Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 AM

330 posts, read 1,401,788 times

Advertisements

How does one learn to use the subway system in NYC. I can manage getting to the Metro-North and getting to Grand Central - but what the heck do I do when I get there. I think for my initial trips - I just want to go to Broadway. Now, in my mind, Broadway is like a big shopping center - all the little theatres lined up in a row. But then I hear about off-Broadway, off-off Broadway, etc. Yep - that's me - the completely clueless person who will be wandering around NYC totally LOST!
Is there a NYC for dummies book? Are there (don't laugh) tour guide type services that will take you into the city (by train) and show you how to navigate around?
The only mass transit I've ever used is the Metro in DC - and that was a ....a long time ago when I was in college. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Get a subway map, there are free ones online. Remember "Downtown" is bringing you down towards the financial district area and "Uptown" means the opposite, say towards Harlem. As long as you know if you want to go uptown or downtown it is really easy to navigate.

Edited because my post may be vague. Say you are in Grand Central and want to get to Union Square (14th Street). You, in Grand Central, are in the 40's (for streets) so you want to head downtown to get to 14th. Seriously, as long as you can grasp what is uptown and what is downtown it is really simple. Have fun!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 AM

30 posts, read 200,465 times
Default Getting arounf NYC

You will have to learn a lot from experience.

The first thing you should know is Broadway is an Avenue. Avenues run north and south thought the city streets run east and west.

Broadway runs the entire length of the city so you can't say you want to go to Broadway, you could end up in Wachington Heights or Lower Manhattan. you want the theatre district arouns times square that in between 42nd and about 53rd all over Broadway. The theatres are not all lined up on one street.

There are about 500 books on NYC for dummies just go to a book store or Amazon or Barnes and Noble.com.

I would advise looking at the subway map on the MTZ website: MTA.com and you can get used to where things are.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 AM

Wow - that is some impressive subway map - Yikes!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:03 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Manhatten is a long narrow island with the financial district (Wall Street) at the southern end and Halem at the northern end. In between is midtown. Down in the financial district (which is the oldest part of the city) the streets are all mixed up, go in different directions and have names. Just north of this area starts a gird pattern where the streets and avenues are number. A couple of avenues have names too. Streets go east/west, avenues go north/south. Broadway kind of cut across the island on a diagonal. It was built long before the grid pattern was established.

Grand Central is on 42nd Street at Park Avenue. Times Square is the area you are thinking of when you mention theaters. It is the area around the intersection of 42nd Street, Broadway and 7th Avenue. To get to it, you would go out Grand Central to 42nd Street and turn right (west) and follow it about 5 blocks (the block in this direction are longer than the blocks on avenues running north/south). It is a nice walk because there is so much to see and do along the way. You will pass the New York Public Library which is a stunning building that has very grand steps from 5th Avenue with two imposing lions guarding the place. You will also pass Bryant Park which is a pleasant park behind the library. There are a lot of skyscrapers to look at including the Empire State Building which is down on 34th Street and 5th.

Once you get to Times Square you will not see a lot of theaters. Most are off on the side streets. In between are hundreds of little shops and restaurants and the building where the ball drops (No. 1 Times Square). In recent years a number of chains have set up restaurants on Times Square including ESPN Zone and Hard Rock. And disney has transformed 42nd Street from Times Square to 8th Avenue from one of the toughest bawdiest places to a family oriented entertainment center. Jay

Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
You'll adapt quickly. Just visualize Manhattan as a long, narrow rectangle.

North is uptown. South is downtown. West is the Hudson River. East is the East River.

NYC is a blast to explore on weekends.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 PM

44 posts, read 325,911 times
MTA Home Page

If you are going to the city on the weekend you should check the mta's website for the service advisory. They need to do a lot of maintenance during the weekend so sometimes the train will skip certain stops, usually if this occurs it will only be one side at a time. For example the uptown train will skip the times square but the downtown train will stop there. Go to service advisories, click on nyc transit, then weekend summary.

Also check the bus maps on MTA's website because it shows the train station and street more clearly.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Just to add, maybe stay out of the subways until you start to know your way around. I know Manhatten fairly well and I only use the subway intermitantly. Use buses and cabs for a while. Just a suggestion. Jay

Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 PM

I'm going to stay out of NYC until I get used to CT! HA! Perhaps I will venture into the city to see the holiday sparkle. But I will definitely take it slow. After all - we will most likely be in CT for at least a decade - that should give me plenty of time to explore all the nooks and crannies. (and CUPCAKE BAKERIES)

Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Just get a map and jump on. Uptown is North, downtown is South. Go when it doesn't matter if you get lost or not. It's an easy system to get to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut