Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Okay, I LIVE in W.H. and I think it takes a certain type to live here. I think it's a bit small townish and alittle too rural for me. It's hugely overpriced and property taxes are through the roof. Not to mention the car tax. The public schools are are mediocre--I put mine in private after one year in public. So, it's all very relative on who likes this type of town. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Long Island. I did go to school at NYU, so I love the city feel and would love to go back. I never made it to the N.Y. burbs.

On the positive side, this area is a sidewalk community. I can walk to the supermarkets, coffee shop, etc. The "center" of W.H. will soon be a very congested area with the espansion of the center, so if you want to live there, you should know that traffic will increase alot. There are many areas within close distance to the center to consider living. Townhouses and apartments are still expensive here, btw. For tax purposes, you might be better off buying a house.
I never thought of West Hartford being 'small townish' or 'rural' it is in fact for the most part an older Suburb with an very upscale urban feel to it.

I also have never heard the Public school system as 'mediocre'- The school system is from what I have read and heard is praised and highly thought of.

I also never thought the center of West Hartford to be 'congested' It strikes me as a very balanced area- and Blueback Square will certainly add to the towns tax base. Also adding more shops, arts venues, housing and sophistication.

Housing be it a town house, condo or home will require you to pay taxes- like anyplace- if you own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,387 times
If you have kids, you can't go wrong in the Farmington Valley. I lived in Simsbury for 5 years. It is a quaint little town with a great school system. Avon is a little more upscale and not quite as rural. Schools are excellent there also. Canton is more artsy and offbeat. I'm not sure if the schools are quite as good but it's a cool town with ski slopes nearby (I forget the name). Farmington is great also, but it does have some areas that aren't quite as nice or picturesque. Good Luck on your move!

Old 06-09-2007, 05:54 AM

85 posts, read 287,488 times
Songgirl- Thanks, we don't have kids yet but are planning on it. Thanks for all the school info.

We are hoping to rent for a few months and then end up permanently near Farmington as that is where the permanent job is. When I say "near" I mean around a 30+ commute or less. Both WH and Farmington sound great.

We are coming up next weekend to make are plans and look at a few places and then its just a matter of weeks before we are actually moving to Connecticut. Wow it still sounds crazy when I say that... Thanks!!!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,647 times
Default West Hartford

Seriously, why do you feel the need to contradict posters? I'm offering first hand information, and yet you tout your, "I heard, I've always read" comments as if you're the authority.

If you have never had a child in this school system, I think you ought to refrain from commenting.

Yeah, right. Our tax base is basically supported by property taxes, which are in the process of being increased--yet again.

You wrote, "Housing be it a town house, condo or home will require you to pay taxes- like anyplace- if you own it." Big fat, duh. To the outsider, they may be interested in knowing how expensive it is to live here. Alittle too much time on your hands????

Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Skatergirl - I do not know what you expect from a school system, but the schools in West Hartford are considered excellent. If you look at test scores and socio-economic information, you will find the schools in West Hartford do very well. I would be interested to hear what private school you enrolled your children in that offers a superior education. Not everone can afford to send their kids to Kingswood-Oxford, Miss Porters or one of the extremely expensive private schools in the area. And don't try to tell me that the parochial schools offer a better education, because they definitely do not. Jay

Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 19,909 times
Depending on where in Farmington he will work, you could have a commute as little as 5 - 10 minutes (IE: UCONN Medical Center). There are beautiful townhouses right there. There are also many condos that you can find for rent privately. Start with some CT papers, like the Hartford courant (courant.com for online listings).

Do you prefer something more like LI? If so, then I agree, West Hartford (I spent much of my childhood there) will be perfect. If you want a little more rural atmosphere, try Avon. The commute is still very short and no highway.

Also, your husband should talk to the people at the new job, they will certainly help you acclimate!

Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
Well if you're just going to rent at first I would recommend Farmington and any of the surrounding towns of Farmington (Plainville, Southington, Berlin, West Hartford, Bristol, Avon.. All these towns are decent areas to start off and have lots of amenities locally, look for a nice place in a good area with a rent you can afford.

If looking for a house, it depends on what you're looking for.. West Hartford has many older homes on small lots with prices a bit higher, very busy in the commercial areas. Plainville has lots of smaller home lots but also newer neighborhoods, prices a lot cheaper and is also a safe community and has a population of about 17,000. Berlin, Southington and Farmington are very similar for demographics and schools. Most homes have atleast 1/2 acre to 1+ acres. Berlin being the smallest in pop. (18,000) Farmington in the middle (25,000) and Southington with about 40,000. Homes in these towns are more on the expensive side. Maybe starting at about $250,000 for a small cape to an average price of around $450,000 for a some what newer colonial

My preference would be Berlin, Farmington, or Southington (if buying a house)..They're nice towns, a bit expensive but affordable and have many nice neighborhoods and also good highway access. They're a bit more on the quieter side than Bristol or West Hartford, and have lower crime rates. Schools are still rated tops, with lots of shopping in each town.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 AM

94 posts, read 419,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I never thought of West Hartford being 'small townish' or 'rural' it is in fact for the most part an older Suburb with an very upscale urban feel to it.
I agree. I don't think of West Hartford as being rural at all. For the most part, the houses are close together and are on small plots of land. It definitely reminds me of Long Island.

I don't have any personal experience with the schools, but they seem to be well regarded. Many of the nearby towns (Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury) also have excellent schools.

I think West Hartford is a very nice area. The center is a nice place to walk around and grab a bite to eat. There are beautiful parks nearby. West Hartford is one of the places where we're thinking of buying a house. For me, the only real drawbacks seem to be the high taxes and small plots of land.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 PM

85 posts, read 287,488 times
Everyone is so unbelievably helpful. Thank you so much for all the towns and info on each. I really appreciate it.

Although we are only renting for the first year and don't have children yet. It is very important that when we start looking for a home to buy over this next year, that it be in a good school district. So I do thank you for that info also.

Thanks again

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM

47 posts, read 143,689 times
Having lived in New Britain and still have family there, I would not suggest moving there. I have a niece in New Britain High School and she has said that it has gotten really bad there. If you wanted to go to New Britain, then I would say stay on the out skirts of it. You can find some really nice areas, but you will be paying for them as well. My aunt who still lives in New Britain, had her house up for sale and could not sell it, it was not due to the price, but location. There are better places then New Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut