Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 PM

257 posts, read 607,472 times

Advertisements

Where will you be moving to? That would help answer your question because you could be in the city, a rich suburb, or next to a farm lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 02:58 PM

543 posts, read 1,893,313 times
This post couldn't come at a better time. We are relocating to CT this summer. We have four kids---one who will be finishing college here in CA, one who will be going to college somewhere on the east coast and two that will be coming with us ( a 15 yr. old girl and an 11 yr. old boy). My son can't move fast enough, ready for the adventure and looking forward to making new friends. My daughter, as expected, thinks we are moving her to the end of the earth.

We are somewhat relieved that this opportunity has come our way right now, as the CA school system seems to be crumbling before our eyes. Not only that, it seems the fun thing to do on the weekends lately is to rent a "party bus" and go up and down the coast partying. Needless to say this caused many a fight in our home since the end of summer. I find it ironic that high school kids here in Southern CA, where there are tons of things to do close at hand, find it necessary to do this. With the consent of their parents I might add. These are 15 year olds! We are not prudes by any means, but really? A party bus at 15???

I am simply curious as to what high school kids in CT do for fun/entertainment. Right now we are looking in areas around Stratoford (where my in laws live) and Fairfield. We want to stay in a suburban environment and within 90 min. of NYC. We know that kids are different from town to town, city to city. The same can be said for where we live. We also know that kids are kids no matter where you go and that there will be peer pressure, social hierarchy, and academic achievers. I think we are hoping that when our daughter is in an area that values education a little more than So. CA. and if she is in a school with less than 3,000 kids (which is our high school's population), she won't be in the minority of wanting to have fun in a safe environment. Right now she is on the Song/Cheer team but I don't know if she will be able to try out for a team in her new school since we are moving in the summer. We would like her to be involved in something to keep her busy and are hoping to get some help from the high school on that.
My biggest question is what can we expect her to be wanting to do for fun once we get to CT. Do the kids want to go into NYC? Do they stay in the suburbs? Do they hang out at friends houses? Just trying to prepare ourselves for what to expect.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:16 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,142,402 times
For teenagers in the Fairfield area there's a good bit to do so long as the teenager is proactive and can be safe if they have the moral constitution installed before hand (the complete facts). For middle school aged children there are loads of events that are generally supervised (as best they can be, of course) events at the Rec Depts and a lot of the local YMCA's.

For teens there is a lot more to do in general. There are actually a few high-school only music venues in the area. The Beanery in Fairfield (Town of Fairfield | Fairfield Parks and Recreation) or Toquet Hall in Westport (Toquet Hall Teen Center) are two examples although nearly every town in Fairfield County has one. So while schools in general might not provide week-to-week events, towns usually have something. Even though I'm sure your kids have been spoilt by the Pacific, the beaches here certainly are social focal points. Most teens here start eating out as a hobby and event pretty young, also its' fairly expected for teens to get jobs around here.

As for your questions specifically: yes they hang out at each other's houses, "staying" in the suburbs I don't quite understand, and for most high school aged kids going into NYC isn't the automatic option because there's actually a lot to do in the area and tickets add up quick. Needless to say, safety of kids are usually more of something in their control rather than out of. Hope any of that helped.

~Best of luck.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:31 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,833,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I am simply curious as to what high school kids in CT do for fun/entertainment.
My biggest question is what can we expect her to be wanting to do for fun once we get to CT. Do the kids want to go into NYC? Do they stay in the suburbs? Do they hang out at friends houses? Just trying to prepare ourselves for what to expect.
When my children were up there, they as a group went to skating rinks and group bowling. In the summer, they like meeting up in the town center and swimming (of course we lived in West Hartford) so we had Veterans Memorial Ice Skating, Blue Back Square and lots of parks with pools. My daughter was interested in seeing Broadway plays (she's 15 now) so if we lived near NYC, this is one activity that she and her friends might want to do, accompanied by adults of course.

Basically, there's really not a whole lot of difference. I'm aghast to hear about these bus parties!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut