Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 26,528 times

Advertisements

Indian-American family considering a move from southcoast mass to Danbury due to change in jobs,would appreciate school/housing/community information.Good schoolss,safe communities important.Wondering if there is a Hindu Temple in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Danbury itself is a small city and is known for having some urban issues. The towns surorunding Danbury are very nice and a bit rural in character. The schools are usually pretty good in these. Without informaiton on price or likes and dislikes, I would recommend Ridgefield, Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Redding and Newtown. Jay

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks a lot,JayCT.How long would a commute be to NYC-car or train?Is Danbury considered to be in the NY metro area?How is the Danbury Hospital rated for healthcare?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM

I do not think that Danbury is part of the New York metropolitan area. If it is, it is on the very outskirts of it (about 65 miles). While there are some people that do commute into the city in the Danbury area, it is a long commute to do everyday. I believe the best way is by commuter train from Southeast Station in Brewster, New York. Figure 15 minutes drive from Danbury to the station. The train ride is just under 90 minutes so you could be talking a 2 hour commute. Danbury hospital is a good hospital from what I have heard. Others here may know better. Jay

Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not think that Danbury is part of the New York metropolitan area.
Danbury is very much part of the NYC Metropolitan area - you also have quite a few commuters into NYC from Danbury. It actually technically extends to Waterbury and out to Fenwick, believe it or not.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 AM

11,242 posts, read 18,717,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not think that Danbury is part of the New York metropolitan area. If it is, it is on the very outskirts of it (about 65 miles). While there are some people that do commute into the city in the Danbury area, it is a long commute to do everyday. I believe the best way is by commuter train from Southeast Station in Brewster, New York. Figure 15 minutes drive from Danbury to the station. The train ride is just under 90 minutes so you could be talking a 2 hour commute. Danbury hospital is a good hospital from what I have heard. Others here may know better. Jay
First off, a lot of people in Danbury DO commute "closer" to NYC but north of it like Westchester County and it's many many office parks (including some in the semi-rural areas just over the state line from Danbury like the big Pepsi complex in Somers, NY). In fact, my kid's elementary school principal commutes from New Fairfield (just northeast of Danbury) to southern Westchester, takes him about 45 minutes. Though you are right that most drive over to NY to do a train commute since it's a direct line to NYC whereas the "Danbury line" has more limited service and sometimes a switch of trains in Stamford. Some of the NY trains are express trains that take under an hour, so depending on the time it could be more of a 75 minute commute than a 90-120 minute one. But I think commutes to Westchester and southern Fairfield by car are more common up there (and a few commutes to Waterbury and Hartford).

I have quite a few friends who moved from southern Westchester and the Bronx to Danbury for the relatively cheaper housing. Including one couple in which one spouse commutes to White Plains, NY and the other to Hartford (about an hour's drive on I-84, though you will get rush hour traffic as you approach Hartford).

It is part of the NYC TV market and around here is considered very much a part of the metro area, though that does end a little north and east of that.

So I think it would quite work for you, good luck!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM

The OP was talking about commuting into New York City and not to the Westchester suburbs. According to Metro-North's schedule, trains from Southeast station take between 79 and 89 minutes to Grand Central. To me that means it is a 90 minute commute since you should be at the station a few minutes before the train pulls into the station. I do NOT see any trains that run under or even near an hour during the morning commuting hours. As I noted Danbury is on the edge of the metropolitan area. Most locals that I know in the area do not consider it to be New York but they are mostly from families that lived in the area for years and are not recent New York transplants looking for inexpensive housing. Jay

Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Looking for a suburban neighborhood in the Danbury area with proximity to shopping etc.If these are hard to find becaause of the rural nature of the towns,would living in the Stamford area and commuting to Danbury too much?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,386,217 times
The thing about Danbury is you have a diverse mix of housing inventory ranging from homes on .1 of acre up to 30 acres. There are many neighborhoods that most would consider to be suburban that sit on about .5 acre-1 acre lots. There are also a lot of condo communities if you are looking for a maintenance free lifestyle. Anywhere in town would be no more than 10 minutes to shopping and restaurants. I would suggest meeting up with a local buyers agent that can show you all the neighborhoods within your price range in Danbury as well as the surrounding towns. Stamford is considerably more than Danbury.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,483,783 times
My cousin's getting out of Newtown cause property taxes are $11k/year. Danbury is fine and 1/3rd as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut