Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 AM

330 posts, read 1,402,214 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband has taken a teaching position in Greenwich and we're moving this summer. We're natives of South Carolina, but have been living in Los Angeles for 5 years. And though he teaches at an exclusive school here (in Brentwood) I keep hearing that the new money of LA has nothing on the old money of CT.
Tell me true - how much of a culture shock is this going to be? The stats say there are about 1000 African Americans in Greenwich - but I get the distinct feeling - I will miss the diversity of LA.
Where do the "non trust fund" peeps the live in Greenwich - shop, eat and play?

Also - can someone tell me what kinds of things we'll need for the cold weather? What is this layering you speak of? After 5 years of wearing sandals year round - we don't even own coats, mittens and scarves.

Thanks,
Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM

44 posts, read 325,974 times
Welcome to CT!

Stamford is a large town that borders Greenwich. It is very diverse culturally and economically. Just off the top of my head there is a club called The Palms which is owned by a Guatemalan guy that has had bands from Colombia, Guatemala, etc... You will find a lot of shopping and restaurants there. When you get settled be sure to try the pizza at Colony Grill in Stamford, Connecticut is known for having great pizza.

Port Chester, another town that borders Greenwich, has a large Latino population. You can find Mexican, Peruvian, and Salvadoran restaurants there.

If you live in Greenwich New York City is basically in your backyard. The train into the city is about 40 minutes, and if it isn't rush hour you can drive it in less. There you will find just about everything.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
Hello all! My husband has taken a teaching position in Greenwich and we're moving this summer. We're natives of South Carolina, but have been living in Los Angeles for 5 years. And though he teaches at an exclusive school here (in Brentwood) I keep hearing that the new money of LA has nothing on the old money of CT.
Tell me true - how much of a culture shock is this going to be? The stats say there are about 1000 African Americans in Greenwich - but I get the distinct feeling - I will miss the diversity of LA.
Where do the "non trust fund" peeps the live in Greenwich - shop, eat and play?

Also - can someone tell me what kinds of things we'll need for the cold weather? What is this layering you speak of? After 5 years of wearing sandals year round - we don't even own coats, mittens and scarves.

Thanks,
Sara
I think the culture shock you will see IS the relative 'conservatism' of those in south western CT; and the rest of New England as well- and I do not necessarily mean politically. The state is very liberal on social issues perhaps more so then Brentwood. However the 'look' of the population is rather preppy, and restrained as opposed to the L.A look of 'the more wacky the better'.

Old money here is far less 'consumer oriented' then new money In California. People may have millions IN Greenwich and Fairfield county CT but they prefer to drive their old Volvo or Saab. It is considered 'poor taste' to be 'showy' or flaunt ones status economically. Subtlety and understatement go a long way here- showiness and over the top arrogance do not. Never ever brag. Actually the old money here is more accessible then the newer money of the west coast. Not everyone in SW CT has a trust fund- and most people mingle (shop, eat out and attend theater together) without segregation according to 'money'.

That said we do have a winter here- but you will not need to dress like you might have to in Chicago or Minneapolis. We have a handful of really cold days a winter here. Dressing in 'layers' on most days would include a heavy sweater; and some kind of wind and water resistant lightweight outer garment. For dress a conservative trench coat or lightweight top coat of nice tailoring is expected.

A hat is always useful on cold and windy days. And waterproof outer shoes are very helpful in case of rain, snow or slush. L.L Bean, Eddie Bauer are great resources- as the population tends to emulate the models seen in these two retailers catalog's.

Southwestern CT has a great deal of diversity, with different cultures, races, ethnic groups- and the local restaurants certainly reflect this.

Good luck and safe passage east; welcome to our beautiful state.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
skytrekker is correct. understated old money is very common. My aunt worked for one of the son of one of the wealthiest families in the country and his mother lived in a hugh mansion in Greenwich, had many servants and still drove herself around in an old car. Many times she would come over to my aunts house and sit in her kitchen and talk to whoever happened to come in. No one ever knew she was one of the wealthiest women in the country (even the world). She dressed simply in preppy clothes. She was very nice. Again old money.

People with new money tend to be flashier, needing to show off their wealth. We have this too, but not nearly as much as the west coast. Jay

Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Couldn't agree more.

The old money folks of Connecticut are down to earth, very friendly and really do drive that old Volvo or Saab over a brand new Mercedes. Connecticut is a place where it's not "cool" to be flashy.

That being said, you certainly will find those new money "yuppies" who moved from other areas of the nation who drive that Range Rover or Mercedes S500. Believe it or not, these are the people that have less class than the old money folks in Greenwich and Connecticut in general.

So if you're driving down Putnam Ave (Route 1) behind an old wagon, it could be among the wealthiest people in the country. No exaggeration.

Oh and the "poorest" section of Greenwich is Byram, which is still very upscale and expensive by national standards.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 AM

22 posts, read 90,451 times
Default Greenwich CT

You will enjoy CT. I grew up in CT, then lived in Los Angeles for 10 years, then lived again in CT, VA, & IL.
CT-4 seasons, expect warm weather by Mother's Day, easy to go berry picking, drive to the coast, eat seafood, lots of county fairs every weekend in warm months.

LA-2 seasons, sort of cold Feb. Not a lot of "natural" outdoorsy events like county fairs. Santa Monica & Malibu beaches pretty, and also pretty weird. Much more of a "party" scene then CT

Black-White-Green, the color of the person doesn't matter as much as intelligence when you live in an upscale area such as Greenwich. People like a good book. Some notable CT residents include: David Letterman, Martha Stewart, Meryl Streep, Paul Newman and a lot more. If you are a minority it's not a big deal like the it could be in the south because northerners were against slavery during the Civil War.

CT is a great place to live because you can be in NYC in an hour, or drive to Boston in 3 hours for a completely different experience. New Haven has the Schubert Theatre for plays that are being tested before going on Broadway.

Sleeping Giant in Hamden is a great park to hike in. Devil's Falls (I think Torrington). Mystic Seasport. etc etc.

The weather will be testy from Nov-May, but better than Chicago winters.

I went to college in CT and rode my bicycle to/from classes almost all year.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerpastures View Post
Some notable CT residents include: David Letterman, Martha Stewart, Meryl Streep, Paul Newman and a lot more.
Martha Stewart has moved to Westchester and is selling her home in Westport. Her home was on a small piece of property in Greens Farms and the neighbors were fed up with the problems her filming ther caused. She gave up and purchased a large estate in Katonah, NY.

Jay

Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the good information. We are really excited about the move. And I'm glad to know that there is a more down to earth vibe in CT. Here in LA - there is a definite difference in the haves and have nots. i.e. at school events - our was the only American made car in the garage - everyone else in Range Rovers, Bentleys and BMW 750s. Today is my daughters last day of school - and the end of the year party will be held at a classmates house - where the POOL HOUSE is over 3000 sq ft. I am ready to be back on the East Coast and glad to know I won't be surrounded by moms dripping in diamonds at every PTA meeting. And though my husband will be teaching at a private school - Im thrilled that the public schools are so outstanding. My daughter will be at North Street Elem - and I couldn't be happier.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 AM

Oh yeah - we will need snow tires, right?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM

All weather tires are fine in CT. We do not get that much snow so feww people I know bother changing tires anymore. You may see people with nice jewelry but no one really walks around dripping in diamonds, at least not that I noticed. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut