter. I'm starting to think the way I did 2 months ago that we're repeating that.

You say it doesnt snow in December,...I'm proving it does.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Posted on December 5th, 2010.....5 days ago! The Euro was right all along. Dont dismiss the models. I even said blow east because I knew the Euro would win.

Lets move on. Storm on 20th I havent looked into... Anything on that??

Quote:
2 Different Model senarios.. Blue Rain...Red Snow... Where's Superman so he can blow it east...

Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Dear Lord.... The Euro and Nam showed a GLC(Great Lakes Cutter) 10 days ago...

I'm not even sure what your trying to debate here...The Models did show this storm going west of the Big Coastal Cities... The models spoke the truth... The models (especially Euro) are very reliable. Not fantasy generated.

You say it doesnt snow in December,...I'm proving it does.
You know that my point is that AccuWeather/Weather Channel (and others including the local News like Channel 8), try to spin all the twists and turns of the models for maximum hype/marketing. I'm well aware of what the models showed 10 days ago. The difference is that everyone knows that all the twists and turns of the model is nothing more than fantasy when compared to long term climate data. I never said it didn’t snow in December on the East Coast – I did say there is a TINY CHANCE of a big snow in the I-95 states…and they know it! Yet, they will say something dramatic like “The models are hinting at a major East Coast storm next week folks”. They make those statements PURLY FOR MARKETING REASONS. I only caution you not follow the pro-winter/spin hype masters (i.e Joe Bastardi, Henry Margusity, AccuWeather, Weather Channel,…etc)…off the cliff of hype/spin and biased wish casting.

Remember grasshopper – ALL science is based on gathering the facts in an unbiased way…then using those facts to come to a logical consensus of what has the highest probability of occurring…not twisting the facts, then trying to spin the least likely event to create drama for marketing reasons, while forcing ones bias or agenda. Only someone who has spent years DOING science would be greatly angered by this.

Enjoy the rainstorm on Sunday. Temps might crack 55 F in southern Connecticut. My bamboo needs the rain

Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
You know that my point is that AccuWeather/Weather Channel (and others including the local News like Channel 8), try to spin all the twists and turns of the models for maximum hype/marketing. I'm well aware of what the models showed 10 days ago.
Yet I didnt see a post from you regarding this storm 14 days ago...So let me see...you're one of those that dont tell anyone about a storm, say there's little chance of snow, then it rains and you say "see Im right" if it does snow then you simply say "wow, this rare"??

I see. Interesting.

I'm a realist...I will call it as I see it at a particular moment. If its showing Typoon on East Coast I will say it....If it shows warm rain, I'll say it... Lets get back on topic now. I'll ask you again.... Whats your thoughts on Dec 19th storm? Or should we wait until after it passes?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 AM

This is just a thing of beauty...Looks at the 2 storms! One moving North up the coast...One moving NorthEast into Great Lakes....EXACTLY how the models showed...Unfortunetly the air temp has changed for the warmer side.

But this is spitting image of what the models showed 7+days ago. Good stuff.

Current Radar.

GFS Model (the more unreliable one actually was right)This was at Hour 192(192 Hours away)

You can see the 2 Lows further south here.

Last edited by Cambium; 12-11-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut