Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,631 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you know Dwight street in New Haven? I'm moving to the US shortly and I'm looking at renting an apartment there and was wondering about the neighborhood. I've heard some mixed reports and while I don't care if its not an "affluent" area, I do want my family to be able to walk downtown in safety, or as much safety as you can reasonably have in life. I'd really appreciate your opinion if you know the area.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
From what I understand it's a safe area. I know people who have lived there and never had issues. Just remember to never let your guard down and always use common sense when walking, especially at night.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM

3,480 posts, read 9,374,029 times
It is an OK area however you are knocking on the door of a relatively unsafe area right around St. Raphaels Hospital (Orchard St, that area is not good).

Old 04-21-2010, 10:47 AM

220 posts, read 522,475 times
It really does depend on what part of Dwight you're looking at. The section closer to N. Frontage Rd, as mels said, is close to a rough area. The other part of Dwight is better, but heavily populated with students and clears out a little bit in the summer. I'm not always comfortable walking around that area on my own, and I wouldn't walk down there in the evenings.

You'll also want to keep in mind that the section of Whalley Ave. that you would be near has just had three major stores (Rite Aid, Staples, and Shaw's) close within the last four or five months, and foot traffic will probably be down heading away from town. There aren't a lot of crime reports coming out of Whalley right now, but once you move west of Dwight you are moving into a rougher area.

If I were you, I would try to visit the area if possible - only you will know what you and your family are comfortable with. I personally would not choose to live there, but you might.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:24 PM

108 posts, read 269,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
It really does depend on what part of Dwight you're looking at. The section closer to N. Frontage Rd, as mels said, is close to a rough area. The other part of Dwight is better, but heavily populated with students and clears out a little bit in the summer. I'm not always comfortable walking around that area on my own, and I wouldn't walk down there in the evenings.

You'll also want to keep in mind that the section of Whalley Ave. that you would be near has just had three major stores (Rite Aid, Staples, and Shaw's) close within the last four or five months, and foot traffic will probably be down heading away from town. There aren't a lot of crime reports coming out of Whalley right now, but once you move west of Dwight you are moving into a rougher area.

If I were you, I would try to visit the area if possible - only you will know what you and your family are comfortable with. I personally would not choose to live there, but you might.

Whoooooo if you live ANYWHERE near that hospital it is what I would call an "undesirable area". I found that out the hard way. Hmm actually that whole area near Whalley is a not so great area. I guess it is all about perspective though. I've heard people say that my neighborhood is a "wonderful" neighborhood, yet I'm scared to do anything other than run to my vehicle from my home and back. I'm learning the street smarts I never learned as a kid/young adult.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM

468 posts, read 518,817 times
I lived on Chapel and Dwight back when hair bands were big and grunge was just a gleam in Kurt Cobain's eye. It was not particularly safe or savory. Lots of prostitutes, and I had a couple of attempted break-ins. Things may have changed.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:28 PM

108 posts, read 269,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I lived on Chapel and Dwight back when hair bands were big and grunge was just a gleam in Kurt Cobain's eye. It was not particularly safe or savory. Lots of prostitutes, and I had a couple of attempted break-ins. Things may have changed.
Only if it is for the worse.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
Dwight Street isn't in walking distance to Downtown. It's JUST far enough to be an inconvenience unless you're only walking on really nice sunny breezy spring afternoons, and plan to be home before it gets dark.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM

220 posts, read 522,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Dwight Street isn't in walking distance to Downtown. It's JUST far enough to be an inconvenience unless you're only walking on really nice sunny breezy spring afternoons, and plan to be home before it gets dark.
It's still closer than many other parts of the city (East Rock, Westville, etc.). Google Maps puts a walk from Dwight and Chapel to the middle of the green at 15 minutes.

Again, parts of Dwight probably aren't as bad as they used to be - a lot of students still live there - but I wouldn't want to move my family there.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM

468 posts, read 518,817 times
I didn't find the walk to/ from downtown too far. I did mind some of the harassment from punks hanging around the YMCA. The conversations with the working girls were a mixed bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: