Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchelmow View Post
It's the going from north to south that is MOST difficult for me. San Diego in a heartbeat. Richmond has its charm but .....

I lost track of this thread...but I can't imagine ever moving away from CT.
For me, it's a great place to live and I would be heartbroken if I had to leave.

NOTHING beats the people and beauty here and I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchelmow View Post
It's the going from north to south that is MOST difficult for me. San Diego in a heartbeat. Richmond has its charm but .....
I can understand your concern but I would have more of a problem moving to San Diego than moving to Richmond. Richmond is more of a traditional old hiostoric city which is what I like about Connecticut. San Diego is sprawl and other than the weather has little appeal ot me. Sur eit would be great to live there near the water but it would be even greater IMHO to live in Connecticut near the water. Jay

Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I lost track of this thread...but I can't imagine ever moving away from CT.
For me, it's a great place to live and I would be heartbroken if I had to leave.

NOTHING beats the people and beauty here and I can't imagine living anywhere else.
My sentiments exactly!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:28 PM

108 posts, read 270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
My sentiments exactly!
So where are you guys living? I don't mind Connecticut, but living in New Haven doesn't exactly scream "beauty" and the drivers are not exactly the most friendly.

I'm curious as to where to really nice areas are so I can check em out and maybe move that way after my year lease is up!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
So where are you guys living? I don't mind Connecticut, but living in New Haven doesn't exactly scream "beauty" and the drivers are not exactly the most friendly.

I'm curious as to where to really nice areas are so I can check em out and maybe move that way after my year lease is up!
The Litchfield Hills (Litchfield, Roxbury, Washington Depot)
Eastern CT Shore (Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Old Saybrook, Mystic, Essex, Chester)
Fairfield County (New Canaan, Ridgefield, Weston, Redding, Easton)

IMO, from East Haven to Bridgeport is one of the ugliest stretches in the state (though immediate downtown Milford is nice). Also, driver's aren't friendly anywhere in CT. It's always a competition on the roads here.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The Litchfield Hills (Litchfield, Roxbury, Washington Depot)
Eastern CT Shore (Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Old Saybrook, Mystic, Essex, Chester)
Fairfield County (New Canaan, Ridgefield, Weston, Redding, Easton)

IMO, from East Haven to Bridgeport is one of the ugliest stretches in the state (though immediate downtown Milford is nice). Also, driver's aren't friendly anywhere in CT. It's always a competition on the roads here.
I agree with everything in this post except the bolded. While it doesn't have the affluence of Fairfield County, the Savin Rock beach section of West Haven is very nice, the Lordship section of Stratford is adorable, the Oronoque section is nice, as well. St. Mary's By The Sea is a section of Bridgeport that you would never know you were in Bridgeport, very picturesque.

I think the entire state west of route 8 is gorgeous. All the towns listed above plus Bethel, Newtown, New Fairfield, Woodbury, Middlebury, Southbury, Sherman, New Milford, Washington, Kent, New Hartford, Goshen, New Preston and Cornwall. I also love Oxford, Durham, Essex, and the shoreline towns from Guilford to Stonington.

In Fairfield County, you've also have Greenwich, Westport, Darien, Rowaytown, Southport and Greenfield Hills in Fairfield.

Bad drivers are everywhere and CT doesn't hold the monopoly on them.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I agree with everything in this post except the bolded. While it doesn't have the affluence of Fairfield County, the Savin Rock beach section of West Haven is very nice, the Lordship section of Stratford is adorable, the Oronoque section is nice, as well. St. Mary's By The Sea is a section of Bridgeport that you would never know you were in Bridgeport, very picturesque.

I think the entire state west of route 8 is gorgeous. All the towns listed above plus Bethel, Newtown, New Fairfield, Woodbury, Middlebury, Southbury, Sherman, New Milford, Washington, Kent, New Hartford, Goshen, New Preston and Cornwall. I also love Oxford, Durham, Essex, and the shoreline towns from Guilford to Stonington.

In Fairfield County, you've also have Greenwich, Westport, Darien, Rowaytown, Southport and Greenfield Hills in Fairfield.

Bad drivers are everywhere and CT doesn't hold the monopoly on them.
I agree that there are some very nice neighborhoods between New Haven and Bridgeport, but there are also many rundown areas. On 95 and RT 1 it's just not very visually appealing. There is actually one large section of Derby that is incredibly beautiful where you'd never know you were in Derby (the hills above RT 34).

Your addition of towns is great - I have been to most and love them all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrs Carly - if you want to go on a picturesque drive through western CT, take the following route from NH:

RT 34 west past Yale Bowl. Follow through downtown Derby (not very pretty) but 34 will eventually snake along the Housatonic River. Take a right onto RT 188 in Seymour, follow to the traffic circle and once you get to the circle, take a left to stay on 188. This takes you into the Quaker Farms and Southford sections of Oxford. Follow 188 to the end (just before you get to the end, stop at Southford Falls State Park and take in the beauty of the falls. You can also walk down the hill and see one of the oldest covered bridges in the country). Take a right out of the park to continue onto 188, and then you will take a left onto RT 67 toward Southbury. Follow 67 North all the way to New Milford (at one point in Southbury, you have to take a left to stay on 67). You'll go through Woodbury, Roxbury, Bridgewater and you will end near downtown New Milford where you can stroll the town green. At the very end of 67, you'll intersect with Rt 7. Take a right onto Rt 7 and that will take you up toward Gaylordsville, Kent and Cornwall. Be sure to stop at Kent Falls as well.

Anyway sorry for the long post, but that's an incredible ride. It's amazing how the suburbanite, hustle and bustle of southern CT becomes non-existent about halfway through the ride.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:

I'm in upper Fairfield County. I have to admit I'm not really a fan of the towns and cities along the i-95 corridor, too much traffic and development for my taste. I'm more of a nature person. I wasn't born in Ct., and even after nearly 30 years here I still feel stifled by so many people living in such close proximity in FFC, I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

If you'd like to check out a beach for a nature walk without all the typical crowds, try the Milford Audubon Society in Milford. It's a rocky beach, not for sun-bathing, but very pretty and peaceful for a walk and tour of the Audobon museum.

Connecticut Audubon Society (http://www.ctaudubon.org/visit/milford.htm - broken link)

And I agree about New Haven drivers, I personally think they are among the worst in the state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Mrs Carly - if you want to go on a picturesque drive through western CT, take the following route from NH:

RT 34 west past Yale Bowl. Follow through downtown Derby (not very pretty) but 34 will eventually snake along the Housatonic River. Take a right onto RT 188 in Seymour, follow to the traffic circle and once you get to the circle, take a left to stay on 188. This takes you into the Quaker Farms and Southford sections of Oxford. Follow 188 to the end (just before you get to the end, stop at Southford Falls State Park and take in the beauty of the falls. You can also walk down the hill and see one of the oldest covered bridges in the country). Take a right out of the park to continue onto 188, and then you will take a left onto RT 67 toward Southbury. Follow 67 North all the way to New Milford (at one point in Southbury, you have to take a left to stay on 67). You'll go through Woodbury, Roxbury, Bridgewater and you will end near downtown New Milford where you can stroll the town green. At the very end of 67, you'll intersect with Rt 7. Take a right onto Rt 7 and that will take you up toward Gaylordsville, Kent and Cornwall. Be sure to stop at Kent Falls as well.

Anyway sorry for the long post, but that's an incredible ride. It's amazing how the suburbanite, hustle and bustle of southern CT becomes non-existent about halfway through the ride.
Great advice! Litchfield County is my favorite area of Ct. Also, driving up Rt. 8 beyond Waterbury will take you into some scenic towns as well. And definitely check out Kent Falls, Mrs. Carly. It's very beautiful there, with a nearby covered bridge. Check out the stickied thread here about places to visit. I would also suggest you get a free Ct. tourist guide which lists places to visit by county throughout Ct. It's an invaluable source of information:

Visit Connecticut! The Official Connecticut State Vacation Guide

Old 05-06-2010, 06:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:

I grew up outside of Hartford, spent about 13 years in Glastonbury which to me is about as nice a town as you can get. I remember flying back in to Bradley from LA many years ago and thinking about how much more beautiful it is in CT after seeing the trees and colors everywhere. We used to take plenty of rides along the shoreline and just enjoy the sites and small antique shops too.

Yes, I agree with everyone else, bad drivers are everywhere and I have seen my fair share of very very very bad ones here in NC. After a couple of near death experiences in the RTP area, I grew the eyes in the side and back of my head. But the optional use of turn signals and slow drivers in the left lane here in NC take the cake!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Charlotte is a nice city but what makes it nice are the transplants not the natives.
Do you even realize how arrogant that sounded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut