Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 15,089 times

Advertisements

My husband just started a job in Purchase so we are relocating to the Ct. area. I stay at home and we have 2 small children (one starting school next year and a toddler). We'd like to stay below $500K for a home. We have looked at New Fairfield, New Milford, Bethel, Brookfield, Newtown and Southbury. All of the towns are wonderful.

Can anyone comment on the commute from Southbury (specifically the Traditions neighborhood) to Purchase?

We were discouraged from considering Trumbull because of the commute. Any comments on that one?

The towns along 95 are out due to price as is Ridgefield. We prefer the smaller towns as opposed to the Metropolitan areas like Danbury. Is there anywhere else that we should consider that has a shorter commute to Purchase than the above towns while still being very family friendly?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,764,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1225 View Post

The towns along 95 are out due to price as is Ridgefield. We prefer the smaller towns as opposed to the Metropolitan areas like Danbury. Is there anywhere else that we should consider that has a shorter commute to Purchase than the above towns while still being very family friendly?

Thanks in advance for the help!
It isn't a small town, but Fairfield is family friendly with well regarded schools. You should be able to find houses in your budget in a neighborhood like Stratfield, which some people describe as being quaint with a "small" feel to it. I would be reluctant to go further than Fairfield in light of the commute being off the mass transit grid.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 AM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
As someone who commutes from roughly the Purchase area to Trumbull and Bridgeport I can tell you it's doable, certainly more so than from Southbury. Of course I'm going in the opposite direction and generally work from 7-3 so I have decent traffic conditions. Takes me about 40-45 minutes.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 AM

34,650 posts, read 56,427,911 times
The problem with commuting to Purchase from Fairfield or Trumbull is that you are fighting traffic going into Stamford. Not fun IMHO. Though only about 30 miles your husbands commute could easily be an hour or more.

Southbury is a very nice community but it is about 50 miles from Purchase which is about an hour without traffic. I know there are traffic issues through Danbury on I-84 but am not sure how bad I-684 get gets. New Fairfield and Brookfield are a bit closer and would cut a little off the commute. I would be looking there to minimize his commute time. Jay

Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM

2,620 posts, read 7,390,012 times
There are many newer homes up in New Milford if you are willing to stretch your commute.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem with commuting to Purchase from Fairfield or Trumbull is that you are fighting traffic going into Stamford. Not fun IMHO. Though only about 30 miles your husbands commute could easily be an hour or more.

Southbury is a very nice community but it is about 50 miles from Purchase which is about an hour without traffic. I know there are traffic issues through Danbury on I-84 but am not sure how bad I-684 get gets. New Fairfield and Brookfield are a bit closer and would cut a little off the commute. I would be looking there to minimize his commute time. Jay
684 is not bad at all but 84 in Danbury is. Also if you have to go on the Hutchinson Parkway at all (depends on what part of Purchase and albeit it will be brief) you will have significant traffic on there.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM

34,650 posts, read 56,427,911 times
I think if you live on the west side of New Fairfield you can avoid I-84 by cutting through into New York. Other people here have mentioned this on other threads and as noted I-684 is not bad until you get down near the Hutch. Jay

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,728,798 times
There is a slight bottleneck in southern Patterson (near the Mt. Ebo Industrial Park) through Brewster until I-684.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM

92 posts, read 202,006 times
If you live anywhere in New Fairfield, you'll completely avoid I-84, which is a blessing! . Jay is right, living on the west side of New Fairfield puts you closer to Milltown Road, the county road which connects New Fairfield to Route 22 in Brewster (and the Milltown Road/Rte. 22 intersection is signficantly south of the Mt. Ebo Industrial Park bottleneck mentiontioned above, so you don't need really need to worry about that). About 1.5 miles after turning onto Rte 22 South, I684 begins. I live on the west side of New Fairfield, and it takes me 10 minutes to get to 684 and 35 minutes to Armonk. if there are no accidents on 684, it is a very fast moving highway until of course you hit the Hutch.
Considering the traffic conditions on 84 through Danbury, I think the commute from Southbury would be about 20 minutes longer each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut