Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times

Advertisements

As far as the towns that have been listed (thanks by the way!) I'm assuming that these are what you consider to be pretty safe towns with good schools and with close enough distance to job opportunities. What about activities...whether it be recreation for kids, bars/restaurants, movies, etc. What kind of night and weekend life are in these towns? And where can I find the safety, neighborhood and schools statistics on such towns?

Also feel free to mention anymore too! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
Exclamation Caution-

Hello! I just had to add my 2 cents here on the suggestion to go to Glastonbury. I spent 10 years of my life there, and it's a 10 year stretch I'll never get back, but sure feel I'm owed! It was horrible growing up there, (specifically- going to school) and from what I see, it's only gotten worse. IF you have lots of money, then by all means, move to Glastonbury. If you don't- avoid it like the plague. This is the snobbiest of snobby cities, and for no good reason other than to pat itself on the back for all the money it has. The school system gives little personal attention to students, and the peer groups are harsh to anyone who isn't ALSO wealthy. I'd love to say I was a special case, but EVERY person I know (who's integrity I value) who has been through Glastonbury says they went "through the ringer" there. Socially, the place is a disaster. I left Glastonbury the moment I was legally able to & have never looked back since.

Funnily enough, I never hear the same complaints about West Hartford, though from what I've seen, they have more reason to be obnoxious about their wealth. Glastonbury is overpriced, overpuffed, and over-lauded. I would NEVER put my own kids in that town, or recommend anyone else do the same.

Just had to toss that in. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmarq View Post
Hello! I just had to add my 2 cents here on the suggestion to go to Glastonbury. I spent 10 years of my life there, and it's a 10 year stretch I'll never get back, but sure feel I'm owed! It was horrible growing up there, (specifically- going to school) and from what I see, it's only gotten worse. IF you have lots of money, then by all means, move to Glastonbury. If you don't- avoid it like the plague. This is the snobbiest of snobby cities, and for no good reason other than to pat itself on the back for all the money it has. The school system gives little personal attention to students, and the peer groups are harsh to anyone who isn't ALSO wealthy. I'd love to say I was a special case, but EVERY person I know (who's integrity I value) who has been through Glastonbury says they went "through the ringer" there. Socially, the place is a disaster. I left Glastonbury the moment I was legally able to & have never looked back since.

Funnily enough, I never hear the same complaints about West Hartford, though from what I've seen, they have more reason to be obnoxious about their wealth. Glastonbury is overpriced, overpuffed, and over-lauded. I would NEVER put my own kids in that town, or recommend anyone else do the same.

Thanks, I appreciate it, because I can't stand snobby people. The town we live in is kind of like that. It's not that bad though, but although I have a lot of reasons to like it here, the mild snobbiness p*sses me off. My husband and I are soo not like that.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:08 AM

439 posts, read 721,417 times
Everyone brags about Glastonbury- on this site as well.
It is a very pleasant town, nice Main street, unique shopping etc with some very upscale neighborhoods- but I have found some of its residents snotty-

Try the old Mill town of Vernon- a better and more diverse mixture without the attitude- or South Windsor- a bit more upscale, but not snobby.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:52 AM

46 posts, read 188,061 times
You might consider Simsbury. The schools are excellant, and even though there are a few snobby people, the rest of the town is quite diverse in it's housing and income profile. I live in a neighborhood of ranches, split levels and colonials. Everyone is very friendly and we all look out for each other.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:17 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Try the old Mill town of Vernon- a better and more diverse mixture without the attitude- or South Windsor- a bit more upscale, but not snobby.
Would Vernon be a nice city for a single 27 year old?

Old 03-10-2007, 06:40 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
Would Vernon be a nice city for a single 27 year old?

It can be, but I would recommend looking into Manchester. It's not as much of a bedroom community. Not that there is anything wrong with Vernon, it borders Manchester and all it's stuff with the same access to the same areas - But it just seems more family 2.5 kids and a minivan oriented than a singles life IMO.

Here are some links to apartments in town to give you an idea.

url]http://www.loftsatthemills.com/lc_photo-gallery.asp[/url]

http://www.rent.com/rentals/connecti...1&searchrank=2

http://www.rent.com/rentals/connecti...1&searchrank=8

Old 03-10-2007, 02:17 PM

93 posts, read 394,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmarq View Post

Glastonbury is a nice town, but I'd say most of the residents here aren't wealthy. People have money, and are upper-middle class, but I'd stop short of calling them 'wealthy'. Home prices in Glastonbury mirror most upper-middle class communities across Connecticut.

Wealthy is New Canaan, Greenwich, Weston, Darien, etc.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:25 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It can be, but I would recommend looking into Manchester. It's not as much of a bedroom community. Not that there is anything wrong with Vernon, it borders Manchester and all it's stuff with the same access to the same areas - But it just seems more family 2.5 kids and a minivan oriented than a singles life IMO.

Here are some links to apartments in town to give you an idea.

url]http://www.loftsatthemills.com/lc_photo-gallery.asp[/url]

http://www.rent.com/rentals/connecti...1&searchrank=2

http://www.rent.com/rentals/connecti...1&searchrank=8
Thank you! I definitely don't want 'family/2.5 kids' because that's what I have now where I live. I might have more questions for you later about Manchester.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
Thank you! I definitely don't want 'family/2.5 kids' because that's what I have now where I live. I might have more questions for you later about Manchester.
NP anytime...I live in Manchester and can help you out with any questions you might have.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut