Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM

274 posts, read 518,672 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my house for in Meriden, CT for $209,000. It is 3 bedrooms, 1.25 bath, with a full basement, side deck and a detached 4 car garage. The house is on .34 acre and I have a small garden strawberry patch, blackberries, and perennial flower beds.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-07-2007 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,025 times
[quote=Rickd203;838876]I'm selling my house for in Meriden, CT for $209,000. It is 3 bedrooms, 1.25 bath, with a full basement, side deck and a detached 4 car garage. The house is on .34 acre and I have a small garden strawberry patch, blackberries, and perennial flower beds.

Try craigslist.com.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-07-2007 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM

85 posts, read 287,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
I'm selling my house for in Meriden, CT for $209,000. It is 3 bedrooms, 1.25 bath, with a full basement, side deck and a detached 4 car garage. The house is on .34 acre and I have a small garden strawberry patch, blackberries, and perennial flower beds. Contact me at rdelpivo@hotmail.com if you are interested.
Not looking to buy right now, but thank you

Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
If you are looking to rent or lease for a year, then many of these towns are quite expensive and won't necessarily have the largest selection of properties. These are mostly towns made up of homeowners. You should look into one of the more populated neighboring communities. There are a lot more conveniences as well as town services, parks, community events. A few of these city/towns are Bristol, Southington, Plainville, New Britain, Berlin, Newington. Any extra commuting time is very short; 5, 10, 15 minutes maybe. Some of the previously mentioned bedroom communities have real traffic problems too, especially during rush hour when the few routes in town are virtually clogged. Plus $$$$$!
Seriously, not everyone who works in Farmington can live in Farmington. There's a huge medical facility there. It's folly to think that everyone could.
Bristol is a vibrant city and Southington is a wholesome larger town, both just a stone's throw away.

Last edited by sun; 06-06-2007 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
If you are looking to rent or lease for a year, then many of these towns are quite expensive and won't necessarily have the largest selection of properties. These are mostly towns made up of homeowners. You should look into one of the more populated neighboring communities. There are a lot more conveniences as well as town services, parks, community events. A few of these city/towns are Bristol, Southington, Plainville, New Britain, Berlin, Newington. Any extra commuting time is very short; 5, 10, 15 minutes maybe. Some of the previously mentioned bedroom communities have real traffic problems too, especially during rush hour when the few routes in town are virtually clogged. Plus $$$$$!
Seriously, not everyone who works in Farmington can live in Farmington. There's a huge medical facility there. It's folly to think that everyone could.
Bristol is a vibrant city and Southington is a wholesome larger town, both just a stone's throw away.
I'll agree to disagree in considering Bristol a "vibrant" city.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
I'll agree to disagree in considering Bristol a "vibrant" city.
Care to elaborate on that?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Bristol is a vibrant city
You have got to be kidding!!! Except for ESPN and Lake Compounce Amusement Park, what is "vibrant" about Bristol. It is a small city that was bypassed by major highways making it difficult to get to. There are portions of Bristol that are questionable in character and the schools are okay at best. Sorry to disagree with you, but there are more interesting and convenient places to live than Bristol.

I would start looking in West Hartford and Farmington. If you can't find anything there, then spread your search area to include Newington, New Britain (be careful where though), Hartford (ditto) and Plainville. Good luck, Jay

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
The city of Bristol has a very strong economic base, with lots of retail like Southington, and even more manufacturing in their industrial park than any of the other area towns. It's population is IMO, much more middle class than many other Central CT cities, and even though it's mostly blue collar, because it's more spread out and less dense than West Hartford, many of it's residential neighborhoods are safer and cleaner. From it's border with Farmington/Plainvile, stretching to the Chippany/Burlington side, all of the way to Terryville, Bristol has a lot to offer.
I think the economic vibrancy of the city is very underestimated. There are many jobs and big box stores there, Route 72 will be extended in a few years, and there's still plenty of land for growth there. The Plainvile industrial park is almost like an extension of Bristol.
I think that I'd rather live there on the steps of Litchfield County than deal with some of the chaos of parts of West Hartford, which it shares a border with Hartford. Some parts of Bristol are nearly rural. I've deer hunted just over the border in Burlington, and Sessions Woods (DEP Education Center) wasn't very far away. I've seen some beautiful new houses & developments and nice schools in Bristol. It's common to think that the older central core characterizes a whole city. I'm sorry, but there are attributes & parts of West Hartford that can turn people off too and rarely are those mentioned. And West Hartford streets are often overfilled with traffic due to it's wall to wall housing density, which is only going to get worse with Blue Back Square. On the other hand, Bristol will get better, and Southington is right next door with even more retail. I think that Bristol has a nice hospital facility too. So it does have many assets and real estate possibilities to it's credit IMO.

Last edited by sun; 06-07-2007 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Thank you all for your honest and informative opinions!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times
Okay, I LIVE in W.H. and I think it takes a certain type to live here. I think it's a bit small townish and alittle too rural for me. It's hugely overpriced and property taxes are through the roof. Not to mention the car tax. The public schools are are mediocre--I put mine in private after one year in public. So, it's all very relative on who likes this type of town. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Long Island. I did go to school at NYU, so I love the city feel and would love to go back. I never made it to the N.Y. burbs.

On the positive side, this area is a sidewalk community. I can walk to the supermarkets, coffee shop, etc. The "center" of W.H. will soon be a very congested area with the espansion of the center, so if you want to live there, you should know that traffic will increase alot. There are many areas within close distance to the center to consider living. Townhouses and apartments are still expensive here, btw. For tax purposes, you might be better off buying a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut