Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickersBar View Post
Would that be 50 miles each way? Is there anywhere in between that would be a good compromise that would have the same things I'm used to but cut down on the drive?
Actually, I just checked yahoo maps (Danbury Hospital to Vassar Brothers Hospital), and it shows the distance to be 43 miles EACH WAY. The midpoint would be the Taconic Range on I-84 (elevation 970!). There's very little there. At this point, you're not far from the Putnam County line (town of Kent a/k/a Lake Carmel).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Thanks, Rich. I've read some things about the towns you mentioned. Everything I've read has said to avoid the City of Poughkeepsie, as it's not supposed to be safe. Of the other places you mentioned, do you know if any of those places have newer, clean, safe apartment buildings?
Can't say that I do: it's been 23 years since I lived in Dutchess County. My father still lived there (city of Beacon) until 12/26/2009 when he passed away.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM

28 posts, read 98,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
looks like Dutchess County is north of Danbury in NY so you might want to check out the metro north trains from Brewster station (which is the closest to Danbury). i know when i took the train home from Westchester County (northbound to Danbury), the train would keep going for quite a few stops afterwards. i lived in Danbury at the time. as far as a place to live, i liked it. i was right off I84 exit 5 only 10 minutes or so from the Danbury mall (exit 3). there are 2 Stop&Shops relatively close by, a Target, Best Buy and a lot of stuff on Federal Road including a Shop Rite, Borders, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut. last i checked there was a Blockbuster right in the plaza as you get off exit 2 but it could be closed by now.
here's the link to the metro north map..

MNR Connecting Service

sorry just read you'll be in Poughkeepsie which is on the other side of the county from the Harlem Line. but you may be able figure out a way to use the Hudson line.
Since I don't know much about the NY/CT and the trains, are you saying that I could drive and park at a Hudson line stop, and then take the train to Poughkeepsie? If so, do you know if that would just eat up more time, like making an hour commute (driving my own car daily) into more of a 2-3 hour commute?

Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
"Since I don't know much about the NY/CT and the trains, are you saying that I could drive and park at a Hudson line stop, and then take the train to Poughkeepsie? If so, do you know if that would just eat up more time, like making an hour commute (driving my own car daily) into more of a 2-3 hour commute?"

i do know that the Brewster station had a parking area that you'd pay $5 a day for as did other stops like Southeast. not sure about any of the Hudson line stops since i never took it. never drove to P'sie either so sorry i couldn't be more help about the total distance/time.
but considering how far away P'sie is from Danbury, Danbury probably wouldn't be the best option as far as a place to live.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 AM

113 posts, read 325,988 times
I lived in Ridgefield for 11 years: town south of Danbury. You would be working in NY so stay in NY; especially Poughkeepsie. Just check out the areas some of it is dingy. It does have Vasser, Marist & the Bard Colleges so nightlife is ok I would assume. When I was single I went into Danbury at night and believe NYC was next stop.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
There are a few newer apartment complexs in Danbury. 1 Bedrooms looks like they start at about 1200 a month

Old 03-19-2010, 12:00 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Snickers, very few people who live in the NY Tri-state area have a good commute to work or anywhere else. Not to sound discouraging, but the areas you are talking about are pretty rural. If you are a single person moving here on your own, you might find it a bit difficult. I'd suggest a visit. Seriously. Danbury is an okay suburb but it is far from Poughkeepsie. That ride home on a dark, snowy night might be a beeyotch.
Poughkeepsie is a PIT.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM

28 posts, read 98,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Snickers, very few people who live in the NY Tri-state area have a good commute to work or anywhere else. Not to sound discouraging, but the areas you are talking about are pretty rural. If you are a single person moving here on your own, you might find it a bit difficult. I'd suggest a visit. Seriously. Danbury is an okay suburb but it is far from Poughkeepsie. That ride home on a dark, snowy night might be a beeyotch.
Poughkeepsie is a PIT.

Thanks, Ex. I do plan on visiting in the next couple of months, but by all accounts, it doesn't sound like I'll be impressed. The job sounds like it could be great, but I don't want hate where I live. And yes, that commute to Danbury on a dark, snowy night wouldn't be a pleasant experience. So I definitely want to avoid that.

Do you have any suggestions on places that would be better?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Hi, I just saw your post in the Westchester forum and I would say that with lower population, it's probably more doable than the "White Plains to Poughkeepsie" post you put in that forum.

I have a friend who works in Wappingers Falls and lives in Danbury for various reasons (family in CT, wife works in Southbury, lower taxes, similar housing costs). What I know of his commute:

1) Easy most of the way because of I-84, though the little stretch of I-84 from Danbury to I-684 can have some traffic at times.

2) Unfortunately, I-84 does not go directly to Poughkeepsie, it's westernmost point in Dutchess is Beacon. He tends to find going up the Taconic Parkway to rt. 55 (which for you would directly go to Poughkeepsie, he takes backroads from there) less traffic than taking I-84 to Beacon and going up US 9 (which is more direct for him since Wappingers is just north of that), which is "strip mall" territory and has lots of traffic. But in winter weather he would take the US 9 way.

3) If possible, live closer to the NY border (i.e. west of downtown Danbury) than east out toward Newtown, as Danbury does sprawl for several miles), since that will shorten your commute a little bit too

4) Finally, unlike WP, you definitely could not take a train from Danbury to Poughkeepsie. Our trains are really geared towards going to/from NYC. Even from WP as some noted in that forum, the train line from Poughkeepsie doesn't stop there, nearest stop is Tarrytown a few miles west.

So while not great either, I would say a better commute (and a little cheaper expenses) than White Plains to Poughkeepsie. Again, good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
I might have to relocate for a job in Dutchess County. The job sounds great but I've read things about Dutchess that aren't so favorable. I'm currently in the the midwest, in a very suburban city. I don't mind relocating but I want to live in the suburbs. And I mean the REAL suburbs, not the country or a rural setting. I like having the grocery stores, Macy's, Blockbuster, Target, the cleaners, the shopping malls, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, the Library, etc. all only 10 minutes away (if that much). Is there such a place in Dutchess County? If not, where would be the best place for me to commute to my job in Dutchess but still have access to the suburban lifestyle that I'm accustomed to?

Also, I've checked out Danbury, CT and I'm wondering if that's a realistic option as far as living there but commuting daily to Dutchess. I saw that they have a large scale mall. Is that area a good, safe, welcoming place for a young professional to call home?

I'd love to hear from anyone who is familiar with these areas, and I'm totally open to suggestions. I don't want to pass up on this possible job opportunity (especially in this struggling market and economy!) but I don't want to move to a city only to hate it. Please help!
You could commute from Danbury but I'm not sure why you would. There are some very nice parts of Dutchess County, and honestly, crossing over the border in Connecticut to live in Danbury won't make any big difference. In fact, there are parts of Dutchess that are nicer than Danbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut