Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,482 times

Advertisements

my husband, 7 month old and i just relocated to CT from the Phila suburbs. we can live anywhere, (my husband travels throughout the state for his job.) we are currently renting in fairfield.

I am looking for a community of newer homes, young families and a jewish population.

we lived in a beautiful townhouse community where you saw no less then 10 strollers and small children playing on a given day.

someone suggested west hartford...we saw a great new community in the elmwood section. obv. the further north we go (out of fairfield county) the more affordable.

i just want to live in a place where we can meet lifelong friends our age with babies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Price range?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
West Hartford is very nice, esp. near the center.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdceshin View Post
my husband, 7 month old and i just relocated to CT from the Phila suburbs. we can live anywhere, (my husband travels throughout the state for his job.) we are currently renting in fairfield.

I am looking for a community of newer homes, young families and a jewish population.

we lived in a beautiful townhouse community where you saw no less then 10 strollers and small children playing on a given day.

someone suggested west hartford...we saw a great new community in the elmwood section. obv. the further north we go (out of fairfield county) the more affordable.

i just want to live in a place where we can meet lifelong friends our age with babies!
I am curious why you would want to move from Fairfield? Fairfield has all your requirements and some wonderful people along with great schools and amenities.

Neighboring Westport also has many young families with great schools and amenities.

You can find lifelong friends with kids in any town and there is a strong Jewish presence in CT.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Woodbridge, Orange and West Hartford have a larger number of Jewish folks than most towns.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdceshin View Post

That complex you're referring to is Quaker Green. That whole complex is really nice. My GF and I both commented on how before we met that we loved the building and considered looking there...until we saw the pricetag.
WH has a large Jewish population (largest in the state, in fact). The Elmwood section is generally more working class Italian, Irish and Portugese (and Catholic) than the area north of FarmingtonAve, and it's a bit further from synogauges, but I don't see that being an issue unless you plan to walk to temple.
Orange is also very nice but I don't know it nearly as well. A friend of mine from school lives here with his wife and son and its a very good town.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
Southbury might work for you too. Not too far from Fairfield Cty, lots of families, great schools and a decent Jewish presence as well. Check out

B'nai Israel, Southbury, CT - Home

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
West Hartford is similar to Fairfield. It has a large Jewish population and has a lot of families as well. That said, the housing stock is older but usually well maintained. Orange and Woodbridge are also very nice as is Southbury but it is a bit more rural in character. Jay

Old 04-11-2010, 08:21 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
West Hartford, West Hartford, West Hartford. Great JCC, synagogues, community. Buy farther north in town or you will be too far from everything Jewish. Look at modest houses in "The Reservation" and you will find a lot of families with young children, who play outdoors. The richer the neighborhood, the less likely that children come out to play. You're right in the center of the state, near 84. Look in Bugbee, Aiken, Norfeldt, maybe Morley, if you want your kids to have a few Jewish classmates.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,990 times
kjdceshin-
Where did you end up moving??
We are renting in Trumbull right now and looking for the exact same thing you were 2 years ago. "I am looking for a community of newer homes, young families and a jewish population."

I work in NYC so FFC would be best choice for us.

Looking for advice!!
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut