Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times

Advertisements

Did this last year on a Saturday...New Haven to Grand Central, and just took a taxi to the museum. There were 5 of us and we all crammed in; I don't recall the fare being unreasonable (under $20). Was easy to find a taxi on the way back too--from in front of the Shake Shack (excellent ice cream!).

The only advice I would give is to buy museum tickets online or ahead of time if possible--We had to wait in the ticket line for about 40 min in the rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
*MY* opinion is probably worth what you'll pay for it, but I just drive into the city now. The train is just too much of a PITA.

Go down the Merrit, cross country etc to the Henry Hudson (9a - just follow the signs for the G.W. Bridge and it'll take you to 9a. Just don't get on the G.W. ). Go down the Henry H (West side) and get off where you need to be (All street are clearly marked by "exit" signs I.E. W55th etc), find a garage and park. It's super freakin easy and you'll spend about what you would anyway for public transpo for parking and fuel. This way YOU control when you are in and out and you're not chasing a train at Grand Central or having to take several connectors and subways etc.

I do it all the time as we frequent Time Square Church a lot to visit friends and family.

Here is a quick Google Maps for the route:

CT-15 S to Henry Hudson Pkwy/New York 9A S - Google Maps

You can almost close your eyes and get to the West Side using that route.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
*MY* opinion is probably worth what you'll pay for it, but I just drive into the city now. The train is just too much of a PITA.

Go down the Merrit, cross country etc to the Henry Hudson (9a - just follow the signs for the G.W. Bridge and it'll take you to 9a. Just don't get on the G.W. ). Go down the Henry H (West side) and get off where you need to be (All street are clearly marked by "exit" signs I.E. W55th etc), find a garage and park. It's super freakin easy and you'll spend about what you would anyway for public transpo for parking and fuel. This way YOU control when you are in and out and you're not chasing a train at Grand Central or having to take several connectors and subways etc.

I do it all the time as we frequent Time Square Church a lot to visit friends and family.

Here is a quick Google Maps for the route:

CT-15 S to Henry Hudson Pkwy/New York 9A S - Google Maps

You can almost close your eyes and get to the West Side using that route.
This is the route I use. It's not too bad and I believe there is only a toll coming home.

I agree with JV regarding driving over the train. At the time you want to go you'll have to pay peak fares which can get very expensive round trip so you're probably better off just paying 30-40 bucks for the day to park.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
Yes, well my Husband has decided to drive us in and park at the museum. Hopefully the lot isn't full by the time we get there. So thanks for all the suggestions.
JV - I'll pass that driving route along to my husband, we definitely want to avoid 95 at all costs if we can.

We are bringing our birthday boy who will be 6 with us, so....we want it to be as easy and hassle free as possible.

Anyone know when driving straight in from waterbury area to the museum will take with traffic taken into consideration?? 3 hours maybe???

Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Yes, well my Husband has decided to drive us in and park at the museum. Hopefully the lot isn't full by the time we get there. So thanks for all the suggestions.
JV - I'll pass that driving route along to my husband, we definitely want to avoid 95 at all costs if we can.

We are bringing our birthday boy who will be 6 with us, so....we want it to be as easy and hassle free as possible.

Anyone know when driving straight in from waterbury area to the museum will take with traffic taken into consideration?? 3 hours maybe???
3 hours - no way. Probably 2.5 max with traffic, 1:45 without traffic going the speed limit. My suggestion is to go 84 to 684 to the Hutchinson River parkway. That way you won't hit traffic on Route 8, the Merritt/95. You will hit some on 684 when you get down toward exit 2 or 1, but it won't be nearly as bad as 95.

As JV noted, make sure you don't go over the GW. You'll be getting off the last exit before you go over the bridge.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is the route I use. It's not too bad and I believe there is only a toll coming home.

I agree with JV regarding driving over the train. At the time you want to go you'll have to pay peak fares which can get very expensive round trip so you're probably better off just paying 30-40 bucks for the day to park.
Yep, only one toll going over the bridge on the Spuyten creek. Course everytime I go, I swear it goes up 50 cents.

KH02, I just saw that you are going to the MONH. In that case go down the Henry H, get off the 79th street exit (two way) and it basically goes straight into the museum.

It doesn't get any easier! lol

Don't be afraid to park in one of the "lots" nearby and walk if you need too, (Generally an open door and bright white paint. Just pull in and park leave the keys in the ign and wait for the attendant to give you a "ticket".) just be sure to give them an approx time you'll be leaving and be sure to tip the attendant.

Here is a block by block guide to help you out if you need it. Just click on a block and all the info for that block is displayed.

http://www.nysite.com/mergeo2.htm (broken link)

Have fun!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,441 times
Can someone tell me how long bet Bridgeport, Ct to Fordham Rd station in the Bronx and how much for the monthly package of round trips bet these two cities using this particular stop in the Bronx? Tks in advance.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 PM

24 posts, read 31,898 times
Bridgeport to Fordham will be about 1:30-1:40 one way, you'll have to change trains in Stamford because Fordham it's a local stop and so you will make every single stop between Bridgeport and Fordham(There are a few semi-expresses between Bridgeport and Stamford when trains are half-hourly, but you only save 5 stops and 10 minutes). During rush hour there might be some semi-expresses that stop there, but off peak it's locals only. The monthly is $201.25 in the station and $197.23 if you order online. Schedules can be found at http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm, probably a good idea to check for the times which you'll be traveling.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,441 times
Thanks a million. I did not have a clue about this info. I'm considering the possibility of moving to Bridgeport or New Haven and commuting every day to work here in NYC.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella10026 View Post
Thanks a million. I did not have a clue about this info. I'm considering the possibility of moving to Bridgeport or New Haven and commuting every day to work here in NYC.
Maybe you could commute from Bridgeport to NYC but New Haven is kind of far. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut