Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,756 times

Advertisements

We just moved from NYC and are currently renting. I work in Cheshire and my partner in New Milford. We are looking to purchase a house, perferable new construction, good school district and mid point for both of us. Our max budget is 400k. Any recommendations to good areas which will be mid point commutte.

Secondly, we have identified a potential house in Prospect. The elementary school is great but the middle and high schools are terrible. This is a deal breaker for my spouse. THoughts anyone. Will these schools improve since the elementary is rated so high.

Will you pick a nicer house over school district. Sorry for a long post, but am really confused on how proceed regarding towns, school district and mid point location. THanks for your help

Confused 123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 02:52 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
In real estate location is everything. I would pick a lesser house in a more desirable town generally. the links below will give you informaiton on schools in Connecticut.

If it were me, I would look in the towns west of Waterbury. Middlebury, Oxford, Southbury and Woodbury come to mind. I don't know what you can get for $400,000 but I am sure you can find something. Maybe even consider heading north of Waterbury a bit to Watertown, thoaston or Plymouth. good luck, Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
I would like to add that the real estate market in Cheshire is a bit slow compared to some of the surrounding towns. Don't be turned off by a property whose price is higher than your upper limit. If you don't mind, what is the MLS # of the property that you found in Prospect?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
I don't think you will be able to afford a new construction home in Cheshire on that budget, unfortunately. But you could afford an already built and lived in home for that price range, something modest.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,094 times
I'm not sure you have the right town...Prospect has a fine highschool! Woodland Regional is shared between Prospect and Beacon Falls, and they've just built it. It's BEAUTIFUL. I've never once heard of Woodland getting negative reviews, and I've met many people who've graduated from there and they are all very intelligent.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,094 times
PS - I'd pick Prospect over Cheshire. Prospect has better access to amenities in Waterbury, and still retains that small-town feel. It's very up-and-coming too! Cheshire is a beautiful town, but a bit overrated in my book. See for yourself!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I think you should look at Southbury. It's along both I-84 so you can get to Cheshire easily, and Rt 67 cuts through town so you can shoot up to New Milford. It is the most centrally located town for your commutes and it has excellent education (Region 15 shared with Middlebury). Beautiful town as well.

Oxford is a very nice town too but is more convenient to southern CT than to New Milford.

Edit to add: If you're not happy with the education in Beacon Falls then I can't imagine you'd be pleased with Thomaston or Plymouth. JMO.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM

55 posts, read 272,019 times
I'd stay away from Thomaston, Watertown or Plymouth. Their schools are not great. Thomaston and Plymouth aren't visually appealing and unless you're within a couple miles of Taft school in Watertown, it's not pretty there either.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,756 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. It has been very helpful.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney72 View Post
I'd stay away from Thomaston, Watertown or Plymouth. Their schools are not great. Thomaston and Plymouth aren't visually appealing and unless you're within a couple miles of Taft school in Watertown, it's not pretty there either.
Thomaston schools perform above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Plymouth and Watertown generally perform around the state averages on these tests with Watertown performing a bit better.

As for visual appeal, both Plymouth and Thomaston have some very nice areas. In fact I think most of these towns are nice. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut