Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 PM

18 posts, read 31,799 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
After sifting through hundreds of posts, I am left with a few unanswered questions, and any help would be much appreciated. First, allow me to give you a little background, then maybe you can better help me in looking at my future prospects....
I have been a LPN in TN for 9 yrs, will graduate in May with my RN (ADN) and will relocate soon after licesure is obtained. I know that through the reciprocity process I can receive my CT RN license. I am looking for good employment in the areas of Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport.
I would love to find a employment at good Hospital or Women's Center, and would like to know about the hospitals, average pay rates, reputations with employees (if known), and any feedback from Nurses in the area. The hospitals here will give me 1/2 time experience for my years as a LPN in RN pay rather than give me starting pay as a new grad...(about 4.5yrs exp). Does anyone know if the local hospitals offer anything similar?
The area we move to depends on my Partner's acceptance into a university, but the areas I listed are the main areas we are looking at overall. We will be bringing along a teenager who will be in the 8th Grade, I know the schools here cannot begin to compare to CT schools, so education may or may not be a huge issue at first.
The crime rates in our area are not low by any means. (especially in the nearest larger city of Chattanooga) I want the area to be safe, however I am a realist and know that there are good and bad areas in every city.
We are looking for an area that offers family friendly activities for a 13 yr old to enjoy, as well as adults. (Especially outdoor!!) Decent shopping, fairly walkable (during the day/early evening), close to good resturaunts etc. We are ready for a progressive, fairly liberal and accepting environment with four seasons, beautiful scenery and the ability to just enjoy being ourselves. OH, and I need to mention we will rent, prefer a duplex/house as we have a chunky puppy that exceeds the avg. wt limit of 25 lbs!
We were in CT in December and drove through a few of the areas (Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk- each unique!) it was beautiful, snowing and a very positive experience for all of us. We cannot wait to get back again, the people were approachable and polite/the seafood DIVINE!

I know I am asking alot, but this is a big move, as we are bringing a younger teen from a very stifling NON-PROGRESSIVE/NON TOLERANT area. We really want to make the right decision for all involved, even though I personally feel anywhere (almost) is better than here!
~choked by the buckle of the proverbial bible belt
Cera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not think you will have an issue finding a place to live near any of these cities. You should look outside the city itself though. Here in Connecticut the cities are small in area and surrounded by smaller independent towns that serve as suburbs. These towns usually offer better education opportunities but are also usually more expensive. That expense will be worth it because you have a child.

In any of these areas, it will come down to how much you can afford. Coming from a lower cost area you may be shocked at the price of real estate here particularly in Fairfield County. That said,around Bridgeport I would consider Fairfield, Trumbull, Stratford and Shelton. Around New Haven, Milford, Hamden, north Haven, Branford and Wallingford. In the Hartford area, consider West Hartford, Newington, Wethersfield, Rocky hill and South Windsor. There are many many more great towns that you could also look into as well. I am just trying to give you a starting point. Jay

Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Thanks!

Jay,
Thank you! You always have a wealth of info for anyone who posts on the boards! We appreciate your advice . As far as affordability, it will depend on the rate of pay for a RN and what is offered. I will be submitting resumes very soon to the local hospitals to see what is brought to the table. Rent is so variable in all of the areas mentioned it is crazy to me. My Partner is from Phil, PA and has lived in NJ so she is very familiar with the increased COL. We have been researching CT for a long time (NY as well) and it is the true esssence of what we are looking for. The personalities on the boards even draw me in . We have researched the RN pay, COL calculator etc and it should be doable...
I am curious though, as far as the rent, we have noticed that is varies from 500-1200 on avg near the college-town areas (within 10miles or so) for 2-3 bedrooms. In your opinion, is this due to bad areas, rentability for students, or something we should be wary of? Oh and one more thing, I mentioned education, dare I say TN schools are horrid ,(I am honest to a fault), lacking and some of the poorest in the nation. I am very concerned with my son's ability to adapt to the higher standards and better education in CT. Any advice there? I won't be able to afford a tutor at first, this is why I am more concerned with school safety than the school being higher up on the state standards. (I am sure some of CT's worst still beat out his current school in quality of education) . Any ideas?
~Cera

Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_cera View Post
Jay,
Oh and one more thing, I mentioned education, dare I say TN schools are horrid ,(I am honest to a fault), lacking and some of the poorest in the nation. I am very concerned with my son's ability to adapt to the higher standards and better education in CT. Any advice there? I won't be able to afford a tutor at first, this is why I am more concerned with school safety than the school being higher up on the state standards. (I am sure some of CT's worst still beat out his current school in quality of education) . Any ideas?
~Cera
I wanted to address this earlier, but i didn't because i figured that i would be vilified for recommending "average" school districts. If you end up at one of Bridgeport's hospitals, then i would suggest Stratford. If you end up at one of New Haven's hospitals, i'd suggest Hamden. I'm not well versed enough about the Hartford area to give a recommendation, but my best guess would be Manchester would be most similar to the demographics of Hamden and Stratford.

These districts aren't poor, but they're not ultra competitive either.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Please allow me to say that any and all advice is accepted, and gratefully so... And you will not find any fake "southern genteelness" from me. I am so appreciative of honesty as I am constantly surrounded by the exact opposite . So again, thank you for advice already given and any not yet received....
~Cera

Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 PM

274 posts, read 518,414 times
I stayed in TN for a month last October. I actually felt ill having to come back here but I have a house that I can't sell so I'm stuck here. I am keeping the house on the market. If it ever does sell, I will be out of here in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't worry too much about educational standards here because they are vastly over-hyped. The Board of Ed. manipulates the statistics in an attempt to justify the hundreds of millions of dollars that disappear into our educational system. Your son will need someone to teach him how to speak with a Yankee accent. There is still a lingering prejudice here that people from the southern states are nothing but a bunch of ignorant rednecks. It would also help if he had a jacket or T-shirt that praises Mao, Stalin, Lenin or Marx.

The house across the street is renting for $1300 a month but it is a crappy house in a bad area. Plan on paying around $2200 for a rent in a good area. You should be able to afford that if you work a lot of double shifts.

Maybe it will be a good place for you but CT is still losing population. If it is such a good place; why are so many people leaving?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM

269 posts, read 607,487 times
Hi Cera,
I'm not sure about hospitals but nursing homes (which pay a bit better) pay in the $30-35 range for RNs. CT has a lot of LPNs but RNs are still in short supply so you shouldn't have any difficulty finding work. A town between Bridgeport and New Haven would give you the most flexibility. Stratford, Milford and Trumbull might be good places to start.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I stayed in TN for a month last October. I actually felt ill having to come back here but I have a house that I can't sell so I'm stuck here. I am keeping the house on the market. If it ever does sell, I will be out of here in a heartbeat.
What part of TN did you visit if I may ask?

Quote:
There is still a lingering prejudice here that people from the southern states are nothing but a bunch of ignorant rednecks. It would also help if he had a jacket or T-shirt that praises Mao, Stalin, Lenin or Marx.
Dare I reply that in alot of the southern areas, anyone from anywhere up north is still regarded as pretentious, snobby, obnoxious and always referred to as a "yankee"- never simply as "our new neighbor from (insert any not southern state here). Although for myself, and alot of my friends, we gravitate towards anyone who is not from here LOL. I don't think I will be putting anything on my son of that nature. The people we met while visiting in CT (as well as NY/PA) were kind and gracious. In fact, the CT residents were VERY nice, gave us any help we needed, and made our stay one that made a fantastic impression. Not everyone is a "redneck", however,yes there are those who are stuck in that mentality. Such is life. I have to say, if he is anything like his Mom, he will be able thicken his skin quite readily and deal with it, just like the kids here do to the constant bullying that is VERY prevalent in the schools.

Quote:
If it is such a good place; why are so many people leaving?
I honestly think this is true of alot of places, I know it is dependent on ages, job availability, etc. TN has had a growth according to the city-data site for alot of the cities. I know that we have alot of retirees, as well as alot of people my age. However, alot of the problems that are being run into here are once someone moves here (COL draws alot of ppl in) culture shock, lack of financial/educational resources, lack of jobs, unforseen costs, heat/rain/HUMIDITY/pollen etc all come into play. Some of the ppl I have spoken to wish they could move back to other areas (NY/PA etc) asap. It all depends on what one is looking for, what one needs, and what one really expects I suppose.

~Cera

Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about educational standards here because they are vastly over-hyped. The Board of Ed. manipulates the statistics in an attempt to justify the hundreds of millions of dollars that disappear into our educational system. Your son will need someone to teach him how to speak with a Yankee accent. There is still a lingering prejudice here that people from the southern states are nothing but a bunch of ignorant rednecks. It would also help if he had a jacket or T-shirt that praises Mao, Stalin, Lenin or Marx.

The house across the street is renting for $1300 a month but it is a crappy house in a bad area. Plan on paying around $2200 for a rent in a good area. You should be able to afford that if you work a lot of double shifts.

Maybe it will be a good place for you but CT is still losing population. If it is such a good place; why are so many people leaving?
I do not agree with much of what you posted. I realize that you have issues here but what you describe is not entirely accurate. People are not leaving in droves. Also the schools here are top rated by all standards and those statistics are not controlled by our educators. As for rents, I have no idea where you live but it is not necessarily the same across the entire state. I am sorry you are having problems here but don't exagerate things because of your frustrations. Jay

Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_cera View Post
Jay,
Thank you! You always have a wealth of info for anyone who posts on the boards! We appreciate your advice . As far as affordability, it will depend on the rate of pay for a RN and what is offered. I will be submitting resumes very soon to the local hospitals to see what is brought to the table. Rent is so variable in all of the areas mentioned it is crazy to me. My Partner is from Phil, PA and has lived in NJ so she is very familiar with the increased COL. We have been researching CT for a long time (NY as well) and it is the true esssence of what we are looking for. The personalities on the boards even draw me in . We have researched the RN pay, COL calculator etc and it should be doable...
I am curious though, as far as the rent, we have noticed that is varies from 500-1200 on avg near the college-town areas (within 10miles or so) for 2-3 bedrooms. In your opinion, is this due to bad areas, rentability for students, or something we should be wary of? Oh and one more thing, I mentioned education, dare I say TN schools are horrid ,(I am honest to a fault), lacking and some of the poorest in the nation. I am very concerned with my son's ability to adapt to the higher standards and better education in CT. Any advice there? I won't be able to afford a tutor at first, this is why I am more concerned with school safety than the school being higher up on the state standards. (I am sure some of CT's worst still beat out his current school in quality of education) . Any ideas?
~Cera
Keep in mind that you get what you pay for here. If it is cheap there is a reason and that usually has to do with location. A unusually cheap place may be in a bad part of town or on a busy or noisy street. It also could be a scam (watch this when looking on craigslist.com). As for schools for your child, I have found that there is a wealth of help for students that need it. Most teachers have after school assistance and the guidance counselors are great at finding the right place for your child. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut