Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

103 posts, read 427,982 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest an installer for a flat screen tv & home theater? I've got a tricky set up above a brick fireplace and need a professional. Already spoke to Geek Squad - not impressed.

Location is West Hartford, CT. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
Hi Jessica,
You might want to look into Best Buy. They offer installation service for home theater. There are stores in Meriden, Newington, North Haven, and Orange (and possibly other towns). We found out about their service when we purchased our TV from them -- although we chose to install it ourselves. Now I understand why people pay to have their TVs installed.

I have no idea about the experience level of their service people, so it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM

174 posts, read 639,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Hi Jessica,
You might want to look into Best Buy. They offer installation service for home theater. There are stores in Meriden, Newington, North Haven, and Orange (and possibly other towns). We found out about their service when we purchased our TV from them -- although we chose to install it ourselves. Now I understand why people pay to have their TVs installed.

I have no idea about the experience level of their service people, so it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it.

The OP already mentioned they weren't impressed by Geek Squad, which is owned/operated by Best Buy...so that's probably not the route they are looking to go

Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Why don't you call S.K. Lavery in West Hartford and ask them for a recommendation. Lavery's is a great independent appliance store and they may sell TVs too but they certainly would know an installer. I also believe there is a TV and video repair place in West Hartford. I don't remember their name but they were on Park Road a few years back. You might try them. Jay

Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
The OP already mentioned they weren't impressed by Geek Squad, which is owned/operated by Best Buy...so that's probably not the route they are looking to go
Haha, that's funny -- they never mentioned Geek Squad in their promo to us. It was more like, "Our highly trained technicians will perform the installation, no sweat. We do this all the time." Luckily, I am a one-man more-than-Geek-Squad.

We are in Ohio now, though. Maybe it's different around CT. I always used to buy at Bernie's in CT, which now has sadly gone under.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendation for TV/Home Theater Installer in Central CT-ladder_tools.jpg   Recommendation for TV/Home Theater Installer in Central CT-final_tv.jpg  

Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM

103 posts, read 427,982 times
Didn't even consider SK Lavery's. Just bought our washer/dryer there. And I remember the tv repair place on Park but not sure if they're still around. Both good suggestions.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Beganski View Post
Can anyone suggest an installer for a flat screen tv & home theater? I've got a tricky set up above a brick fireplace and need a professional. Already spoke to Geek Squad - not impressed.

Location is West Hartford, CT. Thanks!
I would def. advise against the places like Best Buy's Geek Squad, doubly if it's a tricky setup. They are major rip-off's, and their installers are usually very uninformed, lazy, and destructive.

A better bet would be an electrician or carpenter, especially someone you've worked with in the past. To prevent having ugly wiring running around your fireplace or down the middle of your wall, they can come in and run the cabling you'd need, properly. This includes HDMI or other inputs. Make sure to plan for more than you currently have - 1 for Cable TV, 1 for BluRay/DVD, 1 for a gaming system, maybe 1 for hooking up a future HTPC. They can make it pretty and put a plate on it, instead of dangling cables or punching holes and having the cable that way.

Lastly, I'd be careful with installing above a fireplace. You don't want to have issues with the TV components overheating if you're having a fire going, or potentially starting a fire. You can also damage the components if your chimney isn't properly insulated.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 PM

193 posts, read 372,634 times
There's a place called Perfect Vision & Sound on Rt 44 in Avon that caters to high-end home theaters. I don't know if they do small jobs like that or what they charge, but it probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask. If you want to try doing it yourself, I recommend checking out monoprice.com for very good quality, but very cheap, flat panel mounts and HDMI cables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut