Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,288 times

Advertisements

And some cars plunged into the river underneath? I think it was near Stamford. When was that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,182,082 times
The Mianus River Bridge collapse? 1983 Wikipedia says.

~Cheers

Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
That was in Greenwich. I remember it very well, I was living there at the time.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:58 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I remember it well too. It got the State and country to realize the importance of maintaining our highways and bridges. Too bad they keep forgetting. Even the more recent Minnesota collapse seems to have been forgotten. Politicians will never learn. Jay

Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 PM

248 posts, read 721,998 times
I dont know about that.. but I know in 2004 when the oil tanker flamed up and i95 was broken and shut down for a week.

I did live in fairfield then and all the traffic was going in front of my house on the local road.. what a nightmare it was..

Old 04-16-2010, 02:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I remember it well too. It got the State and country to realize the importance of maintaining our highways and bridges. Too bad they keep forgetting. Even the more recent Minnesota collapse seems to have been forgotten. Politicians will never learn. Jay
The Majority of politicians think things are built forever, in-till its too late. Although your current Governor seems to be turning that around. The Northeast Corridor is finally getting upgrading after 70 years of neglect. A new Bridge is planned for I-95 in New Haven. So overall i think CT has it under control.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Majority of politicians think things are built forever, in-till its too late. Although your current Governor seems to be turning that around. The Northeast Corridor is finally getting upgrading after 70 years of neglect. A new Bridge is planned for I-95 in New Haven. So overall i think CT has it under control.
Unfortunately, these are just a few of the projects needed. There are so many more. The problem is that Congress is sitting on a new Federal appropriations bill that would be the next round of projects to be built. They are funding current projects under a continuation of the old bill. We really need an agressive new bill to fund iniatives but they don't want to face that until after the elections in November (typical politics). We probably won't see anything new for at least another year which is frustrating. These types of projects are the ones that create real long-term jobs that help the economy, not the ARRIA garbage which basically funded a lot of repaving work. Jay

Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
I remember the Mianus River Bridge collapse in Greenwich. Between exits 4 and 5 on I-95. IIRC, the date was June 28, 1983. About a year later, I-95 was suddenly closed in Norwalk because an inspector found a problem with the Yankee Doodle Bridge in Norwalk (right near Exit 16).

Politicians never learn though. I hate them all.

I remember the 2004 I-95 closure because some careless dimwit girl cut off a tractor trailer, and he lost control, spun out, caught fire and melted part of the road. Traffic was chaos during that time, and the street at the end of my block was clogged with cars, even though it is by no means a main thoroughfare. People were just taking any road they could find. One of those days, I was home from work for a vacation day and I saw a car pull up and a guy got out and started taking a pee in my neighbor's bushes right at the street. When he saw me, he started apologizing profusely and said he'd been caught in traffic for so long and had no choice. I told him not to worry about it.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
I dont know about that.. but I know in 2004 when the oil tanker flamed up and i95 was broken and shut down for a week.

I did live in fairfield then and all the traffic was going in front of my house on the local road.. what a nightmare it was..
What part of Fairfield did you live in? I live right off Cornell Road near FWHS.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
I recently have started to drive over that bridge several times/week and often when I do, I think about this as I remember it well as it brings back a unique moment shared with my dad (now gone over a decade).

I was in my mid-teens at the time, and my parents ran two convenience stores in southern Westchester County. They also had a "coop" agreement with a friend who had 2 stores in Stamford (who bought out my parents stores when they retired from it in the late 80s). As part of the "coop agreement", each owned a large delivery van and took turns getting goods and delivering them to the others stores (they had each decided that this was cheaper and more efficient than dealing with vendor deliver trucks, etc. though for soda and beer they still had delivery trucks come), for some reason most of the vendors were in Stamford and Norwalk, they started doing this arrangement in the late 70s and my dad rest his soul used to always tell me at that time how during his runs he'd observe how Stamford is "building up like crazy". I had just finished my sophomore year of high school and my dad "recruited" me to go with him during the summer on his "bread and cookie runs".

What I remember is how we sat sometimes for hours on US1 on the first two of these runs after the collapse and how for the rest of the summer we went to different places to pick up some of these goods; like we'd go to Danbury and in one case (for Sunbeam bread) Waterbury when it was "our turn" to get the goods for the Stamford stores. And how we once or twice that summer in desparation to get back from the Stamford stores in time took the van onto the Merritt Parkway and I watched for cops (it had Commercial plates and I imagine an out-of-state plate, even a "neighbor" like NY would be one they want to grab.....though other than making sure you don't stick out by speeding, etc., I'm not sure how you would "hide" from getting caught, LOL!).

Thanks for bringing that one back to C-D and letting me relate, I remember it well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut