Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 PM

18 posts, read 31,807 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We will be moving to CT very soon (From TN), and where we live is dependent on which school my partner attends. Does anyone have any info, personal experience or input on these schools? The programs of interest are Psych/NeuroPsych/Neurobiology. This is a very important decision as quality of living and education go hand in hand. We also would like to be in an area within a decent commute to the university that offers good employment (hospitals/nursing facilities- I'm a nurse, and special needs facilities as she works with autistic and developmentally disabled populations), family oriented neighborhoods with non-extreme apartment and house rentals.
Shopping (malls etc) within twenty minutes or so is fine, we're definitely used to that! We will be bringing a middle schooler and a few animals so these are a big consideration. There won't be a big culture shock for us (she is from Philly), the change is MUCH thought through, needed and desired.The liberal, progressive, and diverse (comparatively speaking) atmosphere offers everything we are longing for.
We do want to make a well informed decision and the CT boards are always so outspoken and informative. We would appreciate honest information as the decision is getting very close!! Our move will be in a couple of months!
Also- any RNs out there who would like to give info on salary and employment that would be a bonus as well .
Thanks in advance!!!!
Mysty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 56,441 times
I have two sisters who are graduates of Southern. I have two nieces who are recent grads as well. One was formerly a student of Central, but she was too homesick and transferred. My 3rd sister started at Western and switched to Southern as well. Unfortunately, (as pertains to your question) all were education majors (we have lots of teachers in the family), but Southern has been good to my family!

There are several hospitals which (I assume) would offer nursing opportunities. Yale and St. Raphael are in New Haven, St. Vincet's & Bridgeport are both in Bridgeport. There are a large number of nursing homes locally as well. An RN shouldn't have any difficulty finding a job in southern Connecticut!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info, she does like Southern, just waiting to hear from them! Hopefully it won't be much longer!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_cera View Post
Hello all,
We will be moving to CT very soon (From TN), and where we live is dependent on which school my partner attends. Does anyone have any info, personal experience or input on these schools? The programs of interest are Psych/NeuroPsych/Neurobiology.
Are you looking for an undergrad or a grad program?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:34 PM

BS/BA will be transferring with AA degree plus an additional 20 credits with a concentration in Psych. Also any input on potential Grad schools after completion of Undergrad program??
Thanks ahead of time!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_cera View Post
BS/BA will be transferring with AA degree plus an additional 20 credits with a concentration in Psych. Also any input on potential Grad schools after completion of Undergrad program??
Thanks ahead of time!
I may be wrong but I think the only 1 of those 3 schools that offer a BS in Psych is Southern.

UCONN is the place for the study of neuroscience. They offer a BS in Psych and a few different graduate programs in that area.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Renovating: Thank you for the information. She was just accepted to Central and is very interested in the Neuroscience program at UCONN. Central is her first choice for now and a possible Graduate education from UCONN in the next year and a half! Are you a UCONN grad?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,912 times
Ccsu = underrated
uconn = overrated (did they just say that on the ct board?!?!)

Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Ccsu = underrated
Umm.. based on what?

UCONN is a university with a national reputation. SCSU, CCSU, etc., are all decent schools, however, they are only know regionally and generally server only a regional population. If UCONN doesn't live up to its reputation I'd like to know how.

I went to the University of Texas, which is a public university with an excellent reputation. Top tier, like University of Virginia. I didn't think it lived up to its reputation either-- until I took two summer classes at SCSU. Then I realized the quality and intensity of UT by comparison.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Ccsu = underrated
I completely agree. UCONN, while an excellent school, is very overrated. The state universities are not given the credit they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Umm.. based on what?

UCONN is a university with a national reputation. SCSU, CCSU, etc., are all decent schools, however, they are only know regionally and generally server only a regional population. If UCONN doesn't live up to its reputation I'd like to know how.
Just because a school is not well-known and only serves a regional population doesn't mean it's any less valuable than a monstrous school like UCONN (mostly known nationwide for NCAA). Also - the vast majority of UCONN students are regional as close to 70% of students are from CT. I'd be willing to guess that most of the other 30% are from MA, NY, RI and NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut