Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,957 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for advice on areas to live within 15-20 miles of the New Haven Area. I'd love to know if there are any towns with walkable downtown areas with sit down restaurants etc (not fast food). Ideally, i'd love to find a New Haven area town that has an area similar to West Hartford Center. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 AM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Similar to WH center I'd suggest Middletown. It's a very nice downtown with some good restaurants. On a smaller scale and along the coast you might like Branford. The downtown is very quaint with shops and restaurants. It's also very walkable from the surrounding neighborhoods.

Milford, too, has a nice New England downtown. It's much busier than Branford and Middletown however.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,957 times
Thank you for your advice. Could you give me an idea of where the Branford town center is located?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 AM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrite View Post
Thank you for your advice. Could you give me an idea of where the Branford town center is located?
Between Rt 1 and Long Island Sound. If you get off exit 54 on I-95 N, take a right. Go straight through the first light (crossing Rt 1), continue until you can't go anymore. The Branford Library will be on your left and some old historic homes on your right. Take a left, and this is Main Street which will take you into the town center. If you want to tour Branford a bit, take a right onto Montowese from Main St. and keep following that (turns into Sybil Ave eventually but just follow signs for Rt 146) - it will take you through Indian River, Stony Creek and Pine Orchard (hamlets of Branford) and once you get to the water you can see some of the Thimble Islands on your right. Very beautiful ride.

It's smaller than West Hartford or Middletown but IMO it is more charming.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-21-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
There are not a lot of towns like West Hartford in Connecticut. Greenwich, New Canaan, Fairfield and Westport come to mind but there are not any in New Haven County really. You might check out Guilford. It has a charming town green area with some stores and restaurants. Milford also has a nice small downtown area. And I also agree that Branford's downtown is nice. Jay

Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 PM

257 posts, read 609,985 times
I think the above posts are good suggestions. I could help more if you post what kinda of lot/home you are looking for and if you want to be closer to city (still within 20 miles of New Haven) or in a more rural area.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 PM

23 posts, read 68,417 times
I'd personally say to just move into New Haven itself! I live here, and it's pretty great - decent mass transit (fits my qualifications just fine!!), nightlife, many great restaurants, nice downtown... and there are many ranges of housing from slum, affordable, middle-class, to upper-class!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:38 AM

108 posts, read 270,569 times
NHWise, what part of NH do you live in? I recently moved here and I think that we may have been lied to a bit :-( I don't think this is a very good area after all! I would love to know the "good" areas...where to shop for groceries, go to the gym, etc. All I know is.....I don't want to be in my area after dark without my husband in tow!

On a good note...I haven't heard any gun shots yet!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
NHWise, what part of NH do you live in? I recently moved here and I think that we may have been lied to a bit :-( I don't think this is a very good area after all!
I remember your thread asking about New Haven, you did get a lot of mixed responses. I'm not sure I'd describe those touting NH as "liars", as some people like urban life. You did have several posters warning you about New Haven in advance, myself included. As mentioned on that thread, there are many nice suburbs of New Haven that might have better suited you. Maybe when your current lease is up, you could consider a more local move to a nearby suburb, instead of leaving the state entirely as you mentioned you might do on another recent thread.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,092 times
I just came from visiting the New Haven and Mystic/Niantic area. I was very disappointed with New Haven because it seems one area is all ghetto and run down and the other was just your basic college type area with some restaurants and a few shops. We drove and drove around and didn't really find it all that interesting. If you were near Mystic/ Niantic I thought those two towns were great. A nice feel and by the bay and more laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut