Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'll be very happy when my mortgage is paid off. I owe just a bit over $100K on it now.
In the words of KidYankee...must be nice.

Good for you, just remember that there are lots of us in WAY different shoes and it's not because we are stupid or irresponsible etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
In the words of KidYankee...must be nice.

Good for you, just remember that there are lots of us in WAY different shoes and it's not because we are stupid or irresponsible etc.
I would never suggest a guy like you is stupid and irresponsible. And it's only over time that I got into this situation. Five years back, I had a fairly large mortgage balance -- over $500K -- but I brought it down steadily by making extra payments. Prior to that, I was the classic person treading water making minimum mortgage payments.

Keep in mind, I'm probably a decent amount older than you (almost 48), and one of the few benefits of aging is the ability to improve your financial situation if you play your cards right. At 35, I owed 80% of the value of my house (it was a different house than what I have now).

Old 05-01-2010, 05:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
I'll be very happy when my mortgage is paid off. I owe just a bit over $100K on it now.
I told you not to buy that new M5. If you had leased instead, you could have paid off the mortgage.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I told you not to buy that new M5. If you had leased instead, you could have paid off the mortgage.

How did you know?

Please don't tempt me! I actually love the M5 as well as the M3. I have a 5er now (530i), but I could definitely go for an M5. I don't think I'll ever get one, though. Too much money, insurance too high, and I'd get into too much trouble with it (though it would be pretty fun along the way)...

Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
I would never suggest a guy like you is stupid and irresponsible. And it's only over time that I got into this situation. Five years back, I had a fairly large mortgage balance -- over $500K -- but I brought it down steadily by making extra payments. Prior to that, I was the classic person treading water making minimum mortgage payments.

Keep in mind, I'm probably a decent amount older than you (almost 48), and one of the few benefits of aging is the ability to improve your financial situation if you play your cards right. At 35, I owed 80% of the value of my house (it was a different house than what I have now).
That's great to hear on all accounts. Really, I mean it!

My point was that I find many people in CT in your shoes tend to forget that they struggled or that times can change and when you own a 750K house with 150K payments, yea...property taxes are what they are and are a part of life. Hey you get what you pay for. ( ) They tend to forget that some of us are barely making the mortgage, and the extra 200-300 per month in taxes really hurts! So when elections etc come around, said folks tend to get complacent and well...we get the same old same old.

Know what I mean? (Said, "nowImean" in other "areas". )

Old 05-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's great to hear on all accounts. Really, I mean it!

My point was that I find many people in CT in your shoes tend to forget that they struggled or that times can change and when you own a 750K house with 150K payments, yea...property taxes are what they are and are a part of life. Hey you get what you pay for. ( ) They tend to forget that some of us are barely making the mortgage, and the extra 200-300 per month in taxes really hurts! So when elections etc come around, said folks tend to get complacent and well...we get the same old same old.

Know what I mean? (Said, "nowImean" in other "areas". )
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not one of those people. I want to see taxes kept low, and I don't have a very expansive view of what government should be doing.

You're exactly right about the people you're describing. They're called limousine (or latte) liberals.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
BTW.. there are homes in the Sharon area in the 5 - 9 million dollar range either under forclosure or subject to short sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut