Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys.. Haven't been active in the CT forum for a while... Been making my head explode in the politics forum...

In any case, I wanted to post about my new move. I am moving from Black Rock in Bridgeport to Vernon. This is not an "I hate Bridgeport" screed. I have enjoyed living in Black Rock and being back home in Connecticut. It's a nice community and I'd recommend it to most people.

However, the reason I am moving is convenience. I have eaten way to many of my off hours traveling back and forth to the New York airports. As a weekly traveler, (and being cheap) the train ride + subway and/or cab and/or airTrain ride to La Guardia and JFK is killing me. I refuse to pay the $18/ day parking at either airport, so I am forced to take public transportation.

It occurred to me a few weeks ago that I was leaving my house at 11:30 AM for a 5 PM flight to Orlando out of JFK. If I lived upstate and traveled out of Bradley, I would haven't had to leave my house until about 3:15. That four hours is precious when you're only home 1.5 to two days a week.

As a bonus, I found a nice little condo for $250 a month less than I had been paying in Black Rock.

Am I happy in Connecticut over my previous residence in Texas? You bet!

I am looking forward to my continued adventure here in Connecticut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,357 times
Hey there. I just moved from Fairfield County CT TO Dallas Texas...been here six months and still trying to get use to things. I was in CT for 30 years. Are you from Texas? What do you like best about CT?Is there anything you miss about Texas??? I miss the trees and windy roads and the older homes...and the water. And NYC!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Mlassoff - Welcome to greater Hartford. I am sure you will like it here. The only thing that may be a problem is that flights out of Bradley are limited and they are usually more expensive, I am sure that you checked into that and are comfortable with it. Again good luck on your move. Jay

Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
Sounds great. You will love dealing with Bradley instead of the NYC airports.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM

90 posts, read 299,736 times
You can travel from Bridgeport to Hartford instead of NYC. Its closer isn't it? My S/O travels to Chicago once a month from Monday to Friday and we would rather pay the 80 dollars than deal with the trains subways and airtrains. It is so stressful!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
@dallasmoved: I am a Connecticut native and lived in Austin for 15 years. It's an okay city. Doesn't live up to its reputation at all. Texas would be a great place, if it wasn't full of Texans. Not a fan of the food, landscape, politics, educational system, religious evangelicalism, heat, culture, and weekend travel options in Texas. Come back home. You'll be glad you did.

@Jay: The fares haven't been that much different in my research. Hartford is slightly more expensive and does have less service, but spending more time at home is worth the extra bucks. Plus Hartford seems to be adding service. LAX by Delta coming, as well as DEN from SWA which will give me numerous connections. And yes, I think I will like the Hartford area.

@Blog: Probably true, however, I can make it even more convenient by moving upstate. Additionally, my brother is in that area and it gives me additional time with my adorable niece and nephew.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Enjoy

I'm excited about returning myself... good rentals are being scooped up faster than I can get up to look but I won't give up I have a great agent this time around.

I always liked Bradley Int'l... the terminal I'm always flying in/out of could use some remodeling, (I think this is in progress???) but the airport's location is super convenient.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Though I've done far less C-D foruming too lately, been wondering about you mlassoff. Glad it's all OK (I long gave up on the Politics Forum......way too much "flaming" and a new thread can sometimes have 10 or 20 pages of responses to go through in just an hour).

As I mentioned before, my temporary digs when I was up in the Hartford area last summer were on the Vernon/Manchester border and I got to explore Vernon a lot. It's a nice place and I hope you enjoy it. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Hey Guys.. Haven't been active in the CT forum for a while... Been making my head explode in the politics forum...

In any case, I wanted to post about my new move. I am moving from Black Rock in Bridgeport to Vernon. This is not an "I hate Bridgeport" screed. I have enjoyed living in Black Rock and being back home in Connecticut. It's a nice community and I'd recommend it to most people.

However, the reason I am moving is convenience. I have eaten way to many of my off hours traveling back and forth to the New York airports. As a weekly traveler, (and being cheap) the train ride + subway and/or cab and/or airTrain ride to La Guardia and JFK is killing me. I refuse to pay the $18/ day parking at either airport, so I am forced to take public transportation.

It occurred to me a few weeks ago that I was leaving my house at 11:30 AM for a 5 PM flight to Orlando out of JFK. If I lived upstate and traveled out of Bradley, I would haven't had to leave my house until about 3:15. That four hours is precious when you're only home 1.5 to two days a week.

As a bonus, I found a nice little condo for $250 a month less than I had been paying in Black Rock.

Am I happy in Connecticut over my previous residence in Texas? You bet!

Hiya neighbor. Maybe we can meet up at Reins and "nosh" a bit.

Sounds like a smart move to me, I think you will like it up here. I'm converted. But, you are required to do one thing once out of the FFC pace of life. Stop. Count to 10, take a deep breath - in through your nose, out through your toes and knock it back about 3 steps.

Keep in mind too, that if Bradley doesn't have the option for you, Logan IMHO is very easy to get in and out of with the new infrastructure and about 1:15 away. I love flying out of Bradley but sometimes there is a flight or deal out of Boston that makes it worth it. Logan, again, IMHO is nothing like flying out of NYC.

As for the forum thing...me too. Frankly I've been so busy putting my own house back together I have not had much time to do anything. My "move" has been postponed or outright cancelled at this point. I'm going to update/revive my old thread when I can. Lots of things culminated that took away the "worth" in moving away.

Anyhow, welcome to Hartford.

P.S. I don't know how but I ended up on your mailing list for your business. I was like "wait, how many M*** Lassoff's can there be in the same field?" lol

Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Quote:
My "move" has been postponed or outright cancelled at this point. I'm going to update/revive my old thread when I can. Lots of things culminated that took away the "worth" in moving away.
Please post about this when you get a chance. For some reason, I'm very interested in what changed your mind.
anytime I'm complaining about CT in some way, a visit to my parents in TN changes my mind really fast,lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut