Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
our state is primarily filled with middle class towns.
Disagree. Most of the towns in CT have average incomes substantially higher than the national average. A good percentage have well above double and triple. I don't call that "middle class". The true middle class families are leaving in droves.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo08 View Post
We are sort of in the same boat where having recently bought a house in last 2 years, we think CT is not for us. The reasons are

1) weather
2) Taxes
3) jobs - high tech jobs seems less and less in the state, more opportunities seem in NC (RTP)/ GA (ATL) areas
4) Property values - We have an above average starter home, but for the same amount, we can get a lot more house
5) Education for kids is spotty at best from my research, some districts are good, some bad, but good districts have very high tax/property values.
If you think education is "spotty", try sending your children to one of the large mega systems in other parts of the country. Jay

Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Disagree. Most of the towns in CT have average incomes substantially higher than the national average. A good percentage have well above double and triple. I don't call that "middle class". The true middle class families are leaving in droves.
Part of that is because this is a more expensive part of the country to live in. What is a middle class income would be upper middle somewhere else.

I don't agree that the middle class are "leaving in drove" either. If that were true home prices would be plummeting significantly. Though home prices are down, they are not down nearly as much as other parts of the country. Our free economic structure sets prices of things like homes, so if one part of the country is hurting, prices drop. It is that simmple. Jay

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 AM

90 posts, read 299,707 times
I haved mixed feelings on CT. The lack of interest in the cities bothers me which really makes people look snobby here. There seems to be an invisible glass ceiling that the suburban people here lay on the poor who live in the ghettos. I have met people from Orange who have not been to Bridgeport in a decade, and here in North Branford people think its a sin to go into New Haven (other than the crime rate its a very cool city). There is such a seperate lifestyle between races and cultures here too, the two CAN'T integrate because their lifestyles don't mix (black and white).

I like how most of CT is like the more polished version of New Jersey and Mass. I noticed how lots of people here are better looking because they take better care of themselves and the attitude is genuine. The people who live here are smart but moreover they have common sense. Not too much ignorance going on, can't say the same about where we moved from.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
I have met people from Orange who have not been to Bridgeport in a decade
This doesn't really surprise, what exactly is there in Bridgeport to see? Other than a few small museums and a small zoo, I can't think of anything to do in Bridgeport. We almost never go there. Sure there's baseball, but it's minor league, and our family just isn't interested in minor league sports. Maybe if there was more in Bridgeport to draw families in, more people would be willing to go there. Personally I think that is a large part of Bridgeport's problem in overcoming their image, there needs to be more there to draw people in.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM

I think this is true of any smaller city these days. The suburbs have grown so much and offer just about everything you would need, there is no reason to go into the city at all. I hadn't been into Hartford in months except for a meeting there the other day. Not sure why I would have to go back except for another meeting. Jay

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,787 times
[quote=MikefromCT;13270906]If you're used to summer temps year round, you're in for a rude surprise coming to Connecticut. But I'd still take the 4 seasons over it. Why? Because atleast in the northeast you have green. When I think of SoCal, I think of dead yellow and brown grass, cities covered in concrete, the smog belt that covers most of LA, Kern and Riverside Counties, the gangs, the endless shopping plazas jammed with fast food joints and cheap chain stores, the 6-lane freeways that are always jammed, you get the idea. Of course it has its virtues, but its drawbacks overshadow it IMO.

Snotty people? Please. These are everywhere. I realize there's a reason the Beach Boys said "I wish they all could be California girls", and I know why very well. But there's also a reason why the San Fernando Valley is called silicone valley. I can't tell you what exactly goes on in some of those ranch houses. . . except to say that if there's a filming van in the driveway and there's black curtains in the windows, it's not a funeral. I'm glad this doesn't go on here in CT. I wish I could show you some of the people I've met in that area - they were so dumb they made ME question evolution.

I totally agree Mike. It is what you make it.

I'm not sure what part of CA the OP comes from but to me CA is much worse off. Many, not all, areas are ugly and smog ridden and bankrupt to say the least.
At least in CT you have beautiful landscape and are close to thriving cities like NY and Boston. As far as the people. I think they are similar. If you want really friendly people to newcomers move South. Of course, you will have a whole new set of problems down there.

I think what the OP might have meant was that CT wasn't what they expected and they are not happy living there, as opposed to living in CA. Check out the CA board and you will find five times more people wanting to get out of the state. I am sick of seeing people with teeth so white they are almost blue and so many woman only concerned with their looks and nothing else. It's just the nature of the beast, I know, but it gets just a tiring as run down cities get to people in CT.

As far as the weather if you moved there not expecting a change in seasons then you were naive at best. I don't think it's for everyone. Thank goodness there are 50 states to choose from. Try another!

Last edited by oc2nyc; 03-15-2010 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Quote did not show up correctly

Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM

76 posts, read 173,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you think education is "spotty", try sending your children to one of the large mega systems in other parts of the country. Jay

Sorry if I said anything wrong, I meant the education system is sporadically good, just like some other parts of the country. Where its good, its really good. Where its average, its well, just average or less. Thats what I mean by spotty.

We are comparing New Haven county to Atlanta suburbs, or Triangle, NC. I hear same things about schools there too, but I have no experience with schools, don't have any kids YET.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM

112 posts, read 243,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
So sick and tired of hearing about the lovely Connecticut weather and the rolling hills. What good are they if you can't afford to do anything in this state. I am Connecticut born and raised and unfortunately stuck around to watch its demise. Today the middle class which I was so accustomed is gone. I can't afford the furniture in the homes I work in today. I constantly deal with cut throat customers who would rather sell their mothers than get a first class job. High taxes, high commercial rents, etc. etc. If you buy a house in CT, you automatically have 2 mortgages, one to the bank and the other to the tax collector. When you tell others from around the country you pay $700 a month for property taxes on your house, they think your nuts. Not to mention where are money goes too. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling to know my hard earned tax dollars are paying the guy who sits in the passenger seat of the state dump truck, NOT THE DRIVER, THE PASSENGER, his $100000.00 a year salary. Yes it's true, public knowledge on state employee salaries. I can go on and on I guess but don't want to take up page after page. Run if you can, wish I did years ago. Now I'm stuck with a property I can't sell and taxes I can't afford. But oh, the change of seasons is soooooo wonderful!!!!

I have to agree mikeandaija2009. This is by no means me being negative...it is MY reality and what I am dealing with trying to live in this state just as mikeandaija2009's post was. Just because someone voices their opinion and what they are deling with I do not view as negative. I've read other posts about how CT is wonderful and that you don't need to take out a second mortgage to afford your taxes and that no, state employees do not make that much. Well, here is my post on MY reality and the CT I'm living in.

First, to all of you replying about how much you love this state. It's great that you can make enough money to afford to live in this state and that you have such low property taxes, or maybe you just make enough to afford them. However, look at the rate for towns that aren't so "middle class" with almost affordable housing. East Hartford and Hartford have some of the highest property taxes. And, now this is a fact, Hartford is second in the nation for poverty with 30% of the population below the poverty level and a per capita income of $13,428. No wonder Hartford is such a violent city. How can anyone live on less than $14,000 per year?? And where are people getting these facts that people in CT make 3-4 times more than people in other states??? Where are these jobs?? Please tell me, as I make over $40,000 and according to the state web site, one person making what I do is SLIGHTLY over the poverty level...not even CLOSE to middle class and yes I have a college degree and yes I bust my rear every day and have to work overtime just to afford my rent. Maybe these jobs you are referring to are in NYC?? Where people make well over six figures then commute back to the "Gold Coast". Maybe you are referring to state jobs????? Which brings me to my second point.
Second, do some research regarding state employees. They do in fact make that much money. I know, as I have family who work for the state and make WELL over $100/hr. And like the previous replies they love this state, I would too if I made that kind of money and could maybe go to these parks people are talking about or see some shows at the Bushnell. However, most weekends Im occupied...doing overtime to make ends meet....rent, paying off student loans, buying groceries...etc.
Third, it is true about the service industy...if you are lucky enough to get a job in one of those occupations. I know many people in various service industries, mostly electricians. About 10yrs ago jobs in that industry in CT were booming and paying good money...not anymore. It's also true that people would rather pay for shotty work than shell out the extra money for quality. I know people with their own business' that put out bids and it's come down to the lowest bid gets the job. I've also seen times when a company who lost the bid a few years later gets a call from the person who went with the lowest bid who now needs a major overhaul of the work previously done.
Fourth, everyone keeps talking about how bad it is down south and that people must move only for the warm weather. Not true again. As for the elderly who cannot make ends meet. I've seen it first hand. I've seen a lot of elderly people move out of CT because they simply cannot afford it. These people on fixed incomes pay soooo much for medications, housing, groceries after they busted their rears their entire life to make it here and they are leaving..yes, in droves. Mostly because your SSI is the same no matter where you live and yes, in the Midwest and in the South the cost of living is sooo much more reasonable. You may say, well the cost of living is reasonable because the salaries are so low. Again to that I say do your research. I have a friend in FL making well over $30,000/yr doing construction. Her husband also does construction and makes more than she does due to his experience. Her salary was entry level. So, they live in FL and make WELL over $60,000 per year. Their mortgage for a gorgeous house with an inground pool??? Less than $500 per month and their property taxes are dirt cheap. You do the math on that one. Let's just say they are living VERY well. And again...do your research. In CT straight out of college a lot of companies don't even offer $30,000 to start and that is with a college degree! My friend making that same salary in FL has her HS diploma.
Fifth, people are cold here and snotty but why not???? Those of us busting our butts to make ends meet simply do not have time to give a smile or a hello...if we are out it's because we are running errands and have to get back to our overtime or second job. I wish it wasnt like that but for me and the majority of the people I know that's OUR reality, OUR Connecticut. And for the people who have the money, well they just seem to have attitudes anyway and again, why not?? They can afford to. What gets me is that I am the one holding the door for people and I can't even get a thank you. Now that is just common curtosy and downright rude.
Sixth, I've lived in CT my entire life. I've seen it go from nice suburbs to garbage. Now I'm not talking about those of you living in the "wealthier" towns..those have seemed to stay pretty nice. But those of you who are making it...take a drive around CT to some of the less wealthy towns, if you dare. You will see how the majority of CT is living. If you open your eyes and take a good look...it's not pretty.
And for my seventh and final point....there is NO middle class in CT anymore. That is the hard truth. Either your making a lot of money and you love this state or you are poor and getting state assistance. Those who think they are middle class are racking up their credit card bills and going without just to survive in this state. I know a family where the husband is a diesel mechanic, the wife works in an office making good money and they cannot afford to buy clothes for their toddler since they pay around $600/month for electric and outrageous property taxes. They work hard for what they have, which is a house and nothing more since they cannot afford any luxuries. They are working just to keep a roof over their head and relying on family to help clothe their daughter. However, according to the state they make too much to get any assistance. And the kicker...they bought their house at a reasonable price as a forclosure! I know waaay too many people in CT who are dealing with problems like this. And it seems that salaries arent increasing but everything else is! Case in point, I went to a chain supermarket to pick up peppers. It cost me $9 for 4 peppers...2 green and 2 red. My electric bill has tripled in 10 years and my cable keeps going up what seems like every month. I cannot afford to buy anything in this state, I don't have parents to help me out or give me a down payment (which seems to be the norm here) and there are some condos I could afford but factor in the property taxes and it's over my budget.
So for those of you fortunate enough to make enough or have families to help you out when the going gets tough...I applaud you. Apparently you are making it here. However, the majority of CT is not. It's so frustrating to work so hard every day of your life and still just scrape by...if that...never mind have anything to show for it...and watching as more and more towns become rundown. But as I have said earlier, this is MY reality and the CT I'm living in. Thank you for letting me share my experience.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't agree that the middle class are "leaving in drove" either. If that were true home prices would be plummeting significantly. Though home prices are down, they are not down nearly as much as other parts of the country. Our free economic structure sets prices of things like homes, so if one part of the country is hurting, prices drop. It is that simmple. Jay
Home prices aren't plummeting because the people who can afford to move here are doing so. On this board, we have a lot more people looking into towns like Glastonbury, Southbury, Westport and Madison than we do West Haven, East Hartford and Waterbury. CT has a significant amount of jobs that require skill that pay more than the average state does. Also, many companies in NYC/Jersey City are requiring their employees to telecommute (to save them $$$$) so lots of these folks are moving to places like CT and Westchester, further widening the wealth gap. I've seen it with the companies I work for everyday - two well to do families I know just moved to central/northern CT from the immediate NYC area due to this.

I agree with tryingtomakeitinCT on lack of middle class - people need to leave this state to realize what true middle class is. I consider my family to be working class, and we have a much higher than average income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
And for the people who have the money, well they just seem to have attitudes anyway and again, why not?? They can afford to. What gets me is that I am the one holding the door for people and I can't even get a thank you. Now that is just common curtosy and downright rude.
I find this attitude/lack of class to be more common amongst the lower classes.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-30-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut