Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM

193 posts, read 372,589 times

Advertisements

I don't see that you provided specifics as to whether you were looking to rent or own and what your budget is (either now or what you expect it will be later). In any case, I live grew up in Bloomfield and currently live in Simsbury. Simsbury is a very nice town that is considered by many to be expensive. I do believe that their property taxes are too high, but if you're looking to buy a house, there are good number of homes in the low-to-mid $200k's now, and at that price range the property taxes shouldn't be too awful (we moved to PA a few years back, lived there for a couple of years, then moved back to Simsbury, and I wish there were more $300k (and less) homes available at the time).

Simsbury is an extremely safe town, with schools that are considered to be excellent. You won't find much racial diversity here, but I haven't enountered many people who come across as snobby. Rather, many of the people I meet seem pretty "normal". The town is quiet and has a very small-town feel, and yet it's less than 30 minutes to get to downtown Hartford (all side roads - no highway). The Hartford has an office in Simsbury, and you've also got insurance companies' offices in Windsor and Bloomfield (e.g., CIGNA), which is an even shorter commute than Hartford.

Similarly, I would add Granby to the list. You may get a little more house for the same money and have a little lower taxes, but the commute times to Hartford/Bloomfield/Windsor should be similar to Simsbury's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:46 AM

4 posts, read 9,265 times
Well, since my income is very limited I certainly won't be buying. I'm barely in the position to rent. However, I NEED a new start. There was previous mention of temporary housing. Can anyone offer additional information?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
you might be able to work out a deal with a Homewood Suites or a Marriott extended stay. The Homewood Suites on Farmington Ave, by the UConn health center, is very nice, includes breakfast 7 d/wk, and dinner (basic) weeknights, might be able to get it for as little as 79/night. It would be a place to land while you look for an apt. However, I'd be worried about finding a job. You could get stranded.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Dont avoid windsor. The poquonock sections schools are good and it's a great town. Not sure why another poster said to avoid Windsor, I've never heard of such a thing...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM

43 posts, read 78,247 times
Make sure you do lots of research and consider all of your options before relocating to CT. CT is a very difficult state to make it in if your finances are not at a certain place. I'm a single woman with no kids, a professional with a graduate degree and I'm barely making ends meet. I would not be able to afford to raise children in CT, and I don't know how others are doing it. But you should keep this in mind. Hartford itself is no place to start over if you will be living in the city and sending your kids to public school there. The suburbs are generally pricier.

Last edited by Pammsw; 05-26-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM

497 posts, read 507,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
you might be able to work out a deal with a Homewood Suites or a Marriott extended stay. The Homewood Suites on Farmington Ave, by the UConn health center, is very nice, includes breakfast 7 d/wk, and dinner (basic) weeknights, might be able to get it for as little as 79/night. It would be a place to land while you look for an apt. However, I'd be worried about finding a job. You could get stranded.
You got to be kidding $2,370 a month to stay at the Homewood suites for a month now that's cheap!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 PM

112 posts, read 243,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammsw View Post
Make sure you do lots of research and consider all of your options before relocating to CT. CT is a very difficult state to make it in if your finances are not at a certain place. I'm a single woman with no kids, a professional with a graduate degree and I'm barely making ends meet. I would not be able to afford to raise children in CT, and I don't know how others are doing it. But you should keep this in mind. Hartford itself is no place to start over if you will be living in the city and sending your kids to public school there. The suburbs are generally pricier.
I agree with the poster above.

Also, if you are moving from Upstate NY you may be in for a real shock when you see the rent prices here compared to up there. Temporary housing isn't the best for children, and if it comes down to it...in a custody battle won't look too good....but that's another issue all together. As for the insurance companies in CT...most of them are laying off (have been for years), are sometimes hard to get into (unless you know someone) and some start mid to low $30k depending on what area of insurance you are in (and that is with an advanced college degree). Being a single parent with a limited income, no job and two children I personally and honestly would not move to CT. I know people who work in insurance (as I'm sure almost everyone in CT does), who have a two household income and are struggling. In CT the cost of living is high and having a college degree here is like having a GED or HS diploma in other states when it comes to finding a job.

You seem in a rush to get out of NY and I'm not going to pry, but if it's domestic related...there are sources you can turn to for help and temp housing options. Also a lot of those programs help women find jobs and help with court/custody issues as well.

If you are just looking for a fresh start and have your heart set on CT then do as much research as you can. Look on the internet at apartment listings. Don't do something spur of the moment and jump into a situation you cant afford.

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
"Avoid" Bloomfield, Windsor and Manchester? Really?

Yet Newington is "good"? Watch this video below.

YouTube - Trouble In Suburbia: Newington, Connecticut

I think you are doing the very thing that many people do in our state. Blindly paint towns and cities with a red light and green light.

I would challenge you to take a look at Highland Park Elementary in Manchester for an example.

Highland Park Elementary School - Manchester, CT 06040
Nice post, too bad it won't let me rep you again

As for the OP, while towns in the Hartford area are much cheaper than close to or in NYC, they are closer to the NYC prices than they are to most of upstate NY. I think you're going to be shocked.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Ugh, sorry for my typos. I meant to say Meriden schools are really bad.
I had Thankgiving dinner with a young man who graduated from Platt and then graduated from Harvard. I guess they're really bad.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
You got to be kidding $2,370 a month to stay at the Homewood suites for a month now that's cheap!!!!!!
I know some nice places on the Berlin Turnpike that'll charge you less than half of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut