U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 23,133 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking of moving to Conn...Anyone know anything about Bridgeport area? Is it a high crime area? We are looking to move into a diverse neighborhood that is safe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 01:27 PM

43 posts, read 269,409 times
Bridgeport is a diverse city and like any large diverse city, you have areas that are safe and areas to avoid. There are at least 3 areas of Bridgeport that are nicer than some of the others. Black Rock, Brooklawn and the North End. Homes in Bridgeport are priced lower than the rest of lower Fairfield County, but the property taxes are higher relative to the home prices. There is a Metro North Station to NYC and they are building a new station in Black Rock. Email me if you like and we can discuss further.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:29 PM

439 posts, read 648,840 times
Bridgeport is in 'Toney' Fairfield county- and is its 'urban center'- with all the plusses and negatives of a city- once outside of the city there are many nice towns-all with high real estate prices-if possible check into towns in New Haven county (just to the east) Milford, Orange, North Haven for lower housing costs, that offer diversity-with less crime then some areas of Bridgeport.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 36,517 times
DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT MOVE TO BRIDGEPORT...NOR HARTFORD OR NEW HAVEN...ESPECIALLY IF U HAVE KIDS....check out monroe, trumbull, or huntington, if u CAN AFFORD IT AND if u can't, consider moving to north branford, branford, north haven, wallingford areas...u can check out houses on realtor.com gl 2 u...BIGMAMA18

Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 AM

3,435 posts, read 8,979,593 times
Looks like bigmama is afraid of urban areas or anywhere that isn’t classified as a suburb! There are some VERY nice areas of Bridgeport, but they are the minority, same with Hartford. A previous poster already listed the nicer areas of Bridgeport. I am thinking bigmama has never been to Black Rock nor ever seen any other part of Bridgeport other than the blight from I-95. I would say most of New Haven is safe and I would have no problem living there with exceptions to several specific neighborhoods, but that is how EVERY city is.

Personally, I wouldn’t live in Bridgeport, even the nice areas, mainly because the taxes are so high, as will be the car insurance. Unfortunately, the suburbs surrounding Bridgeport can be quite pricey and most are predominantly white (read: little to no racial diversity), though you may find some relative “bargains” for the area in Stratford, which is much more diverse than the surrounding suburbs that bigmama listed like Monroe and Trumbull, which the vast majority of residents there are white with little to no racial, social, or economic diversity.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:18 PM

291 posts, read 1,735,299 times
I lived in Bridgeport and would never again. After being robbed no way! Check out Milford,Shelton,Trumbull,Orange,Woodbridge,Hamden, North Haven, or even Derby.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 36,649 times
[quote=datagirl;51899]Hello,

We are thinking of moving to Conn...Anyone know anything about Bridgeport area? Is it a high crime area? We are looking to move into a diverse neighborhood that is safe?Also about the schools as well. I have kids and want to make sure that I am not making a mistake.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 36,649 times
Thank you for the advise and I saw a home that is off of Main street in Bridgeport what do you think of that arear?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 PM

721 posts, read 1,650,063 times
Re: Bridgeport. Taxes are insanely high. My sil's parents live in the North End and can't leave gas grill, etc. out in the summer--it'll get stolen. Schools are not highly rated. Crime,crime,crime. What does diversity mean to you? Move to the safest, best school area you can afford, and if it's all white so what? Then maybe you'll be the one to begin diversity in that area. Not trying to be rude.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:29 PM

12,269 posts, read 10,836,954 times
Bridgeport actually tried to declare bancruptcy at one time. Don't be fooled by the prices of homes, the city is a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut