Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM

58 posts, read 282,026 times

Advertisements

Got potential employment opportunities in both places. Which would be a better place to be considering safety, diversity, climate, living expenses, things to go and music scene?

I am a 24/5-year-old male professional looking to relocate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
Depends on which one you actually get offered a job in. If for some reason you get offered a job in both, Ohio will certainly have a lower cost of living and be cheaper for you, as CT is quite expensive.

For things to do I would say CT is better just because you are within driving distance to NYC and Boston for weekend trip etc.

As far as safety, I suppose it depends on what area within the state you are talking about. I'm sure their are safe and unsafe areas in BOTH states...

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
KH02 is correct. According to CNN Money.com, Hartford would be about 24% more expensive to live in than Akron. Only thing is that to have access to a major city like New York, you would have to travel over 350 miles to Chicago. In Hartford you would be within two hours of both New York and Boston. You can't beat that for entertainment. Jay

Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
I assumed that Akron was probably a hell hole, so i checked out the C-D stats page to verify the actual numbers. Hartford of course, is very diverse with a relatively small Caucasian population. Akron, according to C-D's page, is predominately Caucasian but not very safe overall. Safer than Hartford, but in CT it would be very odd to find a community with a population make-up like Akron's with such a high crime rate.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
If you get both jobs, Akron will have a lower cost of living, but I think you have a better chance of both job stability and getting a new job if you lose the old one in Hartford. Albeit, that is based on historical trends and in our crazy economic environment that may be changing (who ever thought that NORTH DAKOTA would be the most economically stable place in America?).

Quality of life-wise, Hartford gives you a nice sized not-too-overwhelming metro with access to big city culture of NYC and Boston as well as easy access to both mountains and seashore, something a little less available in Akron. Either way, good luck!

Stratford, CT resident, regarding your stats, you're automatically assuming the OP is white (not implied in his/her post anywhere) or even cares that much about racial makeup (something less and less people do, especially if they're in the under 30 or so generation). Also, Hartford (like many northeast cities) does not include a lot of suburban areas in it's small city borders so C-D data may not be fully comparable to Akron in that sense.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Stratford, CT resident, regarding your stats, you're automatically assuming the OP is white (not implied in his/her post anywhere) or even cares that much about racial makeup (something less and less people do, especially if they're in the under 30 or so generation).
No 7, i wasn't making an assumption of the OP's race. I was only making an observation regarding my surprise at Akron's crime stats given its population breakdown.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Gotcha, sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut